I'm no longer on a train, now V8 wallet drain

anonymous user

Finally home, it does fit on the drive and I managed not to reverse it into my mate's Mini. (Reversing up the slope for the first time in an automatic was interesting)

The verdict so far, it's quite comfortable, bar the hard plastic on the door armrest and centre console which made my elbow hurt. The car reminded me of something and I finally worked out it is a Rover P5B.

It's fine on the motorway but feels very big on minor roads. It has a daft contraption fitted with electrically operated exhaust bypass valves. Apart from wanting to try to wake the dead, I'm not sure what you'd use it for. 

Still not quite sure why I bought it, it's probably wasted on me, but I'll hopefully have a bit of fun with it for a while. Look out for the for sale thread (in a few weeks/days) when it finally sinks in what I've done

Wasn't that a Cadillac engine, or do Chrysler V8s do this as well?

I know a lot of engines can do it. For example the engine in a W220 S500 can do it. But interestingly the S400 doesn't, so despite being smaller, can get worse economy.

9 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Wasn't that a Cadillac engine, or do Chrysler V8s do this as well?

I think the Northstar shut down cylinders when the engine was at risk of overheating, rather than for fuel economy purposes.  Previous to that there was the 8-6-4 engine which used to shut down cylinders under light loads, but that was nearly 40 years ago.  And it didn't work.

Yup, if it's late 2015 on it'll shut down 4 (displays ECO on the dash) and has VVC which really kicks in at 4500 RPM. There's a recall for the timing chain tensioner.

Yes, 70 is a happy 1800-1900 RPM and it'll return 30 MPG on a steady run and 20-25 if you drive like you got Miss Daisy in the back seat around town.

Enjoy!

This one is too early to have the shutting off thing on it. I need to recalibrate my head when driving it as it is going quicker than I think some of the time. I have got the spare key working with a new battery and ordered a new key shell as the buttons are manky on that one. I will need to get the radio/cd/sat-nav fixed or replaced as it's not working properly and will only pick up radio1,  which I am 30 years too old for.

I've been out wasting petrol, the nasty growl it makes is addictive. I need a bigger wallet to keep all the petrol receipts in.

8 hours ago, anonymous user said:
It has a daft contraption fitted with electrically operated exhaust bypass valves. Apart from wanting to try to wake the dead, I'm not sure what you'd use it for. 

Because it's American and people love doing this:

7 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

I've been out wasting petrol, the nasty growl it makes is addictive.

Is there a mode to keep them permanently shut? I.e. early morning starts to or not to piss off the neighbours?

20 hours ago, rantingYoof said:

A V8 sitting at 70mph and doing 2000rpm will achieve remarkable fuel figures. And if you're stuck in a 50mph roadwork zone they get even happier. Unstressed engine, barely ticking over and yet generating enough power and torque to keep the momentum up...you're never late with a V8 and you are rarely a ball of stress when you arrive, either. :-D

The first question I always get when they spot the 5.0 badge on the wing of the mustang is what does that do to the gallon then, followed by the fuck off look when I tell them it'll do 35mg at 65 on a motorway , it's  under 2000rpm at 65

I bet the chrysler is a comfier ride though

32 minutes ago, SiC said:

Because it's American and people love doing this:

Is there a mode to keep them permanently shut? I.e. early morning starts to or not to piss off the neighbours?

There is a growl with them shut (which they are most of the time) if you operate the switch to open them it sounds like a Nascar escapee

Gotta admit, the Chrysler 5.7 has a nice note to it. I miss my Challenger.

The 3.7 Pentastar V6 isn't bad when pushed hard but it ain't no 8.

BTW the point-and-squirt action never gets old.

--Phil

2 hours ago, anonymous user said:

I've been out wasting petrol, the nasty growl it makes is addictive. I need a bigger wallet to keep all the petrol receipts in.

You really don't.  Just do what I do and throw them away.  Life's too short to be worrying about MPG.

8 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

You really don't.  Just do what I do and throw them away.  Life's too short to be worrying about MPG.

I know a guy who's always had performance cars , 8 years ago he bought a 3.0D Jag XF because of the fuel economy , he's done about 4000 miles a year in it because retired.

Turbos went a couple of months ago cost him £4800

It'd been cheaper to run the 5.0 supercharged one over the same period 

11 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Its the cost per mile that matters. 

But really its the smiles per life that matters. 

