theorganist

I have just put a deposit down on............

There was until fairly recently a gold/bronze ish coloured Renner 5 1.7 Monaco a couple of streets away from my house. The guy had it years but it seemed well looked after and very tidy. Always made me wonder why anyone bought a tiny car with a big engine and full spec. It must have been expensive when it was new.

theres a mk1 5 near here too, I’ll try to grab a pic of it when I go past next.

Hello

Newbie here finally posting something  ;-)

Nice old mk 2 R5, I had the 5 door automatic version of that, drove well & sodding comfy !

Be careful of the bleed screws in the top hoses. Some genius at Renault thought they were a good idea but the hose perishes around them. I know as I once came back from a run, opened the bonnet & had hot antifreeze & water just miss my face when it split !

Cheers

4 hours ago, GeordieInExile said:

Mmmmmmmm nice. There are two of these within half a mile of me!

Running or dormant? It doesn't seem long ago where these were everywhere, well like most cars of the period I guess, but I rarely see one of these yet still see quite a few Metro's and mark 1 to 3 Fiestas>

2 hours ago, RobT said:

Excellent stuff.  Bit of weldage and away you go...!

I'd also like an early Supercinq, but in auto flavour as I'm a masochist.  Good ones are starting to get expensive, relatively speaking.

There seems to be quite a few auto's about, they must have sold quite well. Prices are rising certainly.

22 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I see this locally quite often. Not many 3-door Monacos about

33865041848_8cf2e5f4ae_k.jpg20190430_095552 by RS, on Flickr

47689233792_4c706f3ed6_k.jpg20190430_095537 by RS, on Flickr 

Cool, I always wanted the Monaco.

I'm sure It had some sort of mental back parcel shelf that you could store things in (it had a zip on it) .

The leather interior looked uber plush on these.

I am having some issues starting the Renault at the moment. It turns over but doesn't fire, I have bought a spark tester which confirms there is a spark and it appears no petrol is getting into the carburettor. 

My one thought is that it could be a seized fuel pump are there any sure fire ways to check or would tapping it with something likely work? It is currently pointing upwards on my rather steep drive, could that be a contributory factor, the car hasn't been used for a good fifteen years?

Any advice gratefully received, thanks. 

7 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I would dribble a little petrol into the carb and see if it coughs. Could be pump, could be that fuel has drained back.

Thanks, sounds like a plan. I shall give it a whirl tomorrow. If the worse comes to the worse there are several pumps on ebay.

Could be the fuel is so old the octanes have all flown away.  Maybe try some easystart or an independent fuel supply so you know you have proper combustibles going in.

Fuel pump is mechanical and shouldn’t jam up but possible the diaphragm has split. Replacements used to be dirt cheap back in the day.  These engines are as simple as they come, shouldn’t take much to get it rattling away.  And it will rattle a bit but that will just be the tappets!

How long has it been stood up? I made the mistake of flushing out the old fuel and replacing the pump in one operation when getting my current daily MGZS back on the road after a three year lay-up. I don't know which act solved the problem but the fuel was waxy and blobby after sitting in the tank for years.

33 minutes ago, Garythesnail said:

How long has it been stood up? I made the mistake of flushing out the old fuel and replacing the pump in one operation when getting my current daily MGZS back on the road after a three year lay-up. I don't know which act solved the problem but the fuel was waxy and blobby after sitting in the tank for years.

It has been stood since at least 2005. I did put a gallon of petrol in, I notice the fuel gauge doesn't work but that is probably because the sender unit is jammed.  I shall get some more tomorrow and try a little in the carburettor see if I can get it to run a little. Funnily enough the Maxi started fine (after changing the coil) despite having petrol in it from 1995 with only a small amount of fresh fuel added.

I know they are quite tappety engines, I had the 1.2  in my last Renault 5. I enjoy the sound of them though! 

On 5/28/2019 at 4:49 PM, danthecapriman said:

There was until fairly recently a gold/bronze ish coloured Renner 5 1.7 Monaco a couple of streets away from my house. The guy had it years but it seemed well looked after and very tidy. Always made me wonder why anyone bought a tiny car with a big engine and full spec. It must have been expensive when it was new.

Built for people who liked comfy, but didn't want to drive a big car, see also Vanden Plas 1750. (Princess Margaret had a Renault 5 Monaco)

If it hasn't run for 15 years I would assume the worst of everything in the fuel side and not even try and start it before cleaning out the carburettor, which I would then supply "off line" by gravity from a can.

Pump diaphragms can split, rubber hoses rot and collapse, tank and pipes rust- it may all need a deep clean at the very least.

16 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I would dribble a little petrol into the carb and see if it coughs. Could be pump, could be that fuel has drained back.

Well I took your advice and after a couple of attempts and a bit of spluttering it started and it seems to run fine. I do need replace at least one fuel hose as it has disintegrated where it enters the carburettor.

If one hose has died, the others will all be close behind, breaking up internally and jamming everything up. Replace the whole lot before you run it on anything other than an external can, ( via your existing pump ) or you’ll have continual problems for months. 

I’ve just resurrected a Sao Penza , off road  over 20 years that another had hooked on the old fuel. I’ve replaced everything, but am still getting probs.  

Getting the old fuel all out is an issue, and modern fuels need modern  pipe! 

10 hours ago, nigel bickle said:

If one hose has died, the others will all be close behind, breaking up internally and jamming everything up. Replace the whole lot before you run it on anything other than an external can, ( via your existing pump ) or you’ll have continual problems for months. 

I’ve just resurrected a Sao Penza , off road  over 20 years that another had hooked on the old fuel. I’ve replaced everything, but am still getting probs.  

Getting the old fuel all out is an issue, and modern fuels need modern  pipe! 

Yes I will replace them all as I don’t want any fires either, this one was very gummed up when I took it off. Might fit a fuel filter too. 

There must be barely any Sao Penzas left, I never saw one when they were new! How’s your 14 doing?

Sao’s , mine ( I think) is unique, now.  

The 14 is laid up. One side welded, the other ( better) side awaiting treatment.

It wouldn’t take much, now. But I can’t currently find a use. So it’s sitting, dry & warm ,awaiting its time back in the sun. 

Careful with that 5.  With clean lines it’ll be a joy, but if rubbish finds its way into the carb/ pump; it will drive you mad.

5 hours ago, nigel bickle said:

Sao’s , mine ( I think) is unique, now.  

The 14 is laid up. One side welded, the other ( better) side awaiting treatment.

It wouldn’t take much, now. But I can’t currently find a use. So it’s sitting, dry & warm ,awaiting its time back in the sun. 

Careful with that 5.  With clean lines it’ll be a joy, but if rubbish finds its way into the carb/ pump; it will drive you mad.

I have just been out an bought a load of new hose so will fit it over the next couple of weeks, I have just had the Maxi carb fully cleaned and a fuel filter fitted as I had a problem with gunk in that so don't want to go through that again.

It would be great to see the 14 on the road one day.

Well done, filters a def too. You’d be surprised how crackly it will become. 

You ou May find cold starts difficult, because the old fuel has broken down. I carry an old fairy liquid bottle, filled with new petrol, and squirt that into the carb mouth.  Full throttle the pedal till it kicks then ease it into life. You may need to do this twice if the old fuels grim ,but once warm it should run ok.   

The 14? When I can find a use for it..