The "WTF is that?" thread

bunglebus

On 4/17/2022 at 1:25 PM, Madman Of The People said:

I agree.  It's time for Oxford Bags to make a comeback!

tumblr_mzj9qbSFPF1qa2j8co1_1280.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5tGRcesGu2lfSLn6C0hH

image.jpg

Oxford-Bags.jpeg

Bit late to the party here but in @1975 I had a pair of 4 button waist, cargo pocketed, fawn coloured bags that could easily cover my size 11 feet. That included the ludicrous sole that extended about 8mm around the outside of the shoe for some reason. Wet tile floors were best avoided.

My educated guess is it's a J55 Land Cruiser which has been 'modernised' to look a bit like a Range-Rover and I'd assume from the landscape it was an African effort so unlikely to be much chance of finding an answer. It's annoying the reg plate has been blurred as that could help tie it to a country at least.

21 minutes ago, barrett said:

My educated guess is it's a J55 Land Cruiser which has been 'modernised' to look a bit like a Range-Rover and I'd assume from the landscape it was an African effort so unlikely to be much chance of finding an answer. It's annoying the reg plate has been blurred as that could help tie it to a country at least.

Presumably re-engineered to explode at regular intervals…..

No photo, I'm afraid, but a taxi related query in regards to something seen in episode two of the third series of The Sweeney, 'Selected Target' (1976).  During one of the many driving scenes that will be familiar to viewers of the programme, a strange looking black cab appears in shot for some time.  It is parked up and static throughout.  The car looks to be the usual black hackney in regular service and has a strong resemblance to the then ubiquitous Austin FX4.  The mystery taxi seems to be identical in size to the Austin, and has a very similar silhouette; my guess is that it has an FX4 chassis and special coachwork, therefore. 

The key difference is the front end: instead of the usual round, sealed beam headlights and traditional upright radiator grille, the mystery car has a full width chrome slatted radiator and rectangular quartz headlights.  That treatment gives the mystery taxi a flatter, more squared off frontal appearance that is more in keeping with seventies styling, but doesn't really blend nicely into the lines of the rest of the body.   It almost looks like an attempt to create the Metrocab long before such a thing existed.  Any ideas?  My guess is that it's a special or running design proposal for updates to the FX4.  Those updates never occurred, of course, as the good old black cab continued unaltered into the nineties...

16 minutes ago, Missy Charm said:

No photo, I'm afraid, but a taxi related query in regards to something seen in episode two of the third series of The Sweeney, 'Selected Target' (1976).  During one of the many driving scenes that will be familiar to viewers of the programme, a strange looking black cab appears in shot for some time.  It is parked up and static throughout.  The car looks to be the usual black hackney in regular service and has a strong resemblance to the then ubiquitous Austin FX4.  The mystery taxi seems to be identical in size to the Austin, and has a very similar silhouette; my guess is that it has an FX4 chassis and special coachwork, therefore. 

The key difference is the front end: instead of the usual round, sealed beam headlights and traditional upright radiator grille, the mystery car has a full width chrome slatted radiator and rectangular quartz headlights.  That treatment gives the mystery taxi a flatter, more squared off frontal appearance that is more in keeping with seventies styling, but doesn't really blend nicely into the lines of the rest of the body.   It almost looks like an attempt to create the Metrocab long before such a thing existed.  Any ideas?  My guess is that it's a special or running design proposal for updates to the FX4.  Those updates never occurred, of course, as the good old black cab continued unaltered into the nineties...

Do you mean a Winchester?

6018992180_91dcbf7910_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, martc said:

Brushfield Street, Spitalfields E1, 1985.

image.thumb.png.81192435c4bec530a286113b82391de0.png

image.png.876a2f4282fa0f9a0232ff81bf60e793.png

Any idea what the mustard coloured lorry is in the back ground? Looks like it has a bonnet - could it be a Magrius Deutz?

Other contenders could be S&D or Dennis. Is that a Volvo diagonal strip?

It is difficult to identify with such a poor picture. The Volvo N7/N10/N12 looks a bit similar, but I feel the truck in the picture is smaller and lower than these.

1827719272_Screenshot2022-10-1121_07_30.thumb.png.9ae85e30f189c1c0c4c952414a44f8dd.png

Edit

But is it a standard truck or cab over engine truck (coe) ? I'm a little unsure about that.

13 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

It is difficult to identify with such a poor picture. The Volvo N7/N10/N12 looks a bit similar, but I feel the truck in the picture is smaller and lower than these.

1827719272_Screenshot2022-10-1121_07_30.thumb.png.9ae85e30f189c1c0c4c952414a44f8dd.png

Edit

But is it a standard truck or cab over engine truck (coe) ? I'm a little unsure about that.

As you say it's a bit small for a bonneted Volvo. S&D (Shelvoke and Dewry) made dustbin lorries and similar for local authorities, they had a slightly protuberant radiator grille, but the front design was 'fussier' than the one in the picture and they often had split windscreens... Dennis had square grilles at the time, but flush with the body work.

image.png.f65f64c5ae69d0ad7ca789910134b342.pngimage.png.8b5d3a93cad5783f99596ffa767557b1.png

20 hours ago, martc said:

Brushfield Street, Spitalfields E1, 1985.

image.thumb.png.81192435c4bec530a286113b82391de0.png

image.png.876a2f4282fa0f9a0232ff81bf60e793.png

Any idea what the mustard coloured lorry is in the back ground? Looks like it has a bonnet - could it be a Magrius Deutz?

Other contenders could be S&D or Dennis. Is that a Volvo diagonal strip?

Ford Anglican?