Andy's awful autos: PLAS!

Andyrew

I forgot this was a MK4 and 1300. That's the correct dizzy for the earlier cars. I don't know if the Delco repro condensers are any better than the repro Lucas style. I suspect not but hq alternatives aren't in big supply. If it was me, I'd make the HQ condenser fit - even if it's external to the distributor. Or try finding a NOS unit. Looks to be a NOS available on eBay. 

5 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Are you certain it's the correct distributor for the car?  If the PO had similar problems, maybe the wrong one was fitted in the dim & distant?

Id had a bit of a google and it seems to be correct. The dizzy looks very clean bit ive not looked closer to see if its an aftermarket replacement yet.  Ive had a timing light on it and its advancing the timing. 

Ill have a nosey at the carbs again and find what code needle its running, karl the previous owner said the needles are probabbly too large but the car wouldnt run on the needles that the sus had in them, ill set them to a default again.

Then ill have a nosey at the igniton side, 

From idle and reving it seems okay but once driven the Mid range it can run nicely but from pulling away it bogs and splutters and in the higher rpm it feels like its breaking up.

Im of to the download festival this week so thats next weeks problem!

Could be the fuel pump is leaking internally and not providing enough fuel. 

If you stick your finger on the pump intake and pump the lever (will need removing as these don't usually have external manual pump levers) to see if it holds a pressure on your finger. 

There is also two pumps. One that takes a spacer and one doesn't. The 1500 has a spacer. However it maybe that they have been mixed up - i.e. someone has put a spacer on and then the pump subsequently replaced with a non spacer one. 

Rev dependant could also be down to the ignition advance not working/seizing up in the distributor. Take the lid off and check nothing is seized on the weights. Turning the top backwards usually makes it flick them out. 

The fuel tank pick up/lines/pump/filters were also on the list of things to go through and check. Although its new The fuel tank sender seal is weeping so im going to pop that out and have a nosey inside the tank just to know that all is well or swill it out and make sure its clean.  

Im more than happy to purchase a new dizzy and possibly go electronic igniton but i want to be at least 90% certain on what the fault is first. 

The accuspark electronic modules are a bit hit and miss. Their distributors are invariably shit and nowhere near correct timing. Better off getting yours rebuild. 

But before throwing parts, don't forget the age old rule to diagnose first!

• 2 weeks later...

Shitfire tinkerage take 2. 

I had a tweak of the timing and dizzy again, swapped the condensor for one that was in the boot.  It appeared a bit better bit still spluttery.

I popped the tops of the carbs again and dediced to have a more indepth look. This time i popped the tops off the float chambers and this revealed alot of crud at the bottom and far less fuel in one than the other, a blow throw to check and sure enough its clogged.  

I cleared the blockage, cleaned out the bowls and set the carbs to a default setting and balanced them.  

A test drive and all seems well so far. 

With the car nice and hot the pump was deployed and then some fresh 20w50 oil lobbed in. 

20230613_165920.thumb.jpg.605260542d907436b1056a5f9c138841.jpg

The sun out and the photogenic tree looking awesome it was time for a photo.

20230613_174009.thumb.jpg.686b7b9b049b0c3326161fa4f989923f.jpg

1 hour ago, Andyrew said:

Test drive 2!  How did it perform? 

Fire up from cold 

Let it run  for a bit

Reverse out of workshop

Exhaust detaches somewhere at the front

Drive back into workshop

Wash Astra instead.

Like I say, a well sorted Triumph, yours obviously isn't yet but everything is simpler than the stuff you normally work on so you should be able to sort it with all your facilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats been going on. 

A works c1 had a quick service,

friend of a friend friends freelander 2 had a quick sevice and a look over.  Meh. 

Hyundai accent belonging to one of the girls at work had some suspension concerns. A couple of ball joints and drop links later and its running smooth. May return for a bit of work later on.

Shes one of the nicest people you could meet so i gave the exterior a good scrub and a wax as it hasnt been washed in years. Headlights a quick buff and boy those Wheels took some effort. 

20230616_181505.thumb.jpg.15953db6e26f7ce501c54d06e555bcf7.jpg

20230618_203852.thumb.jpg.cf6d37213a780234a092183dc8933023.jpg

Took the spitty out for a blast one evening and it was running pretty bloody well. A nice evening too.

Today i needed to pop to a farmers market. i thought ill take the country lanes and the wee triumph.

Must have been a road closure somewhere as the quiet lanes i took were locked up. The heat in the engine bay i think caused the running issues.  The carbs were absolutely roasting. Couldnt touch the float chambers! 

20230625_102722.thumb.jpg.e46470f93cb028f0238f4c241b6348ec.jpg

So a couple of shade stops let it air out (me too as i was being cooked!)

20230625_105955.thumb.jpg.1682bbf5c33d0ce3963821f59a18d7f3.jpg

About 2 hours for 13 miles.  The brakes kept going softaswell and the overdrive stopped working on the way home!

Ahh well, little niggles. 

48 minutes ago, SiC said:

Does yours still have the mechanical fan and carb heat shield? Mine doesn't have the side shields and I suspect that might be helping mine a bit too. 

Standard mechanical fan, cooling wise it seems to sit perfectly on the halfway mark. A smidge over today in traffic, i would expect to be un happier but its fine surprisingly.

