1998 VW Alhambraxy or something. Ouch.

DoctorRetro

Got annoyed at this. 

IMG_20190602_140551.thumb.jpg.6773e83e3083f057725828e8f2899f38.jpg

So did this. 

IMG_20190602_140729.thumb.jpg.6dbd84821f7c0b5daccec1b3194510b1.jpg

And this. Which was silly as I didn't have a fine enough sandpaper to achieve a decent finish. The one I did came out horrid. No pics of that, I'm too embarrassed. 

IMG_20190602_140554.thumb.jpg.fe84e8ddfe260b26ef9b9be819a3ff4d.jpg

So just gave the rest a spray over the crappy bits. Suzuki Silky Silver seems to be a perfect wheel trim match. Looks OK from 10 yards. Except the one I ruined. That needs 50 yards. And is the wrong colour. 

IMG_20190602_142023.thumb.jpg.c14e02bf446162772845f1320b87a1a7.jpg

CD player stopped working today. Not fuse related, was still showing standby light. 

Started pulling it out to try to find a reset button, but found nothing. Unplugged it and checked the fuse in the back. Nothing obvious. 

Put it back together and pushed into the dash. Turned it on. Works fine. 

Odd. 

On 6/2/2019 at 6:22 PM, TheDoctor said:

Got annoyed at this. 

So just gave the rest a spray over the crappy bits. Suzuki Silky Silver seems to be a perfect wheel trim match. Looks OK from 10 yards. Except the one I ruined. That needs 50 yards. And is the wrong colour. 

IMG_20190602_142023.thumb.jpg.c14e02bf446162772845f1320b87a1a7.jpg

It's the thought that counts.

I really enjoyed mine. 115bhp and auto, used to motor well and I liked the high seating position. Comfy on long runs. Needed too much doing for the mot though, smoking, rust etc. Was a lovely vehicle to own though.. You never had any worries about fitting things inside, no worries in that regard. It can be a bit tiring lifting those bloody seats in and out though! Also, used to get a bit hot in the summer due to the huge glass area, and the aircon didn't work, which I think is a common issue on these. I would still like another. Fancy an Alhambra this time 

She’s a good old girl.

I’ve got the paperwork, probably the towbar and the remaingig wind deflectors in the garage.

The suspension clonk might* be because some idiot took the false bulkhead off to top up the brake fluid and left it off overnight and discovered later that this allows the suspension top mounts to fill with water.

They’re also relatively cheap to replace, i just timed out on doing it.

Although you have swivel seats, it’s as effective to put your sprig in the rear row and put the first row in backwards for picnics, etc. (yes the seats mount in reverse if needed but belts obviously no use.

Alternatively, you can mount the rear two backwards for fishing out of the back of the van or dodging the rain with a sarnie.

In case you we were wondering, the lifetime supply of yellow fuses in the glovebox are becuase the heater fan trips every now and again on full whack.

i suggest changing the pollen filter or just swapping a fuse often. It’s the bottom right one and is therefore easy to locate but not* the sort of thing you’d become expert at whilst driving.

if you want all the bits above let me know. 

It’s also the car my kids loved the most “The red caravan!”up until they became bourgeois and seduced by the rear armrests in the Sharan, I suppose they haven’t developed the mechanical sympathy to realise I’m driving around a fucker of a misfire*

Which if I ever get it to the garage can be resolved with a new non blowing manifold.

6 hours ago, Ohdearme said:

It’s also the car my kids loved the most “The red caravan!”up until they became bourgeois and seduced by the rear armrests in the Sharan, I suppose they haven’t developed the mechanical sympathy to realise I’m driving around a fucker of a misfire*

Which if I ever get it to the garage can be resolved with a new non blowing manifold.

Urgh, I hate misfires. I've been known to get rid of a car / sell it / throw things/ spend far too much money  because of the tiniest splutter. 

Not good when I usually drive carburettored cars. 

Every Lada I owned had the complete fuel system and carb replaced not long into my ownership. 

Fuel injection is witchcraft to me, so expect the Galaxy to be only for sale when it first splutters or coughs. 

:D

Car has rewarded me buy being a twat. 

Driver's door lock will unlock, but returning it back to the centre position to remove the key re-locks it. 

Had a comical 5 minutes trying to find the sweet spot to get the key out and leave it unlocked ?

I'll be using the passenger side to unlock in future. 

Ironically the driver's side is a replacement from a VW/Seat, and the passenger side is origin Ford. 

1 hour ago, snagglepuss said:

Are you only turning it a tiny bit? I think if you turn it too far then it isn't a happy bunny.

On plus side if you open passenger side you can slide across the bonnet to get in!

Yeah, mostly. But obviously it's difficult to do that all the time, so I think I've upset it. 

I had one, well two over the years to be precise. It was massive and had a pd in it. Think it was a 2002.

One day me and the Mrs had drove it back to Scotland from England and I noticed it was tapping like a champion.

Pulled the rocker cover off and one of the rocker bolts had sheared off and luckily was just sat in an oilway. I removed the other bolt and the rest of the sheared one just came out nicely. Quick £4 replacement and it ran up to about 215k when we sold it. It was a horrid shade of vw silver that always looked mucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fit one of those evilbay £10 central door locking kits to it. They are supposed to be simple to fit to these cars and I believe you can fit it by just removing the drivers door panel and wiring it in to the permanent live there, with room for box behind panel.

'Fixed' the missing horn button (I'd pulled the other one off in an effort to discover how it fixed on.) 

IMG_20190612_103552.thumb.jpg.9349f2d2a8cc2b12675ba75bd9696a4b.jpg

IMG_20190612_104516.thumb.jpg.29ea72133fc059f19d2aa72a6d8fca63.jpg

Turns out the fixing tabs are broken, so instead of pulling the steering wheel apart, I've cut down the inside bit so it just rests in place, will stick it down somehow. It won't be operational, but will stop annoying me.