Stance hilarity

djoptix

2 hours ago, SiC said:

One thing that has been bothering me...

These are UK registered cars, why should they have to pass testing at TUV? As long as they pass a UK MOT then that should suffice. If the German police reckon it would fail a UK MOT, then surely it should be tested to the UK MOT book?

If not, then surely even just changing an exhaust on a UK car would be illegal. Including if for example you put a UK exhaust that the manufacturers haven't gone to the hassle of TUV approval - like many are. 

The reason I say this is because the German TUV and regs are stricter than UK MOT. E.g. all modded parts have to be TUV approved for that car - including engine remaps, etc. So changing to most aftermarket rims wouldn't pass. Does it mean you can't drive a UK IVA'd car into Europe?

Just because your car has an MOT doesn't mean it's legal. If a problem emerges after the test then a driver can still have his vehicle impounded for being unsafe - headlights not working is a fairly easy example to enforce because it's readily observable. At the end of the day, these vehicles most likely had 'dodgy MOTs' - I once accidentally did one with a motorbike taking it to a 'garage' that a friend recommended. He wheeled it into a side room, read the paper for twenty minutes then gave me a certificate. 

More realistically though I think these are actually the German fashion police as at the end of the day the modification all look very very stupid.

2 hours ago, cort16 said:

I'd be surprised if that wouldn't get you pulled in the UK especially the merc with the wheel arch in between the tyre and the rim!

In my opinion I'd be more surprised if they did. You don't catch that with an ANPR or Speed Camera so unless you wiped out a line of nuns waiting at a bus stop I can't see them ever having an issue. People just don't as a rule get pulled now as there are no officers about to do so.

What's caught them out is they've gone to a real country with citizens who acknowledge the rule of law and accept with the consequences if they break them. As well as having real live police officers who may actually do their job every now and then. They are no different to 'lads' going abroad on a piss up and finding out that not every country just accepts their town centers being a piss and sick strewn warzone on a weekend.

Good on the German police is what I say, in one hit they've done more to take dangerous cars of uk roads than our plod will do all year.

Apropos of nothing, has anyone here ever driver a car that's been lowered to this extreme?

merc1.jpg

Was it as bad as I'm imagining it to be?

Can't say I've any sympathy with them - modify or don't modify, that's up to you. But complaining about getting busted because your mods make the car unroadworthy is a bit pointless. The drama might yet continue, too, as they are proposing getting the cars moved to Austria as one solution, but some of the comments by locals say they're just as likely to get lifted by the Austrian police...

1 minute ago, Split_Pin said:

I'm sure some or many of us all had unsuitable cars at one point or another, back in the day.

True that. My first car was a Renault 5L, fashioned largely from wob and bits of old shirt material dipped in fibreglass resin. I didn't try driving it round Europe, though!

Yeah I’ve been in a Polo that had been lowered to the max. Because there was no suspension travel it just made for something that was positively dangerous on the road. Any sort of undulation knocked it about. It was useless. 

Im sure there’s a lot of people who modify cars that know what they are doing but the vast majority of them haven’t a fucking clue. They are the sort that when GT3 for the PlayStation 2 was out they’d buy every mod and turn everything up to the max. In their minds lowering the car to the maximum means it’ll handle like shit to a bed sheet. Same for an exhaust. One like a waste paper basket MUST provide more horses because it’s loud. It’s always done on something really feeble as well. That Polo I went in was the 45 or something bhp 1.0. 

Its a phase you go through when you are a yoof, until suddenly you realise you can’t polish a turd. No matter what you spend on a 1.8 Vectra it’ll not make any difference apart from possibly making it a bit worse. 

I reckon you could get all those cars through a UK MOT, swap the wheels over and set the airbags so they don't foul the body, maybe unbolt whatever adaptors etc they use to make the camber like a shit cartoon, et voila.

As many have pointed out those cars are illegal in the UK as they stand, but yes there is a near zero chance of getting pulled here, hence the shock of going somewhere with policing done by humans not cameras.

Shane the drivers are too daft/ignorant about the laws in either their home country or the one they've gone to, and will probably just bleat about H8RS or something.

If I was Kent police I would meet them off the ferry/tunnel and do the same again if they ever make it home, just to reinforce that actually that daft shit is illegal here too .

Good to see a broad span of opinion in here, although I’m surprised any shiter would stand next to that Mercedes and say “dunno what your problem is m7”. 

Done tastefully, with a modicum of common sense, I think a bit of tinkering with the ride of a car is fine. But anyone who tells me they’ve made something like a 190 better by decking it will get a slap around the back of the head followed by a swift history lesson in R&D. 

And something 2mm from the ground, crabbing along the dual carriageway with the wheels like that? I’d personally include a 2 year ban along with the impounded car. 

2 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

Just in case anyone here fancies helping this lot get their unroadworthy deathtraps back to Blighty...

https://www.gofundme.com/worthersee-trip-wrecked

Which is why a reciprocal arrangement with bans should be enforced. The ignorant may well bail you out financially, but they can’t take a ban on your behalf. 

It’s a shame, for a multitude of reasons, that it’ll never happen. 

Last year I coming back to Rotterdam when a cheap Ebay suspension air bag let go , I bodged it so it lifted on the good one and continued carefully. If the Dutch Plod had pulled me in and said" park that here" I would've been a bit pissed off but understood.  When I got off the ferry at Hull a traffic plod was waiting before I got to passport control, after a discussion about how, what, where etc she  surprisingly let me go the 115 miles home after telling to watch the speed humps. Mine was down on one wheel, the other three normal with no fouling issues, the air bag is the only suspension on the rear, not assistors.

2073492198_sonydump102.thumb.JPG.b9b036f9da20eeff9c6620cf356b5a36.JPG

Although That crying dingleberry needs to man the fuck up and get his credit card out. If you can  afford new tyres every few months and expensive wheels you can afford the fine. 

Stop with the Instagram, snap chat , whateverbook look at me bollox.

I'd bet my arse that some of the fines increased and punishments got worse due to self entitledness and phone waving camera bellends. 

16 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Christ they’re having a go fund me page... why’s everything require a fucking whip round these days?

Whatever happend to sorting your your own shot out instead of asking for a contribution to bale you out of the shit? 

Have to agree with this. Charity for charitable cases etc etc. Not like any of them are going to die from not being able to drive home. 

It ought to be called ‘Just taking the fucking piss’

He ought to be glad he didn’t make a detour to the Nurburgring. Fuck up there and you might as well hand your house over. The charges for damaging Armco aren’t cheap that’s before you get into the realms of having a ‘bit of a misjudgment’ and causing the death of a German Stockbroker whose family takes your arse to the cleaners for damages. 

By the way my Gas bill dropped on the mat this morning, help me out will you? ?

But according to some of the replies the only reason they were pulled is because Germany is still run by Hitler and they are trying to rerun ww2. Really? In 1939 they overran 60,000,000 people in six months, pulling a few twats driving shitty cars is hardly invading Poland is it?