Elderly - Best car for Access

gadgetgricey

Wont bore with the details but basically my Dad is not very well and is now being cared for by myself and wife.
However we still need to get him to Hospital/Docs on a fairly regular basis.

Having issues with transport as issues with all of the current "fleet", either too low (Vw Golf/Rover 75) or too high (Freelander)

Was thinking Scenic/Picasso/Sharan etc, Middle Ground on height and large doors for easy access.

Any thoughts suggestions appreciated.

If flexibility is a problem the distance from the seat back to the A post matters, when my lady had a crocked hip my 2000 4 door Polo was better than the 1989 4 door Mercedes S class. The Merc had much more legroom when in though. My Porsche 944 wasn't good for the same reason when my back wasn't so great. 

16 minutes ago, SiC said:

Jazz. Always a Jazz is the answer to these sort of questions. 

All the oldies love a jazz.

mum got one about 10 years ago and dad has just given up and got one too. 

I have to say, for good reason. It’s a good car . If it didn’t have the pensioner chic it would be  the perfect town tool for families. The access and folding seats were clearly at the top of the designers list.

Problem is the passenger seat access. Until recently he was still fairly mobile and used his Golf daily.

However with the health change he is only ever the passenger. Think the Golf was fine before as he had the steering wheel to help.

Now he does not have anything to hold onto for getting in and out. Hence why thinking Picasso etc, so that he could almost walk into the seat.

Cheers all for the responses.

Toyota Yariseseses were very well regarded for ease of access when the mk1 came out, certainly our one that Jim Bell has now (I think?) had a nice high seating position so you didn't fall into it, and getting back out was a case of swivel 90 degrees and just stand up from a normal seating position. its got a decent grab handle too. I'd say that a 3-door will have better access for a front seat passenger, at the expense of practicality if there is more than 2 people on the journey?

I think the Verso is better in this respect but they rust more from what people on here have said.

A Jazz, a Note or a Kia Soul would suit the Bill. They’re that good middle ground height. I also had a Seat Altea that was absolutely great for access, my granny (82) loved it. She really struggles with my Lexus RX (I have to lower the seat and lower the suspension).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking from experience of vehicles I've owned and also being disabled,(left side hemi paresis and a mini stroke in 2017) I've found mpvs to be best bet but vans with steps in the doors like tranny's etc are a no no. Citroen picasso and Renault scenic (early ones,I won't entertain the MK2  from 2004 onwards) are fantastic cars. Scenic is easier to get in and out of than picasso and boot is slightly bigger. Citroen Berlingo multispace is very good also bit is very noticeable that it's a car derived van so bouncy ride, rattling trim and a bit boomy at certain speeds. Plenty of space in the boot though and sliding rear doors make for good entry and exit. Hope this helps. 

I had an ex with quite severe MS, and when she wanted to look for a new car she just wanted wide doors and minimal space between door shut and seat edge so she could get her bum on the seat base and swivel herself round into the car. She found a Mk1 Kangoo was easiest for her, followed by a Nissan Note.

I recommend the Kangoo, Berlingo, Doblo type things with sliding doors as they are easier in awkward parking spaces , especially if you have to be there to help someone in and out of the rear seat. 

My great aunt's favourites to be taken out in were my MG Midget and Morgan 4/4, an absolute ordeal to get her in and out, but she loved it. 

My mother, who was quite short and not very agile/mobile loved my brother's Range Rover  (we used to take a milk crate with us to use as a step)

Other things with big wide doors and comfy seats are usually the big coupes, so if you've always fancied a Mercedes SEC, it might be a thought and if you want him to have some of the fun of driving, go for a left hand drive, but always let him sit in the front.

1 minute ago, anonymous user said:

On a slightly more serious note, a friend used to take her mum in their Smart, it had big doors and easy seat and enough room in the back for her wheelchair, not much good if you need to carry another person as well though.

Now that's a really good shout.  Nearly bought the one that Montytom was selling a while ago as was looking for something cheap and cheerful/small for the kids to learn to drive in.

Who'd have thought a Smart could be an multi purpose vehicle.