Shite cars outside posh houses

brownnova

It always makes me smile to see a house in Edinburgh worth significantly more than mine with what is clearly a million mile W124 estate parked outside. There was a house on Cluny Drive that always had a very, very well worn Bristol 408 parked outside.

As has already been pointed out old money has too many roofs, death duties and historic debts run up by ill-behaved yet highly theatrical family members to pay for to let them  fritter money away on modern tat.

22 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

Old money always has shite cars outside.

If you see a spanking new Range Rover in front of the stately home, thats new money. 

Yes a late friend of my dads had a school worth a fortune and had a fleet of shite cars, not one was under ten years old at the time. 

11 hours ago, brownnova said:

Also... the camper outside Chatsworth house.

86AD1B3C-B59B-40B4-B562-7713BDBE1847.jpeg

For some reason i have hatred of the Devonshires.  Its not the politics of envy.

Although my politics might just hate all with hundreds of years of exploiting commoners.

2 hours ago, SRi05 said:

I worked in a lawyers office a couple of years ago and one of the partners drove a battered old Avensis, and another a rusty saab. These folk were easily millionaires ? there were others who had some really nice stuff but those two always made me chuckle

Thing is, a decent mechanic, just gets on and fixes it, using genuine parts, and never discusses whether its worth it. 

Application of durable car ownership.

I'm from Guisborough originally, live around 6 miles away now.

Yes I've seen the news about their food hygiene rating, thankfully that picture was taken in June 2016 so long before any issues! The only other time I've been back was half pissed just before Christmas for a couple of drinks in the bar!

There's a street called Avenue Rd that runs between Swiss Cottage and Regents Park that has some quite pricey  houses on it, many are Ambassadors Residencies , so have normal Diplomatic plated Mercs on the drive , but others have Phantoms, Ferraris etc, all except one particularly tasteful looking house that has a 940 estate on the drive. I don't think it's a staff member's as it's the only car there and always slap bang in the middle of the drive.

Don't they claim the one of the IKEA brothers who owns it drives a 20yr old Volvo?

I often think that these are the sensible people in life as often the cars they drive were good cars back in the 80's/90's and not cheap but still from am era where you can actually fix them and not fret too much of you get a dent or scratch on one.

Plus I bet the average burglar thinks the people are worth fuck all who own them and move onto the new Audi Q798351/BMW M2.34579 on the drives house only to find a dripped up 99" TV rather than 1989 Volvo boy who has a priceless price of artwork in his hallway!!!

11 hours ago, Faker said:

Loving the fiat ducato. Looks in good shape 

It looks better in the pictures than up close!! Needs some work on the arches!! 

11 hours ago, Kringle said:

I think the op was thinking more along the lines of the owners of the house rather than us turning up for a cream tea in a gold proton badermatic!

Naaah either one is good! I think it’s great to park your shite in front of a stately home as much as it is to see the owner of a stately home with a knackered old FSO Polonez! 

Hope you've been to specsavers...

main_house-of-binns_daffodils_0218_cb272

House of the Binns (even has a shite name) just outside Edinburgh, the Rover 75 you can just see in the picture (under the big tree) belongs to and is regularly driven by the present Laird, the house now belongs to the National Trust but the family still live in one of the wings.

Photo stolen from the NTS website as not having any photographic evidence to support my claim I thought I'd at least post a picture of the house. Only on closer inspection did I notice that the Rover actually featured!

There are some lovely houses in Otley / Ilkley west Yorkshire I would say a third of them are in the £500,000 price band  and above category. A lot seem to have barely maintained sheds of all kinds outside. One near otley chevin  has a lovely DS parked next to a fairly rotten Peugeot 309. Early nineties corollas seem in abundance here as do ancient Micra's , older population I'm guessing. I'll get some photos next time I'm passing through.

The Duke of Westminster used to drive a white E-reg Orion with the front bumper held on by gaffer tape - a total shed even at the time (about 1998). His son was briefly at primary school with me - one of those very Cheshire places full of blonde (new-money) housewives talking about "soooocial tooone". One of them took it on herself to berate him for driving such a car, before loweeing her voice and saying "I hope you don't mind me asking, but are you... struggling?". DoW promptly lit a fag and informer her who he actually was.  Wonderful to see.

There's a few great 30+ year old daily drivers around Belgravia and Westminster - my favourite being an A-reg Honda Jazz.