Multiple choice commute - how do you pick your steed?

clayts450

Now I have a 'fleet' I find it increasingly difficult to choose a car to commute into work each day as they each have redeeming features:

Streetwise - small and perfect for parking close to work

620 - for when I'm feeling lazy and want the car to do all the work, including changing gears. Also sunroof. Interestingly, I'm never stressed driving this car, so good for absorbing stress both on the way in to and back from work

420 - for when I feel like a good lary hoon into work and to be able to drive like a hooligan. Sunroof also.

I'm now just cycling through them so they each get at least one run into work each week, sometimes two.

How do you choose which car to take you to t'factory ?

4 minutes ago, Maurice Marina said:

Funnily enough I’m now working in Nottingham in a really crowded car park so battered Micra it is.

Not a care in the world other than the 180 mile per day round trip...

Sorry, 90 miles each way every day in a micra.  You are a ledgend (or something that ends in End) 

How do you cope? Even if it was 99% clear motorway that must be 3 hours every day. Maybe 4? 

6 hours ago, New POD said:

Sorry, 90 miles each way every day in a micra.  You are a ledgend (or something that ends in End) 

How do you cope? Even if it was 99% clear motorway that must be 3 hours every day. Maybe 4? 

Not too bad. Just under 2hrs as it’s motorway all the way. 

Thats 2 hours in total or 4 hours in total.

One requires 100 leptons cinsistently and the other to at least be above 50 all the time.

I assume the later.  

My current comute is 70 miles each way.  1 hr 20 in the morning. And up to 2 hours in the evening.  This week i am staying in a hotel costing 30 quid which has a 1.3 rating out of 5 on every review site.  The o.3 is probably because ive reviewed it at 5 more thsn once. 

I am however going home tonite.

My commute was 120.miles a day, but I did this on a motorbike. I got fed up with the bikes I used for commuting (usually Bandit 600' Diversion 600 and 900, GS500, etc. etc). Used to buy anything cheap until tyres/chain/sprockets wore out, then flog it and buy something else

Mostly the choice has been down to one of late, the Honda Accord. The others were/are either SORN or broken! Occasionally use the Prelude as neither SORNed or broken, but never when taking Dog Beard as the Prelude is far too nice for dog duties. Now the Tacuma has rejoined the fleet am using that fairly regularly. Head gasket, timing belt etc jobs now done. The exhaust is blowing and crusty on the Tacuma but have a new one in the garage yet to fit. Just making sure I had done the head gasket and timing belt change properly and the car works as it should before embarking on another axle stand grubaround marathon. 

I've got a 10 mile commute that's usually fairly busy so the Exploder is ideal-being an automatic and high up I can just woofle along. The S4 gets used occasionally but not too much, I tend to save it for long distances  where it comes into its own. 

I try and cycle at least once a week depending on the weather, this week is pretty shite though so I'm car bound.

Might take the MR2 one day but it'd just encourage me to drive fast.

This;

20190514_164957.thumb.jpg.c46245608fddb3d0d07e6fecf7e57488.jpg

As much as I like it, it isn't much cheaper than the BMW on fuel and it's kind of less comfortable. Its a great looker, pretty fast but I can't seem to hit more than 42mpg on a commute of mostly long fast-ish A-roads and motorways.

20160209_160927_zpssfilyzyg.jpg.3f98e53632c739256908f87e45d2d0eb.jpg

BMW has sparingly been used. Mostly because it's still broken.

Preferably I'd get shot of both at and get a Renault Clio/Vauxhall Corsa dizzler for work and a BMW 530d tourer / Merc W124 estate for the weekend/tip runs but thats not very likely right now.

Going for a meal or sometimes into town: Mercedes. Because, a 16 year old fuel slurping rust bucket ML still seems posher than 1 9 year old, fuel slurping rust bucket Puma.

Anywhere within about 15 miles involving B-roads, decent A-roads or dual carriage ways with traffic lights: Puma.

Short, not buying bulky things trips into town: cycle or scooter.

Shopping, picking missus up/dropping her off: Galaxy.

For everything else there's a recovery truck, or a fucking British motorbike that doesn't run properly for very long. 

Some years ago I used to commute from the south side of Southport to the north side of Preston, and back, 27 miles by the shortest route because I had to get across both towns as well as the space between.  Took the car I happened to have at the time, which was a Volvo 740 estate I'd bought for tip-runs etc.  And it was perfect.  Relaxing to drive (auto and GLE, so lovely velour seats and lots of toys), powerful (2.3 injection) and slightly scuffed so nobody got in my way ;)  Well would you argue with a confidently-driven old Volvo?

If I ever have a commute like that again (unlikely) then I'll be looking for another Volvo estate.

Good question. If I'm not careful it's whichever one is parked nearest the road at the end of the weekend, which then gets used most of the week cos I CBA to swap them around. If I'm feeling conscientious though I will swap them around so they all get some regular use.