The "WTF is that?" thread

bunglebus

24 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

I've been intending to build one of those for years. Finding suitable frames is getting harder as they're all odd shaped tubes and funny angles now

Gumtree is your friend for old bikes. My requirements were: disc frame with front suspension. From memory that GT was £40 although it was pretty shagged when I got it. 

Discs, because you can attach the rear sprocket to the disc mount on the rear wheel rather than the rubber-and-cable-ties method suggested by the Chinese. 

Saying that, what do I know, I'm not even brave enough to ride it. 

2 hours ago, Rod/b said:

Given the chain routing i wouldn’t be getting on that without a pair of kevlar long johns and a bulletproof cricket box on. 

It now has improved* chain routing, a guard, and a better chain tensioner.

I'm still not brave enough to ride it

7 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Fiat 1100 TV - it's pininfarina

I've posted a series 2 but the one above looks like a series 1

image.jpeg

I'm gonna respectfully disagree here. I don't see any similarity to a P F 100TV whatsoever and for various reasons it doesn't look like a Pinin Farina design at all. It's a shame it looks like it's had quite a shitty restoration, so hard to know what's original, but the parts-bin tail lamps, clunky eggcrate grille and lack of obvious badging don't make me think Pinin Farina. Sadly I can't offer an alternative, although I'm going to buy the book about coachbuilt Fiat 1100s and see if it's in there

1 hour ago, barrett said:

I'm gonna respectfully disagree here. I don't see any similarity to a P F 100TV whatsoever and for various reasons it doesn't look like a Pinin Farina design at all. It's a shame it looks like it's had quite a shitty restoration, so hard to know what's original, but the parts-bin tail lamps, clunky eggcrate grille and lack of obvious badging don't make me think Pinin Farina. Sadly I can't offer an alternative, although I'm going to buy the book about coachbuilt Fiat 1100s and see if it's in there

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25339/lot/273/

Ah, wrong one!

38 minutes ago, Adrian_pt said:

Bucharest, 1974. Oddly proportioned sedan. I wouldn't be fixated on the Eastern bloc location - literally anything could be found on its streets back then. Not an Opel or a Ford Taunus. Maybe Japanese?

1974_mystery.jpg

Interesting find! It's certainly not a 'production' car from any country, but whether it's a factory prototype or a homemade car I can't say. I think the latter is much more likely, given the cruidty of the wheelarch shapes and fitment of the glass. I would guess Moskvitch or IZH-based, but I suspect we'll never know the true identity. I can't see it in any of the usual sources for Soviet homebuilds but I haven't looked very hard tbh.

1 minute ago, TheOtherStu said:

I've still yet to see anything Zagato that improves it. The designs are definitely marmite.

Bit harsh. Zagato built some of the most beautiful cars in history. The glory days were over by the time the 70s came around, but pretty much everything they did before that was stunning. They were still making incredible stuff right through the 80s - Hyena, Aston, SZ etc. Rarely conventional, but always striking.

Fiat-8V-Zagato-Coupe-107768-1200x750.jpg

1956-Maserati-A6G_2000-Berlinetta-Zagato

Lancia_Flaminia_Super_Sport_05pop.jpg

1961_Aston_Martin_DB4_GT_Zagato_-_fvr.jp

5-11.jpg

14 minutes ago, barrett said:

Bit harsh. Zagato built some of the most beautiful cars in history. The glory days were over by the time the 70s came around, but pretty much everything they did before that was stunning. They were still making incredible stuff right through the 80s - Hyena, Aston, SZ etc. Rarely conventional, but always striking.

Fiat-8V-Zagato-Coupe-107768-1200x750.jpg

1956-Maserati-A6G_2000-Berlinetta-Zagato

Lancia_Flaminia_Super_Sport_05pop.jpg

1961_Aston_Martin_DB4_GT_Zagato_-_fvr.jp

5-11.jpg

See. with those above, they were indeed nice cars, but certainly the ones I recognise (particularly the Aston Martins) I much prefer the originals. I don't really see what they brought to the party. The DB4 GT, for example, was a beautiful machine. I'm aware that Zagato lightened it, but I didn't really get the minor external differences - I prefer the lights of the original which led to the DB5 looks.

2 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

I've still yet to see anything Zagato that improves it. The designs are definitely marmite.

Agreed.
Personal taste and all that but I've never seen a Zagato design I preferred to the original, and quite a few have made me go 'WTF have they done with that...'

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Yes. Do not like front/side opening bonnets, means access is only from two sides rather than three. I'm sure early Fiestas, Dolomites etc had them for some crash safety reason but they suck

I guess the one redeeming feature is that they won't fly open. 

I've only owned one with a front hinge - BMW E34, bloody thing nearly knocked me out once when the gas struts lost a fight with the wind 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Austat said:

Spotted in eye-catching b&ws thread:

13993689115_b6e2230584_b.thumb.jpeg.75836375674c55288e8c44df108fe71d.jpeg

What's this?

89810784_ScreenShot2021-11-29at3_33_13pm.png.ce308018b9c961c79db70074f1b02a23.png

1308158006_ScreenShot2021-11-29at3_33_02pm.png.b5faec251707526f268af67ba91f8071.png

13970605006_2de02ca6a0_b.thumb.jpeg.172a532bd549fbfab4e091648547b9bc.jpeg

Thats a maserati !  

I use to live in that neighbourhood in Amsterdam,  and it was just an old banger back then.   My friends father had a New citroen Gs break, that was the shizzle!!  How little did we know...

The Dutch licenceplates of the maser still Come up , so it's still around.

Screenshot_20211129-085723_RDW Voertuig.jpg