What is a Rover 200 CVT?

dieselnutjob

I have had a customer query me about a Rover 200 CVT. Because we released code that can interrogate the Rover 45 CVT and MGF Stepspeed he was wondering if it would work on a 200 CVT but I have never heard of one of these. 

With the 45 and MGF the CVT transmission is actually controlled by the MEMS3 engine ECU, but MEMS3 didn't exist when the 200 was made and so I am wondering if they had an ECU at all for the transmission or if they are totally mechanical or hydraulic. 

CVT was only on the 216 R3s, so would have been MEMS 1.9

https://blackbox-solutions.com/help/SM002.html

Seems like the only control was:

• Park/neutral switch: This shows the state of the park neutral switch as measured by the MEMS ECU. This switch is used to improve the quality of engine idle speed control on automatic or CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) gearbox vehicles. A fault with this switch will cause the idle speed to dip or rise suddenly when the gear selection is changed between neutral and drive. This display will not work on manual gearbox vehicles.

As has been said already, the R3 216 could be had with the CVT transmission .Developed at the same time as the MGF.

IIRC this was a development of the 114 CVT

My employers were a bit involved as suppliers to Rover and we had a 114 Auto shipped out to Japan for evaluation work.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1.8 StreetWise auto which I think is a CVT.

Is this likely to be Mems controlled ?

Its a complete unknown as I have only driven it three car lengths which it lurched and lunged such that a bit of left foot braking was needed.
The gearbox fluid is brown and possibly too full but its been without use or battery for a while so I dont know if it needs to re-learn anything.
If you are developing code and want to interrogate a Streetwise, let me know.

22 minutes ago, chompy_snake said:

Used to have the R8 216 auto (with the Honda engine), that car had a Honda 4Matic auto box iirc and was fantastic fun.

Anyway, how do you tell which M.E.M.S you have? As in 1.9, 2 and later 3 ?

A MEMS 1.9 has a pressed tin lid with a big X stamped into it, and one loom connector. 

A MEMS2J also has the X but two loom connectors, one black and one red. 

A MEMS3 is wedge shaped.