Russian Chod - adventures in Latvia

motorpunk

Great photos.  I went in 1989, to a car rally which was the first international event they'd had since the country opened up.  We only saw a handful of foreign made cars: an Opel, a Ford Granada and (weirdly) two HC Viva and two FE Victors.  All the other cars were Russian, apart from the ones at the rally which took place at the race track in Riga.  

28 minutes ago, Wack said:

Great pictures , be careful photographing anything that looks military though

Thanks. I like a challenge . :)

The VAZ2106 I'm driving  is a Lada 1600 of c.1986 vintage, feels very Fiat, it's actually really nice although the engine coughs a bit if you ask for any oomph. The Volga is a 24 'Barzha' (Barge), looks fantastic, sounds great, huge inside and out but is an absolute pig of a thing to drive.  More when I get time. 

I drank gallons of Vodka and quite a few beers the other night which should have killed me, I normally get massive headaches after booze, but those ryebread things with pickled herring on are awesome, I feel great, although following the Volga too close in traffic gives you carbon monoxide poisoning pretty quick. 

The plan was to fly over, buy something Russki and drive it home, but we'll doing a recce for future fun instead.  I'll do a mag feature on this when I get time. :)