The Current Driveway...

TrabbieRonnie

Thanks vaughant!  Does seem that way tbh…  couldn't resist.  The seller had had a bit of time selling it, and just wanted it gone without any more hassle.  They're not exactly the car I thought they were, I wasn't expecting such a sporty drive.  The engine is sublime, free revving like the 2.6 in the old coupe (but with a wee bit more grunt!).  

Very weird looking under a car of this age in Scotland and not seeing any orange crusty bits!

Quick exterior wash and scrub of the interior, nice sunny day but basically arctic wind conditions so waxing will have to wait.  There are wee bits of corrosion around it, the boot lid handle and rear window corner panels, but nothing serious I can see as yet.  Took it to work and back this morning, was a very agreeable waft.  The stereo is out of this world, and bumbling along at 60 has resulted in an indicated average of 30 mpgees and slowly rising.  Overtook a lorry without even thinking about it, the power is noice.

WP_20200223_14_59_52_Pro.thumb.jpg.52d5c6a11bcaabf6205f94da85e8eb1f.jpg

Bonus Trabant action here...

WP_20200223_15_00_17_Pro.thumb.jpg.59a93b78a2828c63e3c4a5dab9543701.jpg

WP_20200223_15_00_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.cc44a56a279f5392736fa08199806b13.jpg

WP_20200223_15_01_09_Pro.thumb.jpg.3735acac470db47712b3e1215bed52a7.jpg

The 'power sausages', so christened by my two young petrolheads:

WP_20200223_15_01_50_Pro.thumb.jpg.7c5a172c520bf192cdd230b20edafc7e.jpg

The headlamps need sorting, pretty clouded...  I did try my polishing kit on them today, but it was bloody baltic and I couldn't stand it any more.  Job for the summer...  All in all, so far so good.  Can't quite shake the feeling of impending doom, but at this money I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts!

WP_20200223_15_03_56_Pro.thumb.jpg.bcf140f0b2a7d2e4e5b74a485eb1a87c.jpg

Hi all,

Thought an update on the BIG LIABILITY AUDI was due, after my first week wafting to and from work...

BAD:  Boot leaks...  somehow, water is getting to the boot lid.  What I mean is that it is filling the cavity between the outer and inner skin of the lid itself (weird), and then soaking the liner/dripping into the boot itself when you open it.  I worked this out when I noticed the tail-light filling with water after the snow, and the brake light on that side flickering on and off.  Drilled a wee hole into the side of the light fitting to let the water out, light came back to life and the boot is gradually drying.  The dampness in there led to the next problem...

BAD TWO:  Radio stopped working.  More accurately, the multi-media interface (MMI) died.  This screen pops out the dash, allowing you to control all the radio/cd functions, as well as the suspension ride height, and probably a hundred other parameters... this dying was not a good feeling!  However, after drying out the boot everything came back to life... turns out all the multi-media stuff (speakers, cd changer head unit and subwoofer etc.), are all connected in a big loop by fibre-optic witch-craft!  The sat-nav pack is part of this circuit, and it lives... you guessed it... in the boot.  Anyway, all good since, thank fook.

BAD/GOOD?:  Had a prod under the bonnet this morning, just wanted to see what sort of state she was in service-wise, and get to know the V8 a bit better.  The air filter was the filthiest I've ever seen in a car, really black.  Will order new as part of the service pack, the oil isn't looking too clean either.  Anyway, in poking about this area, I discovered a wee pipe that should have been connected to the bottom of the air filter housing, taking filtered air somewhere else.  The engine air is taken in directly above this, out the other end of the cylindrical filter if you will.  Because this pipe was disconnected, the engine was basically able to draw in unfiltered air, and the same for whatever this pipe was supposed to be feeding. 

Turns out, these have a secondary air pump fitted, blowing air into the exhaust ahead of the cats, to warm them up quicker by burning up the excess fuel generated when running rich on a cold start.  This is now all connected up, and I hoovered out the filter to keep her going till I get a new one.  Putting it all back together, I then noticed that the main intake pipe was not pushed on to the throttle body properly, the jubilee clip that should hold it on, was actually done up around the casting, preventing the pipe pushing all the way on.  It was sitting at an angle, and probably letting in a bit more unfiltered air!  Rectified now obvs, and I gave the maf a squirt of electrical cleaner for good measure.  

