Triumph 2000 MK1 giffer accessories

25v6turbo

I was looking at my Triumph 2000 MK1 yesterday and thought it would be nice to add a FEW period items that would suit the car,not overpower the car with giffer items,but a few nice period items to give the overall look of the car from the period it was made(1968)so far when I bought it it has the following.

Badge bar,but no badges yet,this has been drilled into the front bumper so removing it will leave 2 holes,i don,t mind it but maybe only 2 badges need fitting,AA and maybe a Triumph related item.

It has a nice period rev counter on the top of the dash and oil/volt gauges which are in keeping and Smiths items.

The radio is crap and a 1980s item a period Radimobile is to be fitted,i was thinking about one of those MP3 upgrade items that still use the original radio,anyone else bought one?the aerial is mounted on the rear wing aswell.

Has nice NOS seat covers,packing was actually dated 1970, at the front,mainly because the original seats aren,t great!

Has no wing mirrors,towbar,or stickers in the windows,don,t mind the odd sticker but I don,t want to cover it was overpowering items...

So what else should I maybe consider or display with the Triumph?

I have a very nice period chrome map reading light, still new in its 60s packaging. I was going to put it in the Dolomite but never got around to it. Send me a message if it’s the sort of thing you are interested in and I will dig it out, they make stupid money on eBay as people put them in E types and the like but I would only want £20 posted for it.

One of those Tiger in the Tank tiger tails which were about in the 60's? A part filled -out book of Greenshield stamps in the box? A couple of those small vinyl pennants in a rear window - "We'e been to Tenby" and "Lands End" - these were very popular in the 60's. A stick on heated rear window if you don'thave one with a suitable dash switch?

Should of said its a slushbox,not my ideal choice but it goes like stink!it has a standard stainless exhaust on it which actually give a nice tone,had several MK1s with one box rear stainless sports systems before,they sound lovely....if i ever changed to manual overdrive i would fit one,but to be honest its nice just as a auto floating around by the seafront on a warm day.

Was thinking about the door reflectors but thought the bullet ones might suit it more?

I don,t want anymore front lights,it already has the 4 main ones another 2 will look abit OTT maybe

Oh and its Valencia blue aswell....

This was mine, also Valencia but manual overdrive. Back box had rotted off and it sounded absolutely beautiful. Sold early last year to a chap from Northampton called Rene who disappointingly didn't have a moustache or a comedy French accent. Hopefully it didn't end up on the track. 

IMAG0084.jpg

I hope it didn,t end up on the track like so many have,a MK1 is such a pretty car and they have now at last become rather collectable,on the lookout for a few MK1 parts and if another cheap MK1 came up for sale I would be interested.

29 minutes ago, bigstraight6 said:

You are spot on Yoss, the Chris Witor sports exhaust sounds glorious, it makes you want to have a drive for no other reason than listen to the exhaust note, my favourite is through the Saltash tunnel!

My 1300 has a bespoke exhaust with 4-2-1 manifold made by these guys in Salisbury that used to work for Downton. I've also had the engine balanced and flywheel lightened. It sounds really good on it's own but can't compare to the six. I've done a lot of Club Triumph's long distance events and they always have lots of 2000's on them. Many a time I've been overtaken by a 2000 and I always wind my window down. 

I remember once we were in the Peak District looking for caverns at 2 in the morning and we stopped for a loo break in Castleton and you could here Triumph straight sixes up in the hills. They would get louder and louder until one shot past then fade again. You could hear them for miles. I'll take that memory to the grave. 

This was my first 2000. A rare colour even then. Most of the two tone green cars were Cactus over Conifer, mine was Cactus over Olive, a rather browner shade of green! 

IMG_20190505_210652.thumb.jpg.f3f575f631e4bf121efa4bc58408f91c.jpgIMG_20190505_210928.thumb.jpg.e1715896f9a62603e512f2e53babcd29.jpgIMG_20190505_210842.thumb.jpg.bc1566bca4251fee8a9e9737089ddf9c.jpg

I only had it a couple of years when a man in a Transit drove in to it when he decided not to look as he turned in to T junction I had just arrived at. Wiped out my front offside corner. 

It wasn't all bad news though as I sold it on to another member of the local 2000 meeting. He had it repaired and still owns it to this day. I still see him at the odd show. He's blinged it up a bit which a few people might not approve of (and that might include me!) but it's absolutely mint. He's owned it 25 years now and it's still his pride and joy so he can do what he wants really. It's definitely in better hands than if I'd kept it. 

28389924751_40a9ce9bfb_b.thumb.jpg.53d1bdea22f9fa16df2acf144ea75d73.jpg

It's only my opinion, but the mark 1 just looks so much nicer. Mark 2s have a much nicer cockpit though. Surprised (and a little pleased) how the prices for these have increased over the last few years, but there's still little else to touch them for the money. If it had a blue oval on the bonnet etc etc..