The "WTF is that?" thread

bunglebus

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1938 Plymouth I reckon. Probably a bottom of the range model.

2088903031_Screenshot2022-08-29at11_37_09.thumb.png.49e2ed6cecdcbe09a6fe733122ea4e7b.png

The video in this link is worth a watch - for period Plymouth-ness!

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2016/03/09/midweek-matinee-sailing-along-plymouth-style-1937

I think these Plymouths are the same as the Chrysler models (assembled from kits in Kew, London) sold in the UK. I believe my grandfather had one of these when he died in 1939, but sadly I have yet to find a picture of him with it.

1 hour ago, martc said:

Here's one from Helsinki...

image.thumb.png.f61cdbb2ff0d89d1b0c92a271f01ae86.png

Titled 'View to the Helsinki Cathedral along Sofiankatu street in the 1950s'. But what is the green car in the foreground? I think the black car is a Volvo PV831.

I'm reasonably sure that it is a 1951 Ford Custom Crestliner which have the shape, distinctive fluted tail lamps, semi-covered rear wheels and a V type emblem on the boot (trunk!).  However, I can only find photos of 2 door versions.

Edit: Ford Custom with 4 doors shares the same features. https://buy.motorious.com/articles/news/365361/1951-ford-deluxe-custom

.....but those external boot hinges are now bothering me!  

Edit :  The 1949 Ford Custom has the same features and the external boot hinges.

Screenshot 2022-09-03 at 17.11.49.png

Edited by RayMK
Found a 4 door version + further comments

• 3 weeks later...

Reverse image search comes up with this Russian site, which offered this explanation via Google Translate:

"A little boring, right? Then here is one of the most interesting cars of the exhibition: a home-made car on the units of the 24th Volga. The body structure is certainly impressive. But the most interesting thing there is the salon! Alas, it was not possible to take a photo, but there is even a TV! Old tube TV!"

Fascinating.