Marina-Should I do it or Not(possible project) UPDATED: IT'S RUNNING!

1970mgb

46 minutes ago, 1970mgb said:

I have a lot of good stuff going on in my life now. At the top of the list is getting married in October, but I'm also starting a new job in August and consequently will be moving two states away. I'm furloughed from work, and since I'll only be going back for a few weeks before changing jobs, I've elected to move back in with my parents and so am working now on moving out of my condo hopefully before the end of May.

My bride-to-be also has said that until we can get a nice big house out in the country with a big garage or barn :) , I'm allowed a driver and one fun car/project. Since I currently was one over that number, I had to make a decision, and  picked the Marina to go over the MG.

My mechanic is currently putting an O/D in the MG, and since he likes weird/interesting stuff I asked if he'd be willing to trade the Marina for work on the MG. He agreed, and just left a few minutes ago with it.

I'm sad to see it go, but I left it in good hands and he's excited about getting it back on the road.

IMG_1161.thumb.jpg.8155d7ff0b8327ce3259db153e30a2ef.jpgIMG_1163.thumb.jpg.d9e54efb9d1dd2248acd917e75ad4b6a.jpg

will admit its a bit sad to see it go, but hopefully its off to a good home! :) 

but I will admit im a little bit worried someone might do something silly and stuff an LS V8 into or such, given how its such a rare and obscure car it would be a shame to modify it extensively!

but maybe (hopefully!) in true shitter fashion after everything settles down once more, you can buy it back from him! :) 

17 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Congratulations on the forthcoming nuptials and the new job! To which state are you heading?

Sorry to see the Marina go, but it sounds like it will have a good future, in safe hands.

I appreciate the congratulations! I'm moving to the St. Louis, MO area but will actually be in Illinois. Of course my fiancé would live in a state with really high taxes that borders a state with really low taxes and cheap gas :) , but she's been there all her life and her family is still there. As a bit of a side note, Illinois legalized recreational marijuana last year, so people joke that you go to Missouri for gas and Illinois for grass :) .

As a side note, my mechanic just called me. He'd made a stop on the way back to his shop, and while in the parking lot someone flagged him down. Seems that the guy who flagged him down had a Marina at home also-his wife had bought it new in 74, and it's a nearly identical blue GT. The real kicker is that this man and his wife live about two blocks from my mechanic's shop("yes, the one with a Jeep welded to the top of a box truck on top of it"). They exchanged contact info, so once "my" Marina gets back on the road they hope to have a reunion.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:19 AM, New POD said:

You don't need a servo, on a drum braked car, because drums are self servoing. I'm fairly sure that the early 1.3s would have been mechanically the same as an A30.

A professional classic motoring journo would know this sort of pointless detail.  But I'm only guessing. 

In any case a servo won't improve the brakes performance.  It can not change the physics of the friction materials.  It will mean you dont have to press as hard.  

A bloke I worked with Roger Perks, of Coventry University worked for AP Lockheed in the 70s and was called to BL to investigate the reason one or 2 of their cars were not braking in a straight line.

Marina? assembly line had drums on one side and discs on the other.  I'm sure it was the Marina assembly line. 

When I worked for BL we had one of those in. It came in for a service and the owner complained of it pulling to one side. That is what we found, drums one side, disks the other.  It went straight back to the factory.

When my mechanic picked it up yesterday, I was talking through the differences between the 4 door and the GT, namely that the doors are the same between the two. I also pointed out the one stand-out feature of the GT, namely that it has a tachometer.

His astute observation was "So THAT'S what GT stands for-Got a Tach!"