The "WTF is that?" thread

bunglebus

On 1/2/2020 at 10:47 AM, quicksilver said:

PMU516Y1.thumb.jpg.8397be5dca44d418a04436f80111179c.jpg

A customised Granada Cardinal hearse. All pretty normal from here...

PMU516Y.thumb.jpg.f55216c81600189b9e2eb2b8719ed94e.jpg

Oh, okay, it's a Capranada! A difficult transplant, especially as the Granada is significantly wider than the Capri, and nicely done but it does seem to be an entirely pointless exercise. Dead weird.

Reminds me of this, the Caprina.

1710229916_Acapriatrocity.thumb.jpg.ba7be6796377bdcc9eeb789166e10050.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered this interesting Renault 5 van conversion...

0d6b0c41dba3932f33b22ddec51b9c98.jpg.d0733879cdb3dde36d7550cc83c31db3.jpg

Turns out it's by a company I haven't heard of before, Durisotti. At first I thought it was a conversion by one of the more common French car conversion groups for commercial vehicles such as Heuliez or Teilhol, as they seemed the most likely to do something like this. Durisotti is known for oddities such as this beauty based on a Renault Master. 

48161133091_fab6a0a1f7_b.thumb.jpg.cefd1fc62eb52f8ee86df73d405f0347.jpg

11 minutes ago, Austat said:

After some research, turns out it's by a conversion company I haven't heard of before, Durisotti. I thought it was conversion by one of the more common French car conversion groups for commercial vehicles such as Heuliez or Teilhol, as they seemed the most likely to do a conversion like this. Durisotti is known for oddities such as this beauty based on a Renault Master. 

Beat me to it by a few seconds!! Here's their website, still in business - http://www.durisotti.com/

A quick look at the website doesn't show anything particularly whaky but it looks like they are the company responsible for the  Dacia police cars seen around France now-a-days.

2057257229_daciapolicecar.thumb.JPG.bf42d27a367c215374babd5dc65dfc5c.JPG

Just now, martc said:

Beat me to it by a few seconds!! Here's their website, still in business - http://www.durisotti.com/

A quick look at the website doesn't show anything particualaly whaky but it looks like they are the company responsible for the  Dacia police cars seen around France now-a-days.

2057257229_daciapolicecar.thumb.JPG.bf42d27a367c215374babd5dc65dfc5c.JPG

Reading the wikipedia page, one of their specialities is conversions for the police force. The first exports outside of France were Peugeot J7 minibuses that were used in Sweden due to their wheelchair accessibility. 

18841513804_81f0e31a46_b.thumb.jpg.8975354575de86208b72ba901b1552e5.jpg

I'm trying to think, what other french conversion companies are there in France? I'm aware of Teilhol, Heuliez, and now Durisotti, but I can't recall any others. Who made the Citroen CX Tissiers? Were they conversions done by Citroen themselves?

4 minutes ago, Austat said:

I'm trying to think, what other french conversion companies are there in France? I'm aware of Teilhol, Heuliez, and now Durisotti, but I can't recall any others. Who made the Citroen CX Tissiers? Were they conversions done by Citroen themselves?

As far as I know the Citroen conversions were made by Pierre Tissier Coachbuilders - some info here - https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/10/07/six-wheeled-citroen-cx-tissier-custom-la-culture/

Any idea what date's on that copy of l'Auto-Journal?  Might help narrow it down a little.

The overall shape and size seems broadly reminiscent of the Renault R20/R30, but there aren't enough windows.

That horizontal pressing at the bottom of the doors is more consistent with the 5dr Mk1 VW Passat, but again - not nearly enough windows, and the bonnet profile and wheelarches are wrong.

I'm not sure whether I'm being unduly influenced by the numberplates and yellow lamps, but it does look French.

Possibly some sort of project to replace the dated and slow-selling Chrysler 180/Simca 1610, which was ultimately killed off by the acquisition of Chrysler Europe by PSA?

