theorganist

I have just put a deposit down on............

Just now, barefoot said:

Did it start up?

I don't worry about insignificant factors like does it run at all! There was no battery on it and my spare battery at home is clapped out. It was driving when it went in to the garage so I have utmost confidence that with some fresh petrol, a new battery and some judicious prayers it will start! My Maxi did after 23 years so I think there will be few problems!

Just now, theorganist said:

I don't worry about insignificant factors like does it run at all! There was no battery on it and my spare battery at home is clapped out. It was driving when it went in to the garage so I have utmost confidence that with some fresh petrol, a new battery and some judicious prayers it will start! My Maxi did after 23 years so I think there will be few problems!

That's the spirit! Well purchased, captain.

3 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

That's the spirit! Well purchased, captain.

Thank you, I don't think it should be too much trouble. Looks solid underneath. Would like to do something with the seats as they are very comfortable GTL seats, I think there are places who can repair fabric.

I had one of these once, although it was a TC, not a posh one like yours.  A B-plater in that well-known early '80s Renault shade of rouge pogbelette,  4-speed 'box and 956cc of raw Cléon power.  I bought it for 30 quid off a bloke outside a car auction - he'd bought a car at the auction and couldn't drive both home.  Was a surprisingly charming little thing to drive, although not as interesting as the Mk1 5 obvs.

I've always fancied a GTX, but they're starting to make good money now.  Or a Baccara, but most of those seem to have been automatics, and I have not had good experiences with automatic Renaults.

Just now, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The only one I remember in any great numbers was the R5 Campus

The Campus came out in 87/88 and was the last remaining model up to 1996 so most of the newer 5's were badged Campus. 

8 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I had one of these once, although it was a TC, not a posh one like yours.  A B-plater in that well-known early '80s Renault shade of rouge pogbelette,  4-speed 'box and 956cc of raw Cléon power.  I bought it for 30 quid off a bloke outside a car auction - he'd bought a car at the auction and couldn't drive both home.  Was a surprisingly charming little thing to drive, although not as interesting as the Mk1 5 obvs.

I've always fancied a GTX, but they're starting to make good money now.  Or a Baccara, but most of those seem to have been automatics, and I have not had good experiences with automatic Renaults.

I  was watching a mark 1 auto on ebay just this week but it went from £360 to £830 in one hour so had to leave it. My first car was a mark 1 R5 and would so love another. The supercinq are nice to drive, I regret selling the TR I had a couple of years ago and have been looking for a cheap one ever since. 

I agree a GTX would be great or a Monaco, which I think were all automatics.

Absolutely love your optimistic approach to shite buying !!!

R5s are really nice to drive, in the traditional French way that offers both great handling and excellent comfort.

They love to rust, so check it carefully and, if no welding is needed, pump it full of waxoyl to preserve it.

Cleon engines are also prone to OMGHGF if they've been sitting for long, so keep an eye on the temperature sensor...

4 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Although these do at least have a temp gauge, not just the "it's fucked light" favoured by some French manufacturers at the time.

They didn't all. I didn't know that the radiator in my TR had a hole in it until I saw the steam coming out. 

10 minutes ago, Sigmund Fraud said:

Absolutely love your optimistic approach to shite buying !!!

R5s are really nice to drive, in the traditional French way that offers both great handling and excellent comfort.

They love to rust, so check it carefully and, if no welding is needed, pump it full of waxoyl to preserve it.

Cleon engines are also prone to OMGHGF if they've been sitting for long, so keep an eye on the temperature sensor...

I shall keep an eye on it thanks. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By PhilA
      Well, here we go again. I bit the bullet and bought me this.

It's still up at the lot right now, there will be a miniature Collection Thread embedded in this thread when I go fetch it. Hopefully if the weather's good, that'll be this weekend.

So, what is it?

As the title suggests, it's a 1951 Pontiac Chieftain.
      It's got a flat-head straight eight hiding in the engine bay, 4.4 litres of it. It's bolted to a 4-speed Hydra-Matic Drive gearbox. No torque converter on this one, just a fluid coupling. 116 horses at a screaming 3700 RPM, 240lb/ft at 2000. It idles at 375 RPM. Redline just shy of 4k.
      Did I mention it's quite big? Sixteen foot eight from end to end and it seats six people in comfort. Every door has a quarter-light, too. Comfort is provided by properly sized tyres and (quite surprisingly for the age of it) double independent wishbone front suspension. Steering is via worm/wheel steering box so is moderately direct and the brakes are hydraulic drums all round. Modern and scientific!

