spartacus

1951 Ferguson TED 20 tractor, minor fettling.

That is fantastic. I think there is one still parked up in a slightly wonky shed on my uncles farm, and it is most probably the same one my grandfather owned and used 'back in the day'. I might see if I can sweet talk someone to let me see it next week....

41 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

That is fantastic. I think there is one still parked up in a slightly wonky shed on my uncles farm, and it is most probably the same one my grandfather owned and used 'back in the day'. I might see if I can sweet talk someone to let me see it next week....

Sweet talk, or drive off into the sunset with it ? 

Wow DR, that sounds like a script for one of those farm safety films, pretty awful for everybody involved I would imagine.

I'm happy enough with a chainsaw, although Mrs Spart wants to cut logs while I'm out and has no experience, so I've got to try and persuade her it's the kind of thing you do with other people around.

I'll have a hunt around for the official manual, thanks for the heads up.

14 hours ago, spartacus said:

Wow DR, that sounds like a script for one of those farm safety films, pretty awful for everybody involved I would imagine.

I'm happy enough with a chainsaw, although Mrs Spart wants to cut logs while I'm out and has no experience, so I've got to try and persuade her it's the kind of thing you do with other people around.

I'll have a hunt around for the official manual, thanks for the heads up.

I bought a saw horse a few years ago. Chainsaw bolts to it and is covered except when cutting logs. It's bloody ace and feels many times safer than any other chainsaw method. 

https://www.toolstation.com/sip-chainsaw-log-horse/p68225

Cheers DW! I think I've seen one of these around the house, so she's bought one already, it looks like a good idea. There's a dead tree in the paddock though that's fallen over and needs cutting into manageable chunks before we can get it onto a saw horse. I suspect it'll be a weekend project!

So today I decided to tackle the starting issue we had when we got it back. The starter solenoid is actuated via an internal linkage from the gear lever, you push the lever roughly into where fifth would normally be and it actuates the starter, great, because it's impossible to start in gear!

The solenoid had power going to it, but not from it to the starter, figuring that out couldn't possibly be very complicated I took it apart. Here it is in position, I'd already started undoing it.

qwQRMWN.jpg

And here it is in bits, the contacts were pretty dirty, do I cleaned them up, threw it all back together and it worked, result!

Jbx9FBX.jpg