5 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Any idea what date's on that copy of l'Auto-Journal?  Might help narrow it down a little.

The overall shape and size seems broadly reminiscent of the Renault R20/R30, but there aren't enough windows.

That horizontal pressing at the bottom of the doors is more consistent with the 5dr Mk1 VW Passat, but again - not nearly enough windows, and the bonnet profile and wheelarches are wrong.

I'm not sure whether I'm being unduly influenced by the numberplates and yellow lamps, but it does look French.

Possibly some sort of project to replace the dated and slow-selling Chrysler 180/Simca 1610, which was ultimately killed off by the acquisition of Chrysler Europe by PSA?

It's from February 1974, so the Chrysler 180 would of still been quite up-to-date. The front cover doesn't say which company came up with the prototype, so that isn't going to help. Here's the cover anyhow:

1913426008_Lauto-journal.thumb.jpg.4e4d8192020ab1d8cfd5c4f49c6717ca.jpg

This is what Renault were doing for R20 prototypes late 1974 / 75.

Gk3yb5M.jpg

First thought about the blue mystery car was it's maybe an earlier version, but one earlier version of the R20 looked like this, which is quite different.

6qtFqlP.jpg

There's something slightly VW / Audi about the windows on the mystery car, but the Passat was already on sale in 1974. Do the door handles provide any clues? Maybe some sort of Peugeot 504 development?

44 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

Gk3yb5M.jpg

First thought about the blue mystery car was it's maybe an earlier version, but one earlier version of the R20 looked like this, which is quite different.

It must be a 'later version' as the 'R23' was on the cover the previous year, June 1973 (and had been hand-touched into blue for some reason!)

r23.jpg

Our mystery 'Blue' car was on the February 1974 cover

s-l1600-2.jpg

Mystery car looks like a Bertone submission to me, perhaps one of Gandini's, as he liked opening up the window line as shown in his Fiat 128 Coupé Shopping (1969)

Fiat 128 Coupé Shopping (1969)

1 hour ago, Mr Pastry said:

Looks to me like  Simca 1307/Chrysler Alpine, windscreen shape and door handles?

A fair guess, though it seems that the three-window concept for the Alpine had already been agreed by September 1973, before any roadgoing prototypes appeared.

291165075_ChryslerAlpinePrototypes-Sept1973.thumb.png.0ca4eea6eea3be67f4508949598dabdf.png

The PSA V6 link mentioned on the contents page is even more baffling.

Peugeot was still pretty avoidant of hatchbacks until the 1980s, and even then not for their bigger cars; there doesn't look to be much Volvo DNA in there; and Renault were clearly using different styling cues for their developing big hatch at the time.

This is probably going to bug me more than it should!

13 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

A fair guess, though it seems that the three-window concept for the Alpine had already been agreed by September 1973, before any roadgoing prototypes appeared.

291165075_ChryslerAlpinePrototypes-Sept1973.thumb.png.0ca4eea6eea3be67f4508949598dabdf.png

The PSA V6 link mentioned on the contents page is even more baffling.

Peugeot was still pretty avoidant of hatchbacks until the 1980s, and even then not for their bigger cars; there doesn't look to be much Volvo DNA in there; and Renault were clearly using different styling cues for their developing big hatch at the time.

This is probably going to bug me more than it should!

The window frames don't seem to follow the roof line, and that rear quarterlight is familiar, as is the shape of the front edge of the bonnet, but I can't place it.  Maybe it is Peugeot? 

4 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I actually thought it looked like the first-generation Hyundai Pony.

The Pony concept car was flippin' ace (had the look of a De Lorean about it rather than a Renault 20. Some details here -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankahrens/2019/09/06/hyundais-first-car-the-low-tech-pony-inspires-its-latest-the-high-tech-45-concept/

image.png.525088e41fc6df0cda3abb8dc045edeb.png

image.png.dc1d87e60788513fb72b27c36c250be8.png