Triumph 2000 MK1 giffer accessories

25v6turbo

It's a periscope. My friend had one on his Wolsley Six when he used to tow a caravan. Not sure how effective they were because they don't look like they'd clear the caravan. That would be a good period extra to have but you'd have to have an old 'van too, it'd look stupid on it's own. I notice it also has comically wide wing mirrors. At least you know if they fit through a gap then the caravan should too! 

9 hours ago, Amishtat said:

It's only my opinion, but the mark 1 just looks so much nicer. Mark 2s have a much nicer cockpit though. Surprised (and a little pleased) how the prices for these have increased over the last few years, but there's still little else to touch them for the money. If it had a blue oval on the bonnet etc etc.. 

I prefer the mk1 interior and exterior, particularly the pre-facelift with the white dials but will admit the mk2 is better. They essentially invented the modern ergonomic designs we still use today. Before then controls were scattered all over the dashboard and every car was different but the mk2 2000 has all the major controls on two stalks and the headlights on the side of the steering column. We take it for granted now but it was a bit of a revelation at the time. 

Obviously I'd prefer a mk1 but I'd have either these days if it was a goodun. This is bringing back lots of memories! My friend had a mk2, me a mk1 and there was lots of friendly(ish) rivalry between the two over which was best. 

There are some lovely pics there the Sudsprint one is amazing,pleased that Yoss one has been saved but have to admit its a touch bling for me,still stunning though,the wires remind me of the Auz release MD version which also had triple strombergs aswell,when I have finished a few jobs on mine I will post a few pics to see if I have added the right bits!

3 hours ago, 25v6turbo said:

triple strombergs

There's a period mod worth trying! Maybe not on an auto though. 

This is my fave pic of a mk1 that I have in my cloud. It's actually a genuine 2.5PI. Has some big Cibie's and Revolution wheels which are period, plus the vinyl covered C pillar as it's a PI but I have seen people add them to 2000's. DSC02227.thumb.JPG.f4764c2bd6ee4d2f29e862761e54bf6a.JPG

That's my 1300TC next to it. This was the start of the Club Triumph Historic Counties Run. Started on a Saturday evening near Fishguard and have to visit as many counties as possible on a list only given to us 30 minutes before the start. Finished Sunday morning in Lancashire but covered most of Wales and made it to the east coast in between. By the time I'd driven to London to pick up my co-driver in both directions I covered 1300 miles that weekend. 

Another photo taken the year before on a 'trial run' holiday with the caravan in the New Forest.

The Triumph is missing it's over riders and badge because on Christmas Day my Dad set off in the snow to collect my grandmother and slid into the rear fin of a Triumph Herald. For some reason he had to wait ages for them to be available.

IMG_7741.jpg

Another fantastic photo Sudsprint,i just can,t stop looking at that periscope its mad! I guess your Dad had to drill it to the roof?

Great to see pics like this when they were used as family cars for holidays etc

I will post some pics of mine when I have got all the bits I want...

Dare I mention if I should buy a roofrack?

The periscope definately was not drilled into the roof.

Much more likely it was a sort of overcam suction pad arrangement. Great idea but these days caravans don't have rear windows.

The caravan was jinxed - the Triumph overheated towing it on the hogs back (I can remember my Dad hitching a lift to get help off a bloke in fastback Rapier) and got stuck in the mud in France and had to be towed out with a tractor.

My mother hated the thing and it got parked round the side of the house until it was sold.

So we went back to hotel holidays, and the first at Brockenhurst had a fabulous new Triumph 2000 MK2 parked next to my Dad's Mark 1 in the car park.

The Triumph was sold in 1972 for an Audi 100~LS which I have photos of if anyone is interested.

Looking over the Triumph tonight,and I came up with a question I want to ask,the car is 51 years old and of course a lot of mechanical items would of been changed,has a stainless exhaust,have receipt for new rack etc,but is it worth changing things like engine mounts,discs,track rod ends etc just to be safe?,i know it costs money of course but not talking a full rebuild,just items that could be best changed to be safe,all the rear brakes look good,it has new pads but was wondering about shocks,ball joints etc etc,or should I just leave well alone and stick with what I have but maybe collect a nice spares backup incase I have to change anything in the future?

Sorry, forgot about this thread as it fell off the bottom of the page. 

But most of the things you mention I would leave well alone. From what you say, has it been off the road a while? Discs I would certainly leave alone unless they are seriously pitted with rust. Surface rust from lack of use will soon disappear when used and light scoring is no problem, the new pads will soon wear to match them. Old discs seem much more resilient than  on modern cars which almost seem like a service item now. I've only changed the discs once on my 1300TC in 24 years. 

Engine mounts do separate but the design means they just sit there. Just jack the front of the engine up slightly. If the mounts stay together leave well alone. Track rod ends can be be checked by jacking up a wheel and wiggling the hub but I wouldn't touch them if they seem OK. 

If it has been standing I'd just check the rubber bits. Check brake hoses where they join the metal ends, squeeze the radiator hoses, check exhaust mounts for cracking (though the design of the 2000 exhaust where it goes through the rear subframe means it won't fall off, it'll just rattle like buggery on the subframe). 

As mentioned a few days ago, (or a couple of minutes if you're reading this thread from the start) I've found some pics of my car after the Transit wiped out my offside front corner. IMG_20190514_164900.thumb.jpg.02ee34d4ca12bb2cdee32f0ec1eb0419.jpg

Though a close up shows the car wasn't as good as I thought, the cracked filler above the indicator clearly visible. IMG_20190514_164929.thumb.jpg.da8c4d05a2b1f5479479cac65cb03028.jpg

So I bought this to replace it. This clearly* shows the difference between Olive abd Conifer greens. IMG_20190514_164704.thumb.jpg.bfd4fba62b257807361df81b15c7a99b.jpg

But it was never the same. A bit like getting a new dog that looked just your old one and expecting it to have all the same personality traits. The big ends started rattling which was beyond my capabilities at the time so I sold it on and bought this. IMG_20190514_165128.thumb.jpg.455fdf26364b8c6c74abdd6bc0209199.jpgIMG_20190514_165156.thumb.jpg.8ee60dcd03f54df4fa07e2f170ee7455.jpgIMG_20190514_165058.thumb.jpg.ba34c17d6b9f51696ed0df5fdc436a63.jpg

Which was much more me. 

And here the two meet. IMG_20190514_164757.thumb.jpg.61430a71de53122aab3b3a88b6935f56.jpgIMG_20190514_164828.thumb.jpg.9b6be69763e3977e58efa1e11ea43341.jpg

Believe it or not these were taken after the accident and like I said MMF still looks this good today. KOR probably doesn't. I sold it to someone else in the local club meet who wanted to do it up. But he found the rear spring platforms were shot and I think it went for spares.