Stance hilarity

djoptix

I don't want to teach people to suck eggs but the ginger in the first post is an old Snapchat screenshot that people have been manipulating for ages. 

I don't understand why people modify cars like that either, but it's their money to burn. 

Sad that they are internet aware enough to promote a social media 'brand' and scramble to create a gofundme but can't do adequate research beforehand.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

But according to some of the replies the only reason they were pulled is because Germany is still run by Hitler and they are trying to rerun ww2. Really? In 1939 they overran 60,000,000 people in six months, pulling a few twats driving shitty cars is hardly invading Poland is it?

No you're Bob on. It's 2019 and every fucker thinks they can do whatever they like with no consequences whatsoever. When they're pulled up on their indescretions they moan and whinge and expect everyone else to change to suit them. And at the risk of getting moderated for being political, as far as I'm aware Germany hasn't spent the last ten years constantly cutting police funding and numbers. That's why they have coppers on the ground to do a job. Our lot are neither lazy nor thick. It's just there's only 2 of them left.....

Some of those yokes would be illegal here. I can quote you scripture and verse... but in Europe the authorities are much harder on modified vehicles... end of. Traffic cops in the UK are a little more switched on than your average bobby, but there is generally a hell of a lot of grace given with modifications and modified stuff. It's absolutely horrifying the amount of bodged crap is out there.. added to that it's scary how much stuff isn't declared to insurance. I know a lot of cars are returned to near enough standard just for MOT. Stretch tyres is illegal, if it's clearly over the top (as in the bead of the tyre does not fully seat in the bead of the rim... there's ones that can put keys, debit cards, even phones down the side of the tyres! Tuv and type approval are enforced heavily in Europe. Anything that's too far from manufacturers tested and proven design is a defect. Just look as the camber on that Merc! Lethal!! 

Whatever the legal ins and outs, driving through a country like that with such strict regulation of their MOT equivalent is naive and foolish. I Drove a UK triumph spitfire through Germany a decade ago and my (German) passenger’s sphincter was twitching (probably my driving) but also because we had minilite replica alloys on it which may have been considered verboten. Obviously the modification was more low key but also we were not back slapping and congratulating ourselves and posing for photos. 

Can't seem to find the original post but it's not just scene kidz this affects. A team in last year's Mongol Rally managed to get all the way to Siberia... and back! before the Salzburg Polizei stopped them for driving a car with no windscreen and held together with sticky tape etc. They launched a media campaign and some noble Frenchman came to trailer them home. Far cooler car though:

42168939_2243419159237127_56152622759726

40748374_2115774212017316_81863942266704

This link might work to FB 

It must be stressful in the extreme to be pulled up like that etc but the issue seems to be if you are drawing attention to yourself, you are drawing attention from the public and the authorities- stealth is the way to go if you want to avoid attention.

6 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Just in case anyone here fancies helping this lot get their unroadworthy deathtraps back to Blighty...

https://www.gofundme.com/worthersee-trip-wrecked

Is there some way of siphoning the money out of that and donating it to a proper worthy cause?

9 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Apropos of nothing, has anyone here ever driver a car that's been lowered to this extreme? 

Was it as bad as I'm imagining it to be?

Yes. 

Yes. 

And mine wasn't even that low / stanced.

Planning journeys to avoid bad roads, speed humps etc. Having everyone stare as you scrape and/or get stuck in multi-storey car parks. Having family members and passersby asking 'Why?' That wince when you don't see a pot hole and you worry if the impact has separated the top mount of your suspension from the rest of the strut. 

But yeah, you look cool*, and everyone loves* you.

download.jpeg.205ea987ce3584fc77b7f6245c24ea4a.jpeg

FB_IMG_1558210419355.thumb.jpg.074a07d5d0afa6cd22679ccc9ee23aa4.jpg

I see on their crowdfunder page they'd budgeted for 'a few fines', so obviously knew they were on the wrong side of the law but decided they could just buy their way out of it. Maybe that would have worked in Kazakhstan or summert but somehow it seems a bit naive to think a German copper is going to go all glassy-eyed when you pull out your wad of Euros. Unlucky guys! Now the whole internet is laughing at you while doing the 'Gareth Hunt' Nescafé move. Twats!

As other have said, I’m sure a few of us have driven such ridiculous cars (though again, probably not in Germany).  I had a lowered bug back in the day that was bloody awful to drive, but sooo cool (in my head anyway).

It is good to see kids taking interest in cars though. So many just see them like a washing machine except they have it on tick. Once it’s a few years old, they hand it back and get another. 

These kids are being a bit melodramatic, but then I guess that’s the Internet/media lifestyle. At least they are off their asses and not playing bloody Fortnight. 

4 minutes ago, Roobarb said:

As other have said, I’m sure a few of us have driven such ridiculous cars (though again, probably not in Germany).  I had a lowered bug back in the day that was bloody awful to drive, but sooo cool (in my head anyway).

It is good to see kids taking interest in cars though. So many just see them like a washing machine except they have it on tick. Once it’s a few years old, they hand it back and get another. 

These kids are being a bit melodramatic, but then I guess that’s the Internet/media lifestyle. At least they are off their asses and not playing bloody Fortnight. 

Yup. Can't argue with that. I've had two old golfs now on cheap coilovers and while they go round corners better, everything else gets worse. And I'm 38. Time to grow up I reckon!

