Saabnut

Month long road trip

Sticking this up tonight as I doubt I will have time tomorrow morning!

I am leaving home tomorrow on a mega road trip in my 30 year old Saab non turbo convertible (which has a blowing exhaust before I leave!). My direct mileage will be about 2200 miles but of course there will be a lot of running around so expect the total miles to be between 2500 and 3000 miles. WCPGW?

Itinary is Aberdeenshire, Carlisle, Weston Super Mare tomorrow.

Shitefest Friday to Monday.

Monday it is over to Crawley.

Wednesday Lemans

Monday back to Crawley.

Weekend after to Sheffield

Weekend after that Sledmere Rally, North Yorks

Then back home.

I will try to update this thread with any interesting spots, highlights etc but as I am on my own will likely be evenings. Should be fun*

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

Itinary is Aberdeenshire, Carlisle, Weston Super Mare tomorrow.

I'm sorry to hear that. 

(Clevedon one junction earlier on the M5 is a much nicer place to walk around the front on)

So far, so good! Now at Weston Super Mare for the night (I will be learning to speak Hairnet!) the sun is out, it is warm and dry!

Left home at 0730 ish, arrived in hotel at 1615.

Stopped at Carlisle for fuel and to grab a sandwich. Then across Carlisle to pick up the new tent. Non stop from there.

Mileage today 516 miles. Not bad for an old 'un, and the car did well too!

No photos from today, the most interesting vehicle I saw on the road down was a pink Figaro. My Saab was the oldest car I saw all day.

Excellent and good luck!

Did a very similar trip a few years back (Edinburgh-LeMans and back) in my MX5 but it wasn't for the race which meant I could drive the track (or part of it anyway.) A thoroughly enjoyable and incident free trip except being in a convertible with no air-con in a traffic jam in the middle of France at 30+degrees was pretty grim!

Having been a cocky shite when posting the above, the exhaust fell off the Saab on the way back from the Classic British Welcome at St Saturnin yesterday. Got lower and lower until it started dragging 100 yards from the camp site. This morning a temp fix with tie wraps got it 30 miles from the 31 required to my shed here. Myself, my brother and a tow rope managed to mostly keep it off the ground where a permanent* fix was done with fence wire.

Back to camp with no problems, should* be fine

Mileage so far 1374

IMG_3731.thumb.JPG.69af2ada14a966e82372de5844542fdf.JPG