Plantshite

warch

Old Mogs are glorious, the original version was absolutely teeny and so utilitarian it made the contemporary Series One Land Rover looks a bit overstyled.  I like the 'bullnose' ones in the second picture they lasted in production for years, apparently the bog standard soft top version was sold as the cabrio. 

I preferred driving the even possibly more basic SAMIL 20 or 50 which we definitely not a rip of of Unimog as that would have been unethical and they were only ever used a agricultural vehicles.    Even the Belgium MOL's I've driven  was more basic and still running aircooled Maggie D diesels.   Will have a look fo some photos.

7 hours ago, castros_bro said:

I mainly like this,

Though it was in better condition before the briefcase photo, Soviet drill rig, 6 cylinder flat head with starting handle in the front, whilst on the back a diesel tractor engine with PTO as kelly drive, flat head single with pull start as donkey engine to start diesel engine., winch drum and cable to lift mast. And it all worked. And It was mine but unfortunately still in Kathmandu

RIG.jpg

What manner of holes were you drilling?

2 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

Mercedes also made a tractor loosely related to the Unimog, unimaginatively called the MC-TRAC. Fairly obviously inspired JCB's Fastrac imho.

mb-trac-1300,fcddef4e.jpg

That's beautiful, I especially remember them as I had a Britains toy one for Christmas in the mid-80s. They were quite a big tractor for the day, 125hp was serious power back then. There are definite similarities with the Fastrac too, in terms of design and intended purpose. 

On 1/19/2020 at 11:13 AM, warch said:

Before I forget, have a Grimme self propelled spud harvester. This spent about a week marooned outside my folks place during this year's unusually wet potato harvesting season, whereupon the contractors basically gave up and went home. 

bCHZuUb.jpg

That's the earlier version with two huge wheels mounted very close together at the rear and rear wheel steering. Later models have the tracks at the rear (also steerable) and what almost look like bicycle tyres up front with insane steering angle.

mqdefault.jpg

Living in Kent I often get the odd glimpse of farm plant but that's about it. I had a job in Sittingbourne and would often encounter JD vehicles from the nearby farm - usually a 7rT or bigger frame 6Rs. Best spot was an early(about 630am) convoy of easily 10 6Rs, all pulling high sided carts, with a forage harvester at the head.

Second best spot was a Claas Terra Trac  harvester of some sort, with a Scorpion Telelift towing the header, causing all sorts of traffic problems in the back roads between Sittingbourne and Gillingham. I think I was the only person happy to see them. I do often see NH tractors on be back of trucks near Dartford. My g/f always sees something at the roundabout near ThanetEarth but I'm rarely down that far East.

Finally, I was supposed to have a tractor experience as a birthday present this year. About half an hour each in a modem 6R and a classic Case 1455XL - cancelled, obviously.

21 hours ago, rickvw72 said:

Good thread, I teach at an agricultural college and we have many shite plant vehicles. At leat four old Massey Ferguson’s, Grimme harvester as above, but my favourite is this:

1989 JCB Telehandler. Still in use, this old things do much more reliable than the newer ones (not much change from 60k!)

it’s done 9000 hrs so not bad for age, Perkins phaser powered and complete with four wheel steer, four wheel drive, and a couple of ton lift. So useful. 

56A125B2-EC2D-4136-9C14-59787294B1BF.jpeg

Id like to see anything else you have to show, shite or otherwise. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

PYN8fVn.jpg?1

Broke out the old girl(s) to do a spot of archaeology, five trenches. I had planned to hand dig them but wisely decided not to as it would've taken ages, especially backfilling.

wMlaNGe.jpg?1

I did choose the wettest possible weather conditions to back fill, which left the machine and my trailer in a horrible state (pictured with the worst of the mud cleaned off). It did do a really good job. I don't think a more modern machine would have done any better really.

They've not really moved on in performance in 30 years; the engines are lighter, quieter and more efficient, the pumps are more efficient, the controls are playstation joysticks rather than levers physically attached to spool valves, but the cylinders wanging the bucket around need to be a finite size to provide force as physics on a macro scale has been settled since Bramah invented hydraulics.

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

They've not really moved on in performance in 30 years; the engines are lighter, quieter and more efficient, the pumps are more efficient, the controls are playstation joysticks rather than levers physically attached to spool valves, but the cylinders wanging the bucket around need to be a finite size to provide force as physics on a macro scale has been settled since Bramah invented hydraulics.

Mine lacks a turntable which is not really an issue for digging trenches in open ground and the hydraulics are slooow, which makes some procedures a bit tedious, but it does dig a nice neat trench. It has immense digging power too for such a small machine, comparable to a 1.5 ton machine (usually the smallest size we use on site) and the 0.9m bucket width does a 2m trench in two runs, much like a 1.5 tonner. 

The engine (400cc Honda petrol) is bloody noisy but managed three days use on three gallons of petrol, the controls are shite but do the job. I could spend 5 or 10 grand on a newer machine and not get a higher workrate out of it.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...