I have just put a deposit down on............

theorganist

Just now, barefoot said:

Did it start up?

I don't worry about insignificant factors like does it run at all! There was no battery on it and my spare battery at home is clapped out. It was driving when it went in to the garage so I have utmost confidence that with some fresh petrol, a new battery and some judicious prayers it will start! My Maxi did after 23 years so I think there will be few problems!

Just now, theorganist said:

I don't worry about insignificant factors like does it run at all! There was no battery on it and my spare battery at home is clapped out. It was driving when it went in to the garage so I have utmost confidence that with some fresh petrol, a new battery and some judicious prayers it will start! My Maxi did after 23 years so I think there will be few problems!

That's the spirit! Well purchased, captain.

I had one of these once, although it was a TC, not a posh one like yours.  A B-plater in that well-known early '80s Renault shade of rouge pogbelette,  4-speed 'box and 956cc of raw Cléon power.  I bought it for 30 quid off a bloke outside a car auction - he'd bought a car at the auction and couldn't drive both home.  Was a surprisingly charming little thing to drive, although not as interesting as the Mk1 5 obvs.

I've always fancied a GTX, but they're starting to make good money now.  Or a Baccara, but most of those seem to have been automatics, and I have not had good experiences with automatic Renaults.

8 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I had one of these once, although it was a TC, not a posh one like yours.  A B-plater in that well-known early '80s Renault shade of rouge pogbelette,  4-speed 'box and 956cc of raw Cléon power.  I bought it for 30 quid off a bloke outside a car auction - he'd bought a car at the auction and couldn't drive both home.  Was a surprisingly charming little thing to drive, although not as interesting as the Mk1 5 obvs.

I've always fancied a GTX, but they're starting to make good money now.  Or a Baccara, but most of those seem to have been automatics, and I have not had good experiences with automatic Renaults.

I  was watching a mark 1 auto on ebay just this week but it went from £360 to £830 in one hour so had to leave it. My first car was a mark 1 R5 and would so love another. The supercinq are nice to drive, I regret selling the TR I had a couple of years ago and have been looking for a cheap one ever since. 

I agree a GTX would be great or a Monaco, which I think were all automatics.

Absolutely love your optimistic approach to shite buying !!!

R5s are really nice to drive, in the traditional French way that offers both great handling and excellent comfort.

They love to rust, so check it carefully and, if no welding is needed, pump it full of waxoyl to preserve it.

Cleon engines are also prone to OMGHGF if they've been sitting for long, so keep an eye on the temperature sensor...

4 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Although these do at least have a temp gauge, not just the "it's fucked light" favoured by some French manufacturers at the time.

They didn't all. I didn't know that the radiator in my TR had a hole in it until I saw the steam coming out. 

10 minutes ago, Sigmund Fraud said:

Absolutely love your optimistic approach to shite buying !!!

R5s are really nice to drive, in the traditional French way that offers both great handling and excellent comfort.

They love to rust, so check it carefully and, if no welding is needed, pump it full of waxoyl to preserve it.

Cleon engines are also prone to OMGHGF if they've been sitting for long, so keep an eye on the temperature sensor...

I shall keep an eye on it thanks.