The "WTF is that?" thread

bunglebus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

Either that, or you could buy the rolling chassis/scuttle without paying Purchase Tax  then get a body built for it.

Yes that's probably another reason.

Re-bodying pre-war cars was a popular thing to do in the 1940s-50s.

I'm staying in a holiday cottage, and they have left a photo album of the place through the years  - it does look a lot better than this now! They have had some proper old shite during the years! I don't recognise this one though. I normally know weird old crap, but can't place this one.  Any ideas?

wtf.jpg

7 minutes ago, Chris2cv said:

I'm staying in a holiday cottage, and they have left a photo album of the place through the years  - it does look a lot better than this now! They have had some proper old shite during the years! I don't recognise this one though. I normally know weird old crap, but can't place this one.  Any ideas?

wtf.jpg

It looks a bit like a Lancia Delta HPE which had 3 doors, most Deltas were 5 doored. The shadow from the post makes it look like it's been in some sort of prang.

image.png.8ad4b965e3580e064cf2192b1053394b.png

I have been going through some old photos I had taken at the British Motor Museum in 2019. They were uploaded to my flickr photostream but were left on 'private' .

I was going to ask you all what the flip this was. Until I zoomed in on the signage on the left. Appears to be a coupé version of the Rover P6 called "Gladys" :huh: Looks like a poor man's Aston Martin. I suppose that's what it was supposed to be.

Can't remember what this is!

Cheers, Foden was my first guess but I couldn't find a match on Google.
Edit: Couldn't find any Fodens that looked like that but further digging has uncovered the Hydrocon Hamilton. Might be Foden mechanical bits, I haven't checked  but the body is Hydrocon's own.

5833450671_643c676954_b.jpg

2 hours ago, ProgRocker said:

I have been going through some old photos I had taken at the British Motor Museum in 2019. They were uploaded to my flickr photostream but were left on 'private' .

I was going to ask you all what the flip this was. Until I zoomed in on the signage on the left. Appears to be a coupé version of the Rover P6 called "Gladys" :huh: Looks like a poor man's Aston Martin. I suppose that's what it was supposed to be.

Can't remember what this is!

That was meant to be the replacement for the Alvis TF, designed after Rover took a controlling interest in Alvis but shelved when Rover became part of BL. I think the front end looks great - could have made a nice restyle of the P6 I think

16 hours ago, barrett said:

That was meant to be the replacement for the Alvis TF, designed after Rover took a controlling interest in Alvis but shelved when Rover became part of BL. I think the front end looks great - could have made a nice restyle of the P6 I think

That front was very similar to the proposed P7 six cylinder design, I think the surviving P7 prototype has it. 

Gladys also had a number of features that were to be included on the series 2, including the double bump in the bonnet, the revised instrument binnacle and one or two other features that have slipped my mind.

5 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

That front was very similar to the proposed P7 six cylinder design, I think the surviving P7 prototype has it. 

Gladys also had a number of features that were to be included on the series 2, including the double bump in the bonnet, the revised instrument binnacle and one or two other features that have slipped my mind.

p7story_02.jpg.9aa0153e72b1a994b893ff20a4bb92c4.jpg

The P7 front wasn't as nice as the Alvis, although as it was just a prototype it could have been tidied up.

Something I've spotted last year. The general consensus when I discussed this elsewhere was that it was possibly VW based, but we couldn't find out exactly what it was. It was RHD, had a UK license plate at the front (I cannot remember the reg), a fake "JB-007-SPY" plate at the back, and the front was very Aston DB5/6 like but much cruder.

51390971824_02263ac3b9_b.jpg

51390489658_974fa4504b_b.jpg

Yes, we thought that the door and wing looked similar to that of a Ponton. The instrument gauges have roughly the same shape as well, but it was my impression that they were placed in the middle of the dash. Of course, the dashboard may have been altered as well, though I do not really understand why you would do such thing in a car that's clearly meant to be inspired by classic Astons (which didn't have a central cluster afaik). I am absolutely positive it was rhd. The dash in the biggest resolution I have:

dash.thumb.jpg.333834caee4cce6a4ef943c3a167359b.jpg

Regarding the lack of vents, someone suggested that it may be a prop that doesn't need to be driveable. Could be, I guess.

Edit: I've dug through my archive and appear to have taken a third photo! Which is a lot blurrier, but imo does make it more obvious that it is, indeed, rhd and has a central instrument cluster.

DSC_0981_1.thumb.jpg.d2eb390b15465cfd4879de7c718c835a.jpg

Definitely some mods to the front of the wings, and sills if it is a type 3. Don't recognise the wheels as air cooled VW either. They're on a separate floorpan like a Beetle so it being on a different make/custom chassis is a good possibility 

Screenshot_20220619-192751_Chrome.jpg

image.png.26f9a8da9e98279a1eb557c3a9ecf8b6.png