The car has been running really well, it shows 32mpgees, which I have been pleased with, and had a lot of power.  However, I didn't know what I was missing!  Took her for a spin after the above fettling and the bloody thing is flying, much quicker accelerating, smoother, just generally more alive.  Really chuffed with the improvement for nothing but a bit of tlc.

BAD THREE...  Suspension started squeaking one really cold morning, front left.  Immediately, had visions of incredibly expensive airbag units required...  Didn't have any problems with the level of the car though, so thought I'd just 'let it develop'.  Squirted some super-lube onto all the front joints/rubbers this morning, and silence is restored, so just a dry joint somewhere... again, phew!

GOOD...  Basically in love with this thing, seriously nice place to be for my 25 mile A-road commute.  The stereo is the best I have ever heard in a car, you can hear bits in songs you never knew where there, and the different sounds come at you from every corner... noice.  As I said, I thought it was good to drive before, it's amazing now... fuel economy may suffer as a result as the temptation is now even harder to resist.  We went for a full-throttle blast down a local private road (honest), this morning and the ton comes up so fast it's scary, and the engine was still pulling like a train.  I ran out of road and courage before the thing was even in top gear.  You could genuinely take your hands off the wheel though, it's rock solid at speed.

Basically, so far so good.  £1500!!!

• TrabbieRonnie changed the title to The Current Driveway... BIG LIABILITY AUDI Update.

Looks fantastic! An A8 is on my bucket list.

My 80 Cabrio boot lid does exactly the same water retention thing although it doesn't leak when its closed as the boot is dry. When you open it, the water gushes out between the trim and frame and because it opens to about 100 degrees, its at the right angle to direct all that water into the boot, very annoying!

I can only assume the water is getting in around the lights, or boot handle trim...  think I'll seal these up with a fine bead of clear silicone next time I wash it, although to be fair it is gradually drying out now anyway.  I've also considered  drilling drain holes in the bottom edge of the bootlid (in the return edge but on the outside of the seal when closed), like my old Surf has. 

Hope your 80 is going well, the arrival of the A8 means even more so that I should really be selling my 2.6 coupe.  Great cars, and the 8 very much reminds me of it.  The engine sounds the same and it feels similar on the road.

I was following this on eBay as I seriously considered buying it but to my shame I couldn’t be bothered to go to Inverness to get it. Total bargain for 1500 quid though I think you’ve done well. Lovely cars to drive too.

I thought it looked to be riding a bit high in the pictures on eBay but thought it was maybe the tyre profile ?

I get paranoid about suspension squeaks after a lot of squeaking was followed by the suspension arm snapping on my Passat .

1 hour ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

I can only assume the water is getting in around the lights, or boot handle trim...  think I'll seal these up with a fine bead of clear silicone next time I wash it, although to be fair it is gradually drying out now anyway.  I've also considered  drilling drain holes in the bottom edge of the bootlid (in the return edge but on the outside of the seal when closed), like my old Surf has. 

Hope your 80 is going well, the arrival of the A8 means even more so that I should really be selling my 2.6 coupe.  Great cars, and the 8 very much reminds me of it.  The engine sounds the same and it feels similar on the road.

Thats a good idea about the bootlid, I think I'll try that. I need to seal up the other leaks around the doors first though. Otherwise going well!

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

I thought it looked to be riding a bit high in the pictures on eBay but thought it was maybe the tyre profile ?

I get paranoid about suspension squeaks after a lot of squeaking was followed by the suspension arm snapping on my Passat .

I thought the same, he had it set to 'comfort' which is the highest setting... as you can imagine I was listening intently in every wheelarch as I selected the various ride heights, and all seemed well as it pumped up and down, so went for it.  Think it originally had 19" wheels on it (there's receipts for tyres from years ago), they're 18's now which don't fill the arches as well either I suppose.

I just get paranoid about everything since buying an A8...!

Mazda 323 got a run out in the sun today, following yet another washing/polishing sesh...

WP_20200307_14_15_33_Pro.thumb.jpg.e9774ee97cf765cb218dbbfc4b631d77.jpg

Really should post in the 'buying from other 'shiters thread, this is ex Uncle Fester, who was an absolute top geezer to buy from.

