The "WTF is that?" thread

bunglebus

11 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Almost certainly a taxi chassis so it must be either an MX4 or an FX5, with a roadsign and half a trailer thrown in for good measure :shock:The reg belongs to a silver Mazda Bongo though.

So irredeemably snide even if it were done well; it's not so hopefully if it ventures on the road it will get pulled by VOSA, impounded and crushed for the good of humanity.

• 2 weeks later...

Am not sure if we've had this one but brace yourselves, it's serious.

v9rtj8z.jpg

1plSRwx.jpg

hTx0G8d.jpg

8vXUXi7.jpg

LYXSA5y.jpg

c84ysB9.jpg

jvrdDW1.jpg

I can't say I've ever seen that model of Mercedes before, maybe they didn't make them for very long.  The design and general styling was certainly a departure from the rest of the 1999 model range.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a bit of fun for you all. I've seen pictures several times of the ANYCAR made from various vehicles - but I didn't realise there were three of them. Here they are, with the text from the site I found them on. Make of them what you will

A new luxury/economy/intermediate automobile was introduced to the auto-buying public today by one of the nations leading banks. Manufacturers Hanover Trust Co. said it introduced the ForChevAmChrysVagen--or AnyCar--to emphasize the diversity of choice available to car purchasers. Featuring "something for everybody" styling, the AnyCar is a unique blend of 22 different cars — ranging from a Volkswagen to a Lincoln Continental.

AnyCar (1971): ForChevAmChrysVagenAnyCar (1971): ForChevAmChrysVagenAnyCar (1971): ForChevAmChrysVagen - Highlighted is the "modest flower print" of interior upholsteryAnyCar (1971): ForChevAmChrysVagen

AnyCar II, focal point of Manufacturers Hanvover Trust's fall auto loan program, is worthy successor to bank's first AnyCar, "ForChevAmChrysVagen." New AnyCar, created by special car designer Gene Winfield, combines parts of 50 car models dating from 1930s to 1970s. Dominant 1929 Hudson body gives AnyCar II classic "look," and unique blend of modern car models emphasizes diversity of choice available to car purchasers.

AnyCar II (1972) - 1929 Hudson, 1973 Triumph, 1973 Toyota, 1958 Volvo, 1970 Pontiac, 1961 Imperial, 1970 Mustang, 1970 Catalina, 1973 Mercedes, 1971 Dodge, 1969 Cadillac, 1954 Chrysler, 1969 Toronado, 1973 Plymouth, 1967 Volkswagen, 1968 Ford, 1961 Valiant, 1966 Corvette, 1971 Mach I, 1971 ContinentalAnyCar II (1972)AnyCar II (1972)AnyCar II (1972)

"ANYCAR III," as visually dynamic as its two predecessors, is an amalgamation of parts from some 40 different auto makes and models mated to body of a 1974 Volkswagen station wagon. Created by noted car designer George Barris, Manufacturers Hanover Trust's third model of its uniquely designed series of AnyCars is true asymmetrical car. No particular components are dominant nor no two parts similar. In addition, a new dimension has been added to AnyCar III.

Under its hood is four-speed, battery-powered, 27-inch-wide "Mini-AnyCar" designed for short-range travel. With release of lever and push of button it can be automatically lowered from its mother car. "Car for all seasons" is non-pollutant and minimizes fuel crisis and urban traffic congestion problems. It's 2 feet hight, 27 inches wide, 30 inches long and weighs less than 300 lbs.

AnyCar III and Mini-AnyCar (1975)AnyCar III (1975)AnyCar III (1975)AnyCar III (1975) - Cougar, Mercury, DeVille (Cadillac), Volkswagen, MG, New Yorker (Chrysler), Volvo, Jaguar, Lucas, Chevrolet, Toyota, Continental (Mark IV), Ford, Marcal, Matador, ChryslerAnyCar III (1975) - Mercury, Mark IV, Cougar, Chrysler, Toyota, VW Station Wagon, Pinto, Alfa Romeo, Peugeot, Continental, Lincoln, Toyota, Buick, Datsun, Cadillac, Buick Riviera, El Dorado, Astra Cruiser (Olds)

There are a few colour photos floating around the internet too

Manufacturers Hanover Trust anycar loan | Car ads, Car, Vintage carsImage result for manufacturers hanover anycar

The ultimate bitsas: AnyCar I, II, and III | Hemmings

1975 Anycar II : WeirdWheels

And even a video explaining them with some still images

The one containing Beetle is last known to be in South Africa

anycar1repaint2.jpg

1 hour ago, JeeExEll said:

Y not tho,  I think it was just a bit of a laarff.  A bit of mix and match maybe to make people think 'Is this acceptable' or 'I don't like that, it doesn't match'.

Would your cat GAF?

the y tho was aimed at those murrican monstrosities rather than the thread itself

8 minutes ago, martc said:

What wizardry did you employ to do this?

just being apt at internet sleuthing :) (when you have lived on the internet your entire life pretty much you learn how to find things etc on it!)

in this case I reverse google searched the image 

found one the results which was from this reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/WeirdWheels/comments/djsvbm/this_is_awesome/

which  in turn linked to the original place the photoshopped picture was from

as such also contained the original picture as well

https://archived.moe/o/thread/21164818/#21165000

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...