More chod in France

Saabnut

Today, being my last full day in France before heading northward, and being cool and overcast, decided to go and visit the lady with the 2CV to return the HBOL and make sure all was good. She was about to head to one of the local towns for a "Brocante" (Bric-a Brac market) so decided we would take the Honda as it has more room for crap quality purchases. Turned out to be huge, but poor, with several metric tonnes of childrens clothes and toys, interspersed with shite dug out of the sheds, mostly broken jugs etc. Still that is the thing with these Brocantes, you do not know until you get there. Had a pleasant wander around, but on leaving spotted this in the car park

IMG_3604[1].JPG

(Still trying to suss this new software) Heading back to drop off my friend, I had to pass the location of the remains of the Dolomite sprint that was previously spotted in Bucketeers Cycling South for Winter thread. When passing earlier in the week I noticed it had been moved further into the yard, and today I spotted 3 new editions, a 1200 Herald convertible, a TR7 with webasto and a Vittesse 2 litre convertible which was being placed with the others but on initial spotting was still being moved with a fork lift. It would be rude not to stop, so it was time to practice my awful French and take some pictures.

IMG_3605[1].JPG

IMG_3606[1].JPG

IMG_3607[1].JPG

Turns out the owner is a really nice chap and a Land Rover nut, owning a S3 safari, a S2a tipper, a Disco and a Defender. I managed to establish that the Vittesse is sold, but the Herald, TR7 and the Dolomite are for sale, although in a very poor state and probably spares cars only. Had a long chat with Jean (the owner) and have pronised to return and I have offered to source and transport any Landie spares he might need. I told him I was looking for a 2CV Fourgonnette (SP?) - van - as a project and he says he knows of one, which if I got the numbers right is a 1954 example. He has promised to find out more and send me photographs.

From the dust these look freshly "sortie de la grange" - France has a lot more proper barn finds not some old lock-up behind a fish shop etc.

Can't see if the are RHD or L. If RHD they may have gone out with some person doing a Peter Mayle?

The best brocantes are in small villages - they are allowed them a couple of times a year. All the newsagents have very efficient little guides for sale. Hours of fun and often great car stuff - but you have to be in the right places and go early....usually 7.00am!