WP_20200307_14_16_44_Pro.thumb.jpg.a3db1d1ed8a25a60be39c1e1267deeeb.jpg

Then it was my old(ish) Audi's turn, after another 250 miles of Scottish road salt...  

WP_20200307_14_31_57_Pro.thumb.jpg.333fd533e8b7c30d14cc5c3ffbcdbb02.jpg

WP_20200307_14_32_22_Pro.thumb.jpg.a6a2fefc1e6ef0cf4f99320ee3b200fc.jpg 

WP_20200307_14_32_38_Pro.thumb.jpg.731b74f75e63b99ccee88caf4852a2bd.jpg

Got some polish on it today, actually quite pleasant up in the highlands just now.  Stripped out the bootlid liner, found water seeping through some old sealant that had been applied by a previous owner, it had gone brittle and fallen off.  Replaced that, and drilled drain holes in the bottom edge, so that should* be that sorted.  Waiting for payday to get the service stuff together, will feel better about blasting up the bypass following an oil change.

Trabant is looking neglected, so will turn my attentions to that soon, might make for some more interesting postings anyway!

• 2 months later...
  • TrabbieRonnie changed the title to The Current Driveway...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

Headlamps de-clouded...

Before...

1001325236_WP_20200711_11_19_51_Pro1.thumb.jpg.c3d0e97f44287c8b5529ceab21ee7d4c.jpg

1619390952_WP_20200711_11_20_00_Pro1.thumb.jpg.be75b21e6e26b14fa043824bc28d91c5.jpg

And after... not perfect but much improved (I now have a very messy engine bay, mind!)

1279807546_WP_20200711_11_19_42_Pro1.thumb.jpg.119512e658e8f9c9803603053412eca5.jpg

1979566453_WP_20200711_11_20_10_Pro1.thumb.jpg.b16b6114a14397b18c8108961b34b8f3.jpg

Old thing's going great... have changed the oil again, as didn't much like the 5w 30 I'd put in (as per the manual).  It was using a wee bit, requiring a top-up every couple of weeks... I have never liked 5w30 in older engines, don't know why I bothered with it.  1000 miles on Mobil 10w 40 and the level hasn't moved.  Thankfully, I'd bought one of those vacuum pumps, so oil changes are a twenty-minute affair these days.

Right-rear tyre goes soft over a few weeks, keep meaning to change the valve and see if it sorts it.

EML light on dash (discovered after removing some very crafty black marker pen from the instrument cluster... the reason it was £1500 quid maybe?).  I've owned this car quite a while now, and had never noticed it until I cleaned the dials, an expletive or two escaped me I'm afraid!  Anyway, bought VCDS to see what's what... it says the O2 sensors are connected the wrong way round?!!  There's obviously a story there, and how the hell does it know anyway?  After a reset, it stays off for around week before re-appearing, so I'm not currently very bothered.

The car returns 30.something empeegees week in, week out, providing it is fed with the expensive high octane stuff.  On Jet's finest 95 ron, it can vary between 25-28.  Don't know if that means I'm better off on the dear stuff overall, and it does mean a detour of about ten miles to get it, but I've stuck to it for a while now.  The commute is 250 miles a week, 300 if it's my weekend on call, and this has been the best car I've ever had to do it in... fun if you want, waft if you don't.  Definite keeper (as long as Rishi can keep the job going anyway!).

Hope all's well with yous, cheers for now.

• TrabbieRonnie changed the title to The Current Driveway... Boring A8 Update... Upd8?

I do love an A8. My mate has a 2005 A8L with a 4.2 Diesel turbo V8. It’s had a stage 2 remap and DPF delete and by heck does it shift. 800 ft-lb of torque is enough to move mountains. And it’s only a 4 seater (previous owner was the council and it was the Lord Mayors first choice of steed). 

very good sir. Carry on. 

Thanks Speedy, and yes, I recommend!

Quick check on things at work this morning meant a very enjoyable blast, and the thing does look good about the place...

