Longbridge - the final chapter

Dick Longbridge

It would appear that the last bit of motor-related life at Longbridge is on the way out. To be fair, I didn't realise that the remaining facilities were quite as swish; I assumed it was a couple of portakabins, a coffee machine and lots of empty buildings patrolled by an over-zealous security team. 

Sad times. Did it really need to end like this?  

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/business/axe-hangs-over-140-jobs-16257773

Here's a photo of the place just as the main artery went bang...

342375_f9ee3389bebc43269be341808fb2b192.jpg

Very sad to see, I remember "The Austin" from when I lived there. I worked for Ford Dagenham whilst at university (just missing my preferred option of Jaguar) and both have basically gone. It is ironic I moved north and went into the oil industry for 30 years, and now that industry is in its death throws. Think I will retire this time and find a way of making pocket money, certainly too late for a new career for me.

The MG showroom on Piccadilly is currently closed - maybe for refurbishment. Given the 'me too' styling of the MG's I have seen I am not surprised they are not thriving. Why not a new sports car or MINI competitor using some of the original MG dna? Probably a vain hope. And RIP Longbridge - was lots of interest there that went (The Flight Shed etc). Pity.