Audi A2 diesel is it worth getting one.

Vince70

My other half has got her heart set on a dented 1.4 diesel  A2 which is for sale locally and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

I’m not really up with modern motors especially diesels and just wondered if someone could give me a couple of pointers on what to look for.

lol, I bought one cheap with mega-miles on it, ran it for six months, roffled it to tayne who then roffled it to dome, who then loaned it to 320touring, who has his mrs running around in it, may or may not have hgf but is still going strong :)

My recommendation is to get an insurance quote first (seriously).

I know a lot of folk have no issue, but for some reason it's one of those quirk things that they are borderline uninsurable for me.

I can insure 250-300bhp cars for less than a third of a diesel Audi A2. I'm assuming it's something to do with the aluminium construction repair costs terrifying insurers. (like that'd be an issue, they'd probably try to write it off if a bird shat on it long before they got near repairing it)

I could insure a Discovery 3, Hilux Surf and an Astra VXR on a multicar policy together and still have money to spare over what 1 Audi A2 would cost me.

7 hours ago, 320touring said:

I dun wrote a big diatribe in my thread re my impressions of ownership.

Long story short:

A quirky lil car, and very competent/reasonably well laid out.

Engine (1.4TDI) is shit. Not that frugal and sounds like a dumper truck

Yep, nail on head. Lots of thought went into the design then they put a lawn mower engine in it. 

On the other hand, think of it as a quirky Polo/Fabia that won't rust. With a 4 cylinder TDi (hint, hint, Neil) it'd be a giggle.

She’s decided to stick with the Daihatsui as the car looked a bit of wreck and didn’t have a single  panel that wasn’t damaged and the drivers door was pretty badly banged in and the shut lines were all over the place so it’s either accident damage or had the door hinge failure plus all 4 wheels looked like someone had been at them with a Hammer and bolster rather than just curbed so god knows what condition the suspension and steering was like.

We didn’t want to waste the sellers and our time Looking at it so she he  asked him for some better pictures of the car before viewing plus it only had a couple of months MOT and it was up for £850

To be honest for one in that condition I wouldn’t of given £600 for it and before we even viewed it he was saying it’s worth a couple of grand and was thinking of putting the asking price up so good luck with that.

I think the only redeeming feature for it was it had only done around 90000 miles but it had the crappy Diesel engine and looking at how it had been neglected I doubt it had much done in the way of servicing.