On 5/23/2019 at 6:37 PM, anonymous user said:

It's a long way home, just got to first services on M74, over 7 hrs to get home, will probably stop for the night somewhere later. Hardly been over 50mph, 1500 rpm yet due to traffic. First fill up only £67.

20190523_182856.jpg

Looks to me that those rear windows are standard tint, are you going to get them done in Limo Tint for the stereotypical look

14 hours ago, anonymous user said:

There is a growl with them shut (which they are most of the time) if you operate the switch to open them it sounds like a Nascar escapee

A mate and i hired a corvette for a road trip across America that had a bypass fitted as standard. It opened up above 3500 rpm and sounded ridiculous, but as a lazy auto it was never revving up there unless you were being silly.

Turned out if you pulled a certain fuse out, the bypass stayed open all the time and would be unbelievably loud/hilarious on startup and burbling around. We most definitely didnt* pull the fuse as soon as we were out of the Hertz compound :D

Gratuitous yellow holiday snap.

38678DDB-964B-4EFE-9DD9-A6BD4F5AF467.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Ohdearme said:

A mate and i hired a corvette for a road trip across America that had a bypass fitted as standard. It opened up above 3500 rpm and sounded ridiculous, but as a lazy auto it was never revving up there unless you were being silly.

Turned out if you pulled a certain fuse out, the bypass stayed open all the time and would be unbelievably loud/hilarious on startup and burbling around. We most definitely didnt* pull the fuse as soon as we were out of the Hertz compound :D

Gratuitous yellow holiday snap.

38678DDB-964B-4EFE-9DD9-A6BD4F5AF467.jpeg

Quite common on many cars. I know, for example, on the Aston Martin V8 Vantage it's fuse 15 or fuse 22, depending on year. A lot of these valves are vacuum operated - hence why you get the startup song and dance when the engine starts. 

They default fully open as it's quicker to release vacuum and open up under spring, than the vacuum build up to close. 

My boss has the bypass on his new f type it hilarious when it’s bypassed spitting and popping . It starts in quiet mode which I imagine his neighbours are glad about.

He started it via the jag app on his phone yesterday to get the air con going 5 minutes before he left . I’d just spend all day starting and stopping it so I could hear it running from my desk

6 hours ago, Wack said:

I know a guy who's always had performance cars , 8 years ago he bought a 3.0D Jag XF because of the fuel economy , he's done about 4000 miles a year in it because retired.

Turbos went a couple of months ago cost him £4800

It'd been cheaper to run the 5.0 supercharged one over the same period 

Excellent. I can use this to convince my dad to trade in his 3.0d XF (which does fewer miles than that per year) and get an LS600h instead. 

I'm not even joking.

17 hours ago, Wack said:

The first question I always get when they spot the 5.0 badge on the wing of the mustang is what does that do to the gallon then, followed by the fuck off look when I tell them it'll do 35mg at 65 on a motorway , it's  under 2000rpm at 65

I bet the chrysler is a comfier ride though

I've had a lot of nice conversations with people about the Lexus, often when I turn up for a site visit, and similar to you, the first remark is 'Ooof, I bet that drinks petrol!' 

My response now tends to be 'Yeah, it can be thirsty but it's not as bad as you would expect.' If they push me I show them my tank average, which is nearly always 25-26mpg, and this is often a pretty perfect combined mix of urban/motorway/rural driving. 

They then tend to say their generic petrol saloon/hatchback doesn't do much more than that, and I feel SMUG LIKE A BASTARD.

But I wholly agree that MPGs are worth significantly less than the smile that a V8 burble/roar/growl puts on your face. The noise in the Lexus is very muted, but there are serious plans afoot to try and get Mason II sounding similar, if not rortier, to Mason I. I just need to find a photograph of Mason's underside so I can show this to an exhaust fabricator and go 'PLZ COPY'.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, PhilA said:

Yup, if it's late 2015 on it'll shut down 4 (displays ECO on the dash) and has VVC which really kicks in at 4500 RPM. There's a recall for the timing chain tensioner.

Yes, 70 is a happy 1800-1900 RPM and it'll return 30 MPG on a steady run and 20-25 if you drive like you got Miss Daisy in the back seat around town.

Enjoy!

I thought that was just the newer models too - but I've an 07 plate 5.7 and it's also got the 'fuel saver mode'

IMG_20190222_011220.thumb.jpg.5b4b90b9a528dba8c12fe2e333053b42.jpg

(it's super effective!)