1993 L reg Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8i LS. Mot'd May 2020. West Mids. Congrats to M'coli!.

Burnside

Well after almost 11 years it time to part ways with my Cavalier as recent changes mean I'm needing a estate car now. 

It's in tidy condition for it age and years but is no show car, though saying that I get plenty of nice comments off people about it which is nice!  Will be really sad to see it go as it's been a fantastic car to me and has always been a dependable friend. Holidays, house moves, days out, road trips buying tat or being on family taxi duty. It does it all without fuss. 

I have folders full of various receipts and bills for work carried out over the years and have got various spares mainly used that I can include if wanted.  I also have a compete spare 1.8 engine with 74,000 miles available too. 

Mileage is 204,000 but I did replace the engine with a secondhand unit about a year after first buying it with similar miles due to a oil pressure fault.  Though I've seen these Cavaliers with over  250,000+ miles and I have no issues with driving this car anywhere as these are hardy things. 

I've always serviced the car each year and always use a quality 15w40 oil.   In recent years it had all new shocks/ front springs and top mounts. Front Brakes and had various other parts replaced as needed to keep it ticking over. 

Has Pas, leccy front windows and central locking. Also has working Towbar see pic bellow. 

There so much more I can say but I'd be here all night!

Currently awaiting some Mot repairs to sort out emissions [ replace front downpipe ] and some minor welding to the rear floor pan . It should be ready for me to collect by Friday.  Any questions just ask away. Will add some pictures over the weekend once I've got the Car back. Still Insured till the end of May and Taxed etc. 

20190301_145533.thumb.jpg.c1d59c3b53d6be213f8d1da4e397d127.jpg

4 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Modern classic for £425 with full test. Can’t go wrong! Chuck in the fact these are an absolute doddle to work on. Looks tidy as well.

Is that a GSI grill as well? 

Thank's sierraman, I'm sure it will do someone a good turn like it has done for me all these years. Agree it's a pretty simple car to work on even for someone like me with limited spanner skills!

Yes the Grill was a brand new replica GSI item fitted a few years back. I still have the original to go with the car if someone preferred it too.  

Ooooof a Vauxhall botherers wet dream. I loved my cavaliers. I’ve an opportunity to buy a 1.7td CDX in red but alas, it’s a manual and the next motor I buy needs to be auto, and preferably rwd. 

1 hour ago, New POD said:

clutch changes in an hour, head gasket replacement in 3. 

IIRC you could change the clutch on the 1.7D without taking the box out. Fairly certain the later 1.8i didn’t have the “glory” hole in the gearbox to achieve this. Shame, but I suppose they were loosing out on labour charges! 

The 1.7 in those was one rough engine but certainly no worse than the the Ford 1.8TD. Abiding memory of those was the oil filter being a right cunt to do, was right round the back under the inlet manifold. Like I say ideal taxi though as it was all low down torque. Very tough unit but usual death was the pump circuit board breaking up. 

8 hours ago, sierraman said:

The 1.7 in those was one rough engine but certainly no worse than the the Ford 1.8TD. Abiding memory of those was the oil filter being a right cunt to do, was right round the back under the inlet manifold. Like I say ideal taxi though as it was all low down torque. Very tough unit but usual death was the pump circuit board breaking up. 

Oil change every 4.5k on the Isuzu 1.7td!!

3 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Wow! I thought you had actually sold this? Kinda glad you didn't, but I understand the need for a change.

If you sell this, let me know as I may know some estates up for grabs.

Cheers mate. I had advertised it previously on AS and Mot'd it earlier last year because I was thinking of selling it before the Insurance renewal was due as fancied a change. Then a few things happened and the Cavalier being such a good car it didn't seam the right time.  Now with certain things changing within our family it would make an Estate more practical and also it be nice to try something else. 

Thank's I will do,  though if it doesn't sell before the end of May when the Insurance expires. I'll likely keep it another year and just enjoy driving it. 

What's up with the Vectra? 

1 hour ago, RobT said:

I'd suggest a swap for my Impreza wagon, but I'm not sure the load space is any larger than the Cav's.

I do like the look of your Impreza Wagon but you might be right about the load space, I'm still tempted mind.  Though reading about your road trip in your Cav CD is reminding me why I've kept mine for so long!

Totally agree they are just good at being a dependable all rounder even though they have there faults like any car would.  I never thought I'd keep a car more than a few years top's till I had mine.

Finding a worthy replacement won't be a easy task but worse case, I'll have to get a trailer licence and buy a bigger one for the Cavalier instead! 

There a scruffy pre facelift CD Cav Auto Hatch in white not far from me that I'm keeping a eye on, but the Mot History check was pretty grim. Though that hasn't stopped me before.

Good shout with the Carlton. My Uncle had a face lifted Carlton Club Estate which I admired as a kid. Finding one within budget might also be a challenge but I would certainly consider one. Was thinking  of possibly a Omega Estate as a suitable replacement? Not sure if a 2.0 pez would be ok or I'm better of trying to seek out a Diesel. Would love a V6 but my wallet says no.