416896195_WP_20200712_08_22_16_Pro1.thumb.jpg.3b03ea8616a02eb357945c45aca79e7a.jpg

157743277_WP_20200712_08_21_48_Pro1.thumb.jpg.4e3572dad248b4097a59061c8e5218a2.jpg

1262822941_WP_20200712_08_19_16_Pro1.thumb.jpg.8e68ef2414e3db04aaf9e4abe55fa37f.jpg

About this time last year, after a similiar blast...

WP_20190328_08_45_00_Pro.thumb.jpg.799ed3d4c073f9af048b07a706013b37.jpg

WP_20190328_08_44_48_Pro.thumb.jpg.f2b2bd2f6f94935d0658b091d23f9a0f.jpg

Need to get a pic of them together...  definitely an Audi fanboy now I suppose!

• 1 month later...

Should have been finishing up the Jeep, instead helped junior paint in his tyre lettering...  I grew up on the Dukes of Hazzard and the A-Team, and it seems to have rubbed off!

WP_20200816_16_54_29_Pro.thumb.jpg.1cd85371315a9353797de3f336895f7b.jpg

In my defence, I also welded up the increasingly fragile exhaust...  good enough for now, but so few miles have not been kind to it and a whole new system will be required before getting pressed into service for real when he starts using it in anger.

• TrabbieRonnie changed the title to The Current Driveway... White lettering still cool...?

Also often tempted by those (probably completely shite!) Mk3 Firebirds to indulge in Knight Rider type hooning around...

A8, just cruising along really... actually clay-barred it last weekend, and polished with Bilt-Hamber's finest, looked lovely, and the amount of contamination that came out was amazing.

80 Coupe, not turned a wheel in quite a while now... need to fire her up, and get her cleaned and waxed up for protection.  I have too many cars, If they were all under cover it wouldn't be so bad, but without it it's becoming a job of work...

Hope all's well with you and yours.

1 hour ago, TrabbieRonnie said:

Also often tempted by those (probably completely shite!) Mk3 Firebirds to indulge in Knight Rider type hooning around...

A8, just cruising along really... actually clay-barred it last weekend, and polished with Bilt-Hamber's finest, looked lovely, and the amount of contamination that came out was amazing.

80 Coupe, not turned a wheel in quite a while now... need to fire her up, and get her cleaned and waxed up for protection.  I have too many cars, If they were all under cover it wouldn't be so bad, but without it it's becoming a job of work...

Hope all's well with you and yours.

All good here! Glad the A8 is still serving well. I bet the 80 will start right up, it's a nice example.

It will fluctuate at idle for a wee while, I have read that they all do after a battery disconnect, but yes she usually goes ok.  Having made a fairly pathetic attempt at selling it this year (it's lock down Mrs, no point trying...!) I'm quite happy it's still around, maybe Santa will bring me a powerflow exhaust...?!  

Hello all,

As Split Pin correctly predicted, the old Coop fired into life immediately and idled (burbled) away beautifully.  Us boys were feeling pretty pleased with ourselves at this point, so washed the old girl, took her for a spin up the local test track  private lane, and made the following vid!

Hook your peepers on the machine below...

Cheers all, hope a good weekend has been had.

• TrabbieRonnie changed the title to The Current Driveway... NEW YOUTOOB CONTENT!!!
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey all...

Autoshite Drivin' Academy sesh today at work....

119383621_WP_20200913_14_38_40_Pro1.thumb.jpg.2a84b8aad3b4a746117a66088dfb95f6.jpg

679564603_WP_20200913_14_38_05_Pro1.thumb.jpg.db3426056cab2f755dc5a8e4308f90c8.jpg

I think the wee 323 is just about the best learner car we could ask for, enough of a 'real car' to give some feedback, but not too unforgiving either.  It is running great (as usual), benefitting from it's complete new exhaust system fitted earlier this week... £400 quid fitted including the cat, which although "ouch", isn't too bad these days I suppose.  Another two years will see me scouring this place for a similar motor for the youngest... the red Nissan would have been perfect and if I had the garage space I might have gone for it.  

In other news, the A8's mot is due soon, and I am trying to tackle a slight vibration at the front end... I have decided to replace the upper control arm bushes.  This means tackling the infamous VAG 'pinch bolts of doom', so a happy* weekend of swearing/hammering/drilling no doubt beckons.  Will update with progress/expensive failure as appropriate.