It's an honest example; looks to have had a "restoration" about 15-20 years back and the rust is coming through the seams and filler. The bottoms of the door skins have gone, the bottom of the A-pillars have gone (the front doors, on a single hinge a piece still open and close with one finger!) And it's got a couple holes and blebs in all the places you would expect.
      Not much electrical works. It needs to be completely rewired because someone has "converted" it to 12V. Thankfully it was originally negative ground so that's a good start. Gauges and such can be driven from a 6V bucking converter.
      Engine has had some work done on it- starts and runs nicely with very little greb coming out of the exhaust. It's got a few gaskets that need replacing and the tappets need some major adjustment, the gearbox engages gears correctly, the steering is okay but has a lot of slack in the center and the brakes work well, dont sink or feel spongy but need adjustment.

More to come. I'll post up more pictures when I get it home.

--Phil
    • By mat_the_cat
      Thought I should probably start a thread, given that a few people have suggested it. For my sins, my first car was a 1985 Hyundai Stellar. Bought back in 1997, when the sun still shone, I had more hair, and the world was generally a better place.

This may be the earliest photo I have, I think from 1998:

Anyway, I drove everywhere in it, and clocked up over 100k miles before I was given an Alfa Romeo 75. So I took the Stellar off the road for some much needed TLC. Made some progress on it - Rebuilt all the suspension, fitted a rebuilt Cortina* rear axle, Princess 4 pot front calipers and Capri vented discs etc - before a couple of house moves and renovations put it on the back burner.

* before anyone says they are identical underneath, there are some differences. I fitted a replacement axle fairly early on in my ownership, only to fit that not only was the propshaft flange the wrong size, the UJ was totally different so I couldn't even fit a new yoke. Finding a company on the day before New Year's Eve who could cut off the end, weld a new UJ on and balance it wasn't too easy, especially one that was accessible by push bike!

Anyway, late last year I found some renewed motivation, and have been working on it when time and money permit. Here is what it looked like in October:

OMG barn find?

Front suspension OK at first glance...

...but it has turned out the calipers had seized (so are away being rebuilt) and all the (brand new) ball joint boots had perished:

Quite a bit of welding is needed too, but I had a setback just before Christmas when we were burgled and my welder stolen

Crusty roof rail

I've cleared some of the crap away from it now (it's not stored at mine - I'd love to own somewhere that big!) so might be able to get more photos. Currently working on the rear brakes, and disappointed to find that the shotblasted rear axle is now starting to rust after two coats of POR15 and 7 years storage under cover...

• By JoeyEunos
      Greetings all.

After lurking here for a short while, frankly liking what I see and enjoying the various shite, the site has well and truly struck a chord with me. I'm a serial buyer of ropey sub £1k vehicles, don't have to but genuinely enjoy it.

I feel like I might (Just might) have found my 'spiritual' home here

I've been posting across the web on owner specific forums (Usually using either my JoeyEunos or RandomPrecion handles) for a while now, but from here-on-in I will pull my threads together and merge them here into one ghastly topic.

My current steeds...

Lupo 1.7 SDI

SAM_5560 by

and the work/story so far...http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?/topic/102863-joeyeunoss-sdi-beater/

Golf Mk4 SDI

SAM_5531 by

and the thread.... http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/597074-project-slow/

Early (1989) Mk1 Eunos (This one was recently sold)

SAM_4656 by

the thread...http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=213274

Other shite I've owned and moved on in the last year include this ropey Passat...

SAM_6011 by

and this legendary £300 Fiesta Finesse...

Festa by

Cars I'd like to own/actively looking for in the forthcoming weeks/months/years...

Rover 75 (Dizzler)
      Peugeot 405 (XUD)
      Mk1 Octavia (Estate/dizzler, pre pd or SDI)
      Honda CRV (Gen1)
      Volvo 240/850