Stance hilarity

djoptix

13 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Bet you would all be having kittens over my friend's car... :D

FB_IMG_1558642966640.thumb.jpg.37af137b72c7f838c3c9eff551b9e327.jpgFB_IMG_1558642989596.thumb.jpg.cc1998243d71539f9e57b68782986cbd.jpg

At least the wheels are the correct angle... 

That rover is tasteful, no stretched tyres, no contact with the body, no ridiculous camber angles, and looks to have a sensible footprint on the road. The Merc above is nothing but a joke. A fking clown car..

14 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Lowering the De Dion axle at the rear does not alter camber and unconventional suspension geometry at the front has only minimal changes to camber throughout it's travel, thus making the car look cool rather than stupid.  The coolness will however have been at the expense of ride comfort.  

In the 1960s it was common to see Mercedes saloons, loaded with people and camping gear, doing over 80mph heading to the Med for summer hols and with the rear wheels almost as cambered as the much ridiculed 'stance' estate.  The difference was that older Mercs had a low pivot swing axle set-up at the rear and although this made them look very odd when loaded, there was still suspension without tyre to body contact - and tyres in those days were not as wide or as low profile as today's 'stanced' cars.   I have only seen two cars 'stanced.'  One was a BMW 5 series from the late 90s and, apart from the inconvenient lack of ground clearance and a huge turning circle, it had been done properly i.e. tyres did not contact the body.  The other was an Audi convertible which had grooves in the stretched tyre sidewalls where the rears had been rubbing.  Just as well that the owner only drove at 40mph.  Bobbing along on the bump stops does not look cool to me, but hey, I sometimes drive an old Reliant 3 wheeler which probably causes a similar reaction from the 21st century bods ?.  

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

FB_IMG_1558642966640.thumb.jpg.37af137b72c7f838c3c9eff551b9e327.jpgFB_IMG_1558642989596.thumb.jpg.cc1998243d71539f9e57b68782986cbd.jpg

Going to have to check but I think this is one of my dad's old cars, could be wrong but cool if it was. Anyhow this looks OK not to my taste but like others have said not a fooking clown car. 

These bloody lot have ruined the original term of 'stance' for me.

I once said a car had nice stance in the way it just sat nicely on a nice set of wheels and was lowered a tad. But matey got confused, as he thought I meant 'stance' in being a part of the wonky wheel club.

Not my cup of tea that scene, prefer my cars to have adequate tire contact with the road and ability to some what 'blast' around on B-roads comfortably.

That SD1 is a thing of menacing beauty - was it not on ebay not so long ago, I seem to remember drooling over it before.

The P6, hmm not so sure, the number plate needs to be else where and the wheels, if I saw them on their own I'd say kill them with fire but on the car they're not too bad, they kind of fit with the period custom look.

48 minutes ago, Tartan58 said:

That SD1 is a thing of menacing beauty - was it not on ebay not so long ago, I seem to remember drooling over it before.

The P6, hmm not so sure, the number plate needs to be else where and the wheels, if I saw them on their own I'd say kill them with fire but on the car they're not too bad, they kind of fit with the period custom look.

funnily enough that's why I don't like them, they don't look period to me, a nice set of slotmags or the like would be cool, those would suit a late 90s corsa with a Halfords account. But each to their own, looks good otherwise and I love the colour

On my way home this morning I saw a semi-reverse stanced Qashqai, obviously unintentional, it was on a trailer, the bodywork was undamaged but both wheels on the passenger side were sticking out at the top and in at the bottom. Not sure how you'd achieve that  the only thing I could think was slamming into a kerb sideways.

The P6 is ok but to me old school stance means the front should sit higher than the rear by a bawhair(officially recognised unit of measurement in Scotland)

I humbly submit my shonky old e28 for your consideration.

678b29b2.thumb.JPG.cebabf298e02b2d48ee7bdc791ccb4e0.JPG

Lower at the rear than the front so it looks like it's going fast when it's standing still. 

Stick an inch taller springs on the front of that P6 and it's a winner. Oh and it needs the spare wheel on the boot lid, because that's fucking cool on those.