Sparts conglomerated tractor thread, now with added Massey Ferguson 50b loader!

spartacus

R6ZH7ZU.jpg

Oor lass, driving on the way home...

j8tl83w.jpg

And the view when I took over driving duties, taken with a dash cam, obvs.

It must be 20 years since I've driven a tractor and never on the road but it's pretty simple and at a max of 12mph not much can go wrong. It drives surprising well for a near 70 year old agricultural vehicle, my LDV Convoy has more slop in the steering than this.

It's scruffy but starts and goes OK, although when we got it back I couldn't get it to turn over on the starter solenoid, I had to put the jump lead straight to the starter motor, it fired right up then, so it can't be too tricky to fix! It's a spark ignition engine that starts on petrol, then once warm runs on TVO, or tractor vaporising oil, it's difficult to buy these days but relatively easily made using kerosene and petrol. Obviously using a duty-less fuel on the road gets HMRC all excited and wet, so I drove it back on petrol, there's no TVO in the tank so at some point I'll have to don my petro-chemical engineers hat and mix some up.

We got plenty of friendly waves on the way home and even other road users didn't seem to mind being held up by an old tractor!

It's fully legit too, I even put it on my trade policy!

@Matty, sorry, but no! I did consider giving each of my girls a ride on it, like you used to see back in the day but the footboard on one side has rusted completely away and isn't very sound on the other. One I've reinstated those then a trip to Retford Morrisons, about 7 miles, is on the cards.

Careful, it is (and always has been) illegal to carry passengerson the road unless an approved seat is fitted (not possible on old tractors as passenger seats were never approved). The difference is in the old days plod did not care, in todays society it is an easy nick with the bonus of "protecting the kids". It will also invalidate your insurance.

Lovely stuff, even more so that its being bought to actually be used :)

I do like me an old tractor, also loving the AEC number plate :)

theres not a local drive through you can roll into with it is there? :mrgreen:

(dont think iv heard of TVO before, will have to do some googling at some point, I have heard of tractors that started on petrol but ran on diesel)

given how London traffic is never more then 3Mph, I wonder how well one would do as a city car LOL!

Careful, it is (and always has been) illegal to carry passengerson the road unless an approved seat is fitted (not possible on old tractors as passenger seats were never approved). The difference is in the old days plod did not care, in todays society it is an easy nick with the bonus of "protecting the kids". It will also invalidate your insurance.
Used to stand on the 3 point linkage, felt safer.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Careful, it is (and always has been) illegal to carry passengers on the road unless an approved seat is fitted (not possible on old tractors as passenger seats were never approved). The difference is in the old days plod did not care, in todays society it is an easy nick with the bonus of "protecting the kids". It will also invalidate your insurance.

Yeah, tell that to these people...

Tractor.JPG

In that last picture they are in a "transport box" not riding on the tractor that opens up a whole heap of different legislation! I seem to remember it must have a min of 18" sides and the "contents" must be secure, so hand grab rails would probably do. In reality, if plod thinks it looks safe(ish) they will probably leave you alone rather than get embroiled in legislation they are not fully conversant with and is a bit of a grey area.

I've had my 1950 TE-A20 (straight petrol) for a few years now. I was out on it at the weekend terrifying the locals at 11mph.

With regard to the starting issue; just pop the starter solenoid off, give it a clean and check the spring. Don't drop the pin or the actuating lever into the gearbox when you take it off...

Enjoy!

Me on Tractor Pic.jpg