Can we save this?

DoctorRetro

Being delivered 'this evening' 

I've not yet parted with any money, but I have the cash ready. Apparently being dropped off on a recovery vehicle. 

As for the seller in question, one of their Facebook profile pictures is this. Make your own mind up... 

FB_IMG_1560096934179.thumb.jpg.abcbf98c53e355a6af2cae2545355d92.jpg

And apparently they are a qualified mechanic, so there's every possibility the car is totally fucked. 

Let's hope for a happier outcome than my anxious mind is portraying. 

11 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Being delivered 'this evening' 

I've not yet parted with any money, but I have the cash ready. Apparently being dropped off on a recovery vehicle. 

As for the seller in question, one of their Facebook profile pictures is this. Make your own mind up... 

FB_IMG_1560096934179.thumb.jpg.abcbf98c53e355a6af2cae2545355d92.jpg

And apparently they are a qualified mechanic, so there's every possibility the car is totally fucked. 

Let's hope for a happier outcome than my anxious mind is portraying. 

Positive:  You'll have potentially saved the car from the oval of doom.

Negative: It may be royally buggered and only be fit for the oval of doom. 

Upon reflection: The ad stated it had sat for five years until recently.  My money is shit in the carb or similar fuel related issues due to its relatively long slumber. I genuinely hope it works out for you. I really do quite fancy a 323 at some point. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Positive:  You'll have potentially saved the car from the oval of doom.

Negative: It may be royally buggered and only be fit for the oval of doom. 

Upon reflection: The ad stated it had sat for five years until recently.  My money is shit in the carb or similar fuel related issues due to its relatively long slumber. I genuinely hope it works out for you. I really do quite fancy a 323 at some point. 

Carb doesn't worry me, worst case I'll swap it for a decent one. I've got a car parking space and a 12 month mot, as well as a dormant insurance policy to use. 

So even if it sits for a few months while I save up to sort it properly, it's no worry. 

I do have a target of mid-August though, as I traditionally go to Retro Rides Gathering, and usually in something completely unmodified, just to be awkward. 

Due to it having no virtually no fuel in, I haven't tried it. 

Apparently that's what was the final straw for the bloke, he was trying to get it back home with the fuel light on, and has obviously dragged a load of crap into the carb. 

He was about to 'stick the forklift through the windows and put it on the pile'* to be raced, but then he got the message to say I wanted it. 

*His exact words. 

8 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Isn't 'dragging a load of crap into the carb' just basic bullshit? Has this actually ever happened? 

It's probably urban legend or something, but I have had carb'd cars run like crap after running low on fuel; I reckon perished fuel pipes and the associated rubber flakings you get are more to blame. Perhaps the vaccum of low fuel makes the pipes collapse? Whatever the case, crap does get in the carb. I'm sure it's nothing a carb service, fresh fuel and new filters won't solve

50 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

IMG_20190609_202741.thumb.jpg.ef82c81017248ef1b52941b36d888aa0.jpg

Woo happy to see its been saved :)

it makes me happy to see such a non exciting to many car getting saved :)

it always saddens me when a car with basic issues and a good body shell ends up getting scrapped or banger raced

especially when many cars die of rust and get sent to the scrap yard with good mechanicals

so yeah happy to see it saved :)

8 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Isn't 'dragging a load of crap into the carb' just basic bullshit? Has this actually ever happened?

I'm overjoyed to see this saved. I'd missed the thread, so was bloody gutted to catch up, then find out it had disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Top marks for perseverance!

Well both your and Zels Model 70 did exactly that at 1 point or another IIRC LOL

30 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

it always saddens me when a car with basic issues and a good body shell ends up getting scrapped or banger raced

especially when many cars die of rust and get sent to the scrap yard with good mechanicals

This. Especially how I normally drive to work past a scrapyard with newer cars (by a good 10 years) sat in there looking better than the one I’ve got ?

42 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I'm overjoyed to see this saved. I'd missed the thread, so was bloody gutted to catch up, then find out it had disappeared in a cloud of smoke. Top marks for perseverance!

For many years, I played fuel gauge roulette. Sometimes I won, sometimes I didn't. Needless to say, I did drag some shit up from the tank on occasion. It very much is a thing.