princess ANNE...ETC.ETC...

kinkersaab

OK chaps, i have recently struggled to buy anything of interest. Then this came up, I know the chap who has it,  an ex customer of mine and has had it 20 years.   Its only done 14000 miles apparently and  been off the road in a garage for a few years now .  is it £4000 if its as it looks? , ie.  dusty and needing a wee fettle after being sat around.    These haven't been on my radar before …… it very much is now though. :) 

59737041_10216072509539658_7014464549726191616_n.jpg

60205445_10216072509779664_4675853018808188928_n.jpg

my thoughts were that the days of buying a good one at £2000 must have gone now.  I'm sure ropey, bodged ones are around at that, but to my mind if the story adds up it must be nearer £4000, but, I don't know, which is why I asked :)  

I'd imagine the chassis would be the biggest point of concern - is it in good shape? IIRC, most were painted, only the late ones were galvanised. Being low miles and garage stored, you might find it's ok. 

As I understand it, they should be mechanically pretty simple. No idea about values, though I do like the proper colour - very much of the period! 

Is it an early one? I can’t tell from the pics - although the older style door handles imply early-mid 1970s. If it genuinely needs a wash and a service to be mint, then that’s not an over the top price, but if it needs fiddling about with much I’d be haggling hard. 

Does it need an MoT if it’s been SORNed since the exemption? Or does it still need one anyway?

It’s a 74 manual with a guaranteed 14000 miles  apparently.  It is also totally original and unmolested.  Am going to see it tomorrow, the seller (who knows me well) doesn’t think I will be interested but hasn’t said why ......  ah well.  I will see what i think but I it looks right will try and buy it :) 

7 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

It's the right model,the original GTE,it's manual,it's low mileage,and it's got good history,if the interior is I in good nick and dry,and the engine healthy,it's on the money for sure.

I keep looking at these and they do seem to be getting stronger money these days. They are still well undervalued compared to absolutely everything else that they were sold alongside in their day and most other cars come to that, for reasons that are beyond me as they are quite fantastic looking machines.

No. Yes. If it really is as tidy as it looks paintwork wise and the nether regions are solid as fuck, doors are not droopy buy it.

Above all if you like it, buy it. Too many naysayers on ere.  I looked at a manky one a couple of years ago, £1200 it was, would have needed a total restoration, to reiterate, if it's A1 get it bought, enjoy and be the envy of many a shitter. 

Just keep an open mind. If it's been off the road for years, there's going to be a fair dose of recommissioning needed. 

Also, the Princess Anne thing does get really REALLY tiring. I found out she still owns a Middlebridge, which at least gave me something else to say other than 'Yes, I know.'

When I bought mine it was cheapish because it had been off the road for several years so I had to factor in the cost of new tyres, battery, brake overhaul, fuel system flush and new fuel lines, lots of perished vac lines etc.

Apart from that, if the chassis is in decent shape and the paintwork isn't shot I'd say go for it , they are the real deal breakers.

Anything else, I'm sure you can manage yourself.

Scimitars have been low value for a while, prices took a dive in the mid 90's and have remained comparatively low until recenty. There are lots of cars out there that are worn out probably needing extensive work even before they were taken off the road. Time has created a lot of basket case cars that will need a signifcant investment in time and energy and money. Genuinely origonal low milage cars are extremly rare and hardly ever come up for sale.

Few Scimitars have survived in factory origonal condition,  they are supurbly capable GT cars and most were used as such in their prime. Not many survive that are truly low owner and low milage examples. Most were driven hard, used and abused.

If you've definately found a 14,000 mile, origonal Scimitar GTE thats been dry stored for 40 (ish) years, with a tidy factroy interior and good origonal paint its undoubtedly worth the asking price.  You'd want some provable history to back up the milage though. (MoT history for example)

If its done 114000+ or more miles and the interior and paint are in need of extensive work then at £4000 as an off the road projet its a bit overpriced.

The later style wolfrace  wheels are ringning orignality alarm bells for me, while they look great. They were not factory fit on the 5a cars. So that implies its been at least slightly messed about with.

On the plus side the paint appears to be an origonal shade (nevada Yellow)

Happy to offer a morev in depth opinion if you happen to view it and get more details.

OK. I went to see it. Its nice, its original and un molested. I am told its mileage is verifiable and can quite believe it.  The drivers seat is burst, he has another leather interior to go with it, but that also has a burst drivers seat. he has the original wheels and trims?  to go with it, I think he added the alloys on it.  There was nothing really that put me off wanting it, other than the paint.  I am a bit of a fuss pot about paint. I like polishing and I like a nice finish. I am pretty certain this would have polished up well....for a plastic car.... but I really struggle with the ripple effect and a certain flatness that always seems apparent in a plastic car.  As I would want it to enjoy it rather that need it /use it I think it would annoy me and for that reason, im oot...unless it becomes so temptingly cheap I cant resist, which I think highly unlikely as im sure it will be snapped up. 

Fair enough, Respraying as Scimitar is an expensive buisness, theres something to be said for starting with a less good example and adding value and getting things done to the standard you want... Though its not cheaper in the long run!

I thought this car sounded interesting : https://scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=41115

I would have thought something like that could have been had for less than £2000.

• 2 months later...

re 14000 mile scimitar

car now recommisioned-paint been polished,most fading and the horrid tiger stripes on rear n/s quarter removed[3000 grit wet sand and polish] lot s of little touch ups done as well as a good going over and fluid changes,trunnions etc greased,new tyres,ht system,battery-its a turnkey car now,usable 

there was a strange knocking noise from the engine[sounded like a piston knock tbh]-this turned out to be the redundant mechanical fuel pump making a racket,this has been removed and blanked off with a nice ally "essex v6" plate

chassis looks A1 drives well [for a scimitar lol] leather interior now fitted,steel wheels will be refitted once they and their trims are refurbed-the slave and master clutch cylinders are a missmatch [common as folk fit land rover components] so the clutch is a tad heavy-nice action but heavy,the clutch has hardly done any miles so will be fine

jobs to do are valve stem oil seals,paint rocker covers and air cleaner housing-plus a general tidy up as i go-i never bought it direcly from the then vendor in may but from another gent,i think the knocking noise put him off-plus the lack of pas,heavy clutch etc

as for value i have already been offered far in excess of what i paid-the scimitars seem to have languished behind during the classic price rises and are now climbing=for decent examples anyway but for the moment i will keep a hold of it and improve it

67423753_2473312692690658_2508041282006286336_n.jpg

67293561_2473310106024250_6168052132067934208_n.jpg