Spoke to the garage about my Cavalier earlier today and it won't be ready till Monday! So will do my best to get some photos of it before next weekend depending on how I'm doing for time.

I had a 2 litre Ecotec Omega and I found it a bit meh.  I think the later Cavs in 2 litre form had the Ecotec, and to me that's heresy.  The gruff torquey sound of a Family II engine is better, plus they're more robust.

An N reg Omega estate 2.0 8v would be perfect!  Apart from the fact they came with the shitty airbag steering wheel fitted to late Cavs and Mk3 Astras. A minor detail nonetheless.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:46 PM, rantingYoof said:

You can get a 2.0 8v in the Omega in super base-spec 'Select' trim.

It's probably better to to drive than the 135hp 2.0 16v, as it'll likely have more torque in the mid range.

I can raise you there... the base spec (in 1995 anyway...) was the Edition S. Unique and fitted with the 2.0 8 valve and available with automatic as well. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

22 hours ago, sierraman said:

I can raise you there... the base spec (in 1995 anyway...) was the Edition S. Unique and fitted with the 2.0 8 valve and available with automatic as well. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thank's RobT and sierraman for the added Omega info never knew it was available with the 2.0 8V ! I'm liking the sound of a 2.0 8V version more though I suspect finding one might be a challenge.  Will certainly start keeping a eye out for one. 

On 5/11/2019 at 12:15 AM, RobT said:

I had a 2 litre Ecotec Omega and I found it a bit meh.  I think the later Cavs in 2 litre form had the Ecotec, and to me that's heresy.  The gruff torquey sound of a Family II engine is better, plus they're more robust.

An N reg Omega estate 2.0 8v would be perfect!  Apart from the fact they came with the shitty airbag steering wheel fitted to late Cavs and Mk3 Astras. A minor detail nonetheless.

I've only sampled the 2.0 Ecotec in the MK3 Astra Sport and the Vectra B SRI and they seemed ok from memory, but must admit I'd prefer a 2.0 8V if I could find one.  As you say there pretty much built proof engines and most people I've chatted to about my Cavalier always say the same too. 

On 5/11/2019 at 9:59 AM, kinkersaab said:

Nautilus green  iirc.  used to sell  loads of ex leaqse ones of these in the 90s  great cars. 

Thank's they actually call this colour Nautilus Blue!  Though I've always thought of it as Green myself. I've really loved driving it these last 11 years it just gets on with whatever I throw at it without complaint. Selling it will be hard but hopefully I can find a worthy replacement in estate form. 

Spoke to the garage again today and the Cavalier should be ready for tomorrow at last ! So will be available to view from tomorrow evening. I'll give it another wash and will get some more pictures posted up asap.  

Thank's strangeangel, I have people stop and chat about my Cavalier and they usually say the same thing. Even the garage who did the Mot repairs said people have been pointing and talking about Cavaliers while they had it.

I think my Cav got Ideas though about me selling it and is trying a spot of sabotage !

I picked it up from the garage last night. All seamed well till I stopped for some petrol 5 mins from home. Got back in and put the window down. I could hear that the exhaust was blowing.  So had to take it back to the garage again today. Hopefully it can be ready for the weekend. 

Did get to inspect the floor repair though which I painted last night after I'd taken this photo below.

20190514_182713.thumb.jpg.0d13bdb61a15807f5c9e907f41d02143.jpg

Bump. The Cav still in the garage! The bolts for the Manifold to the new downpipe have snapped. So the garage is awaiting a new tap set to hopefully get it all sorted by tomorrow. 

I admit this hardly sounds great when I'm trying to sell it, but I'd trust this car to take me anywhere. Plus with a near brand new Mot this should do someone a good turn for the next 12 mths. 

The insurance is also up a week today so ideally like to sell this before then.  

I can't really drop the price as the Mot bill came to £200, plus I've got another bill for fixing the manifold to come too.

If there enough interest I'd consider a roffle or maybe a swap why? 

29 minutes ago, Burnside said:

I admit this hardly sounds great when I'm trying to sell it, but I'd trust this car to take me anywhere. Plus with a near brand new Mot this should do someone a good turn for the next 12 mths.

On the contrary, you're having any issues properly sorted before you pass it on. Good show.

Looks a lovely car, best of luck with the sale!

18 hours ago, mrbenn said:

On the contrary, you're having any issues properly sorted before you pass it on. Good show.

Looks a lovely car, best of luck with the sale!

Cheers !

I forgot to mention I did also get the garage to put on a new oil and filter and clean out the sump pickup for piece of mind as they can clog. 

The old boy clean's up pretty well. As I said before it's no show car as to be expected for a vehicle which has been a daily for the last 26 years, It still get nice comments off people though and with continued care I'm sure it will keep going. 

Hopefully picking up the Cav tomorrow or Thursday depending on work. So I'll get on to adding some pictures to the advert along with any updates.