Jag X-Type 2.5 Fuel Pump

Isaac Hunt

Our 2.5 X-Type has shit it’s fuel pump.  A la Focus, access is challenging and if you don’t want to drop the tank, then the way in is through the floorpan under the seat, pass me a can opener.  Now i’m not the greatest fan of cutting holes in cars, but there are many ‘how to guides on the web.  Some of them are brutally Neanderthal in there approach.  I elected to take a bit longer and drill a series of 4mm holes.  A brass tube around the drill bit stops the drill whipping through the floor.  The metal is very thin, so a decent drill bit is soon through.  I figured this way, it will be easier to make the piece that came out into a blanking plate with some tabs araldited on.  Some sound sending pad along and over the ‘joints’ should seal it all up.   Part way through, just charging my cordless drill up

654A6744-ED5A-44F3-AD9A-D254BF3E1B56.jpeg

We are in folks.  I changed form cold chisel to a dremel disk in cordless drill to join the dots (my cordless dremel is goosed and no access to 240v at cars location).   Metal is very thin and the drilling and cutting took a whole, but less of a while than I thought.   A little less ‘gung ho’ than our friends stateside, see vid.

FC66B0C1-ED6D-4225-9DD4-A26995E54F95.jpeg

Thank  you

Learnt few things today as this was might first 'messingwith these high pressure in tank fuel pumps.

i plumped it all in, wired it up (no modifications needed to the original wiring even though it was a cheepey  aftermarket pump).  Turned on ignition, pump whirred but no fuel from the filter.  That surprised me, I was expecting to see petrol pumping out with the ignition on.  So I thought I would give it a crank.  That did the trick, fuel pumped out into the fuel can that I had run a pipe into from the fuel filter.

connected up the fuel pipe to the filter outlet and gave her another crank, burst into life.

tightedened up the Locking ring and cracked out the gaffer tape for the time being to drop the 'plate'  back in the hole.  Some of that bitumen type sound deadening along each joint would really finish it of nice, but gaffer tape for the moment.

dimsantling the pump assemble in situ to just replace the pump unit is quite easy.  I assume it is the same on Ford Focus and the like.  A Focus Petrolwith a dead  fuel pump could be a good buy for a shitter.  I cost me £10 for the pump module.  I just weren't for a cheepy pump as part of the fault finding diagnostic.  Car seems to run ok.

i also modified the front plastic seat clips.  They are a real swine to unclip and I destroyed one getting the seat base out.  Fortunately whilst is was down the scrapyard for something else, a x-type yielded useable clip.