6 hours ago, Faker said:

Some of those yokes would be illegal here. I can quote you scripture and verse... but in Europe the authorities are much harder on modified vehicles... end of. Traffic cops in the UK are a little more switched on than your average bobby, but there is generally a hell of a lot of grace given with modifications and modified stuff. It's absolutely horrifying the amount of bodged crap is out there.. added to that it's scary how much stuff isn't declared to insurance. I know a lot of cars are returned to near enough standard just for MOT. Stretch tyres is illegal, if it's clearly over the top (as in the bead of the tyre does not fully seat in the bead of the rim... there's ones that can put keys, debit cards, even phones down the side of the tyres! Tuv and type approval are enforced heavily in Europe. Anything that's too far from manufacturers tested and proven design is a defect. Just look as the camber on that Merc! Lethal!! 

As someone who worked in the trade working quite heavily on modified cars and suspension who decides what is "clearly over the top"? 

A lowered MX5 with a degree and a half of neg camber front and rear is very heavily different to what Mazda would specify but is undoubtedly much improved for hard driving - I happen to like them and dislike stance queens but legally they both are highly dubious. 

Regardless of what the cars look/handle like.... it's absolutely well known that the German police take a dim view of mods like that. Everyone I know who is heading to Worthesee  has been joking about winding their coilovers up for the trip etc, it's common knowledge that cars get impounded every year for not complying with the regulations of the countries they're driving through. 

1 hour ago, Snipes said:

As someone who worked in the trade working quite heavily on modified cars and suspension who decides what is "clearly over the top"? 

A lowered MX5 with a degree and a half of neg camber front and rear is very heavily different to what Mazda would specify but is undoubtedly much improved for hard driving - I happen to like them and dislike stance queens but legally they both are highly dubious. 

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, and as such governed by the exact same legislation, all be it sometimes it's worded slightly differently. 

I posted the attached legislation segments on a retro rides page rant about modified cars and iva - sva. 

It's there in black and white. Breach of type approval, and or construction and use legislation, by an owner or mechanic fitting substandard or dangerous components, could end up being prosecuted. 

As I've already mentioned. Ordinary Bobby isn't that well versed on finer details. But there are more and more directives being implemented to tackle dangerously modified cars.

20160414_231457-1-1_zpsjoysaif2.jpg

20160414_233231-1_zpsd7eatkjf.jpg

20160414_231751-1_zpsjf4f5bpv.jpg

2 hours ago, Amishtat said:

Just shown this thread to a mate who does recovery. When he eventually finished laughing he offered to go and pick them up. Three large each at a rough estimate 

With something as low as that Merc, is it even possible to get it on a trailer without resorting to a HIAB?

1 hour ago, Faker said:

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, and as such governed by the exact same legislation, all be it sometimes it's worded slightly differently. 

Well how can it be the exactly the same if it's sometimes worded slightly differently?

In this the case the effect may well be the same, but this is governed by two separate pieces of legislation. One covering NI and the other England, Wales & Scotland.

8 hours ago, Faker said:

I posted the attached legislation segments on a retro rides page rant about modified cars and iva - sva. 

It's there in black and white. Breach of type approval, and or construction and use legislation, by an owner or mechanic fitting substandard or dangerous components, could end up being prosecuted. 

As I've already mentioned. Ordinary Bobby isn't that well versed on finer details. But there are more and more directives being implemented to tackle dangerously modified cars.

20160414_231457-1-1_zpsjoysaif2.jpg

20160414_233231-1_zpsd7eatkjf.jpg

20160414_231751-1_zpsjf4f5bpv.jpg

The wording is black and white but applying the law is a different matter. 

20190519_102336.jpg.376abed739c815d8a322fbde7b7ee314.jpg

7 hours ago, Eddie Honda said:

Well how can it be the exactly the same if it's sometimes worded slightly differently?

In this the case the effect may well be the same, but this is governed by two separate pieces of legislation. One covering NI and the other England, Wales & Scotland.

I'm not trying to be a keyboard warrior or an arse.. But you did read the info posted? Where it clearly makes reference to breaches of corresponding Great Britain legislation...

20190519_102336.jpg

47 minutes ago, Snipes said:

The wording is black and white but applying the law is a different matter. 

Well it can be enforced... generally when something terrible happens like the aftermath of a serious collision. Experts (forensic etc) can determine if a substandard component failed, or major modifications hindered or compromised a vehicles handling capabilities. 

Germany have just proved it! They have a zero tolerance 

7 hours ago, Eddie Honda said:

If I can pop my Work Hat on for a sec, what tends to happen is that Primary Legislation is enacted in the Westminster Parliament - the law itself - and then the Department for Transport (in GB) and the Department for Infrastructure (in NI) each transpose their own Secondary Legislation (SL1s)  - stating how the law will be applied and will work with (or supersede) other SL1s.

One piece of legislation, two slightly different laws in wording - but not (usually) in practical application.

Either way, the Stancy Bois are banjaxed.

Years ago I knew someone who drove an aged Datsun 180 too quickly over a speed bump. Both front struts burst through their badly rusted mounting turrets and into the bonnet causing an instant stance. He had the thing towed away and scrapped; nowadays it would be seen as 'bangin' M8'.

It had passed it's MOT a fortnight earlier.

How the fuck did they get that on a ferry or through the tunnel?

I said this years ago on BarryBoys - until one of these idiots takes out a bus queue of nuns, orphans and kittens no one will do anything. It is easily proven to be illegal as won't comply with the manufacturers recommended wheel and tyre combinations, so, unless Barry could turn up in court with a recognisable expert saying it is safe, he would lose a prosecution based solely on the wheels and tyres. But we don't have the police numbers to bother with such trivia.

What I suspect happened with the German cops is that they subject the car to TUV type tests to establish if it is roadworthy.