The "WTF is that?" thread

bunglebus

Not sure how accurate the archive indexing is, I've just come across two photos advertised as being pictures of an Autobianchi A112 but the featured car is clearly a Peugeot 504 convertible with the lion of Sochaux clearly visible.

Edited by stendec
Typo corrected

3 hours ago, stendec said:

Seen on the 'bay, photo from a "working newspaper archive"

30C26DC4-84A9-4E39-ADA4-A982781253CE.thumb.jpeg.e5b2441f1999cf7d1bc944006175f640.jpeg

back of photo has the following and listing under the title of Innocenti Stelliva

Stellina. The first Italian all-fibreglass production car, dontcha know. Not pretty, but interesting

Autobianchi_Stellina_spider_donne_anni_6

Do you have a link to the seller?

13 hours ago, barrett said:

Stellina. The first Italian all-fibreglass production car, dontcha know. Not pretty, but interesting

Autobianchi_Stellina_spider_donne_anni_6

Do you have a link to the seller?

Thanks barrett, I knew someone on AS could point me in the right direction.

The seller of the photo, IMS Vintage Photos, is in Iceland but the photos appear to come from a German archive.  The link to the photo sale is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144788684156

I was just Googling both and thinking they were separated at birth!

Only things that are bugging me are the end of the side trim that curves downwards, and those little lights next to the boot/rumble seat - can't see either on any Google images. Also the trim on the bonnet sides comes right up the front door unlike the Opel/Moskvitch

Screenshot_20221119-152159_Gallery.jpg

4 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I was just Googling both and thinking they were separated at birth!

Only things that are bugging me are the end of the side trim that curves downwards, and those little lights next to the boot/rumble seat - can't see either on any Google images. Also the trim on the bonnet sides comes right up the front door unlike the Opel/Moskvitch

Screenshot_20221119-152159_Gallery.jpg

USSR got the Russelsheim factory line for K38 as part of the war reparation package, so pretty much the 400 is the K38, but assembled in soviet Russia.

Definitely the angle foreshortening things.  That rear section of trim looks like it's probably a front section from the opposite side, as shown a bit more clearly on this Opel version. 

4511062630_54eb532b9d_b.jpg

The Moskvitch version seems to have an infinite selection of rear light options with owners fitting whatever is to hand and suits.

2494539866_371da3e785_b.thumb.jpg.e86900fc79151dbfa56ebe2eba44da4a.jpg

moskvitch-400_7a790.thumb.jpg.137c0c7d4aa16b1bf2cb78326973ca14.jpg

My grandfather's first car was a late 1930s Opel Kadett, it was 2-door and didn't have a boot lid either, which was a pain. It was bought around 1958 and served for several years as a daily and every summer it was loaded up with people and luggage and driven 1100 km round trip to where my grandmother came from. It had problems with the engine boiling when it climbed the many mountains on the trip, but it got them there and back home year after year. It was replaced with a beetle.

And while he owned it, the neighbor owned a Moskvitch 400 they were very common here.

2 hours ago, Pieman said:

Bentley Wildfowl and Motor Museum, Sussex.  Apparently no longer open to the public, sadly.

That's a shame. It's just down the road from me and it's probably one of the places that helped to shape my love of cars, my Nan would take me there regularly when I was little.