No carb heatshield, it was on the list just not ordered one yet.  The engine has a 4 branch which i dont believe is stock and this kicks up an awful lot of heat. I may wrap the exhaust and buy or or make a shield. Just to get the temp in the bay a bit lower, we sell wrap at work so its cheap and im curious to see the difference

Side panels are on but ones a bit sad

10 minutes ago, Yoss said:

If you have a tubular manifold then a heat shield is at least a very good idea if not actually essential.

Here's a question then @Yoss. I'm running a single HS4 and I'd like a heat shield, not least so I could mod it to divert any fuel overflow to ground rather than on the manifold. Can't find one for love nor money. Only ones I can find are for twin carb setups. How come that is?

6 minutes ago, Matty said:

Here's a question then @Yoss. I'm running a single HS4 and I'd like a heat shield, not least so I could mod it to divert any fuel overflow to ground rather than on the manifold. Can't find one for love nor money. Only ones I can find are for twin carb setups. How come that is?

Must admit I'd never thought of that, mine being twin carb as well.

You could get something like this and only use one side. The side that covers the float chamber obviously.

mst019pic1_12.thumb.jpg.c3d5fc4e8a787774e2dd1771e390bf3f.jpg

It does seem a waste to have to buy the other bits as well but like you say I've had a quick look and not found anything.

47 minutes ago, Yoss said:

You could get something like this and only use one side. The side that covers the float chamber obviously.

It does seem a waste to have to buy the other bits as well but like you say I've had a quick look and not found anything.

As long as its not me going mad 😁

1 hour ago, Yoss said:

Probably could drill the holes through both and mount both on top of each other. 

IIRC, in the real world there never was a production single HS4 installation with a tubular manifold - they were all cast, and well clear of the carb -  so there was perhaps no requirement  for a heat shield.   Deffo a good idea though.  But they do get in the way somewhat.   

3 hours ago, Andyrew said:

No carb heatshield, it was on the list just not ordered one yet.  The engine has a 4 branch which i dont believe is stock and this kicks up an awful lot of heat. I may wrap the exhaust and buy or or make a shield. Just to get the temp in the bay a bit lower, we sell wrap at work so its cheap and im curious to see the difference

I have a 4 branch manifold on mine. I believe @N Dentressanglefitted it when he owned it. 

I have a heatshield and measured ~53c on the carbs. Reflective surface so might have been a fair bit more. Hot to touch but not too hot to hold. 

PXL_20230523_151001634.thumb.jpg.71aae2b886b56e5560c268cd56dc8446.jpg

PXL_20230523_150955395.thumb.jpg.83d9448aa4d830ea18b9397f539e5bf8.jpg

This is only a piece of aluminium sheet that acts as a heatshield. My BGT has an additional fibrous board (mine is original so almost certainly asbestos) to further help with keeping heat away from the carbs.

I did notice that after a spirited drive yesterday taking my neighbour out and manoeuvring it into the garage, the idle dropped back a bit. So could have well been that mine was getting too hot as well. Also might be the poppet valves on my carbs playing up too. 

Tbh if you've got some decent thickness aluminium sheet kicking around, I don't think it would be a bad shout to at least make one. They're not exactly a complicated shape or design. 

• 3 weeks later...

Back, crack, cack, smack

This is back! Black eco4 returned home from its time with @Six-cylinder

20230711_133341.thumb.jpg.4074a62b9fc71a550b53c9b5e50b3c6c.jpg

The blue corsa of high oil consumption returned for a weld up of this crack

IMG-20230710-WA0000.thumb.jpg.f4f17efb994dfee51b2eb789d6e42c9e.jpg

Picked up a tin top for the shitfire locally for a mere £85, its in good shape but the blue and white combos a bit cack, i have zero interest in painting it so ill let it grow on me.

20230711_182009.thumb.jpg.fb9883644da7b8be0903d9bd35cf8823.jpg

And finally the 1 series mentioned here before having a starter fitted and i may have mentioned an oil change that was its first in something like 5 years and about 50k, Well a distracted mother and a parked pick up lead to a smack.

no one was injured and thats one more 1 series off the road. So a good outcome really, shitheaps. 

IMG-20230605-WA0001.thumb.jpg.2f4727e145375e96903c5f12e2bd8be0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Autoshite August. 

Daily updates every day of this month, all working on a shite car in some form or another.  Doing jobs on a different vehicle each night and rotate between my own and other guest cars. 

Why? 

Since the ex pissed off earlier this year, i moved closer to the workshop rather than my work so id have something to do in the evening and maybe id keep myself motivated. The reality is ive done a few car repairs for friends and done the odd job or two here and there on mine when essential. Most days i just have my dinner and veg out watching people on youtube fixing cars after a long day , my mojo is on its arse, im unhappy and im getting fat. 

First step, Why am i spending this much time watching people on youtube doing something i should be?  TV removed from the living room and packed away behind the bed. 

Right then. Lets crack on shall we?

Day 1

A quick visit from my friend in the "chuggy buggy" that belongs to his now partner.  Still running like a champ however a knocking from the steering rack area was apparent.  Some wiggling and shaking later and i clock that the bolt holding the rack to the subframe was loose.  A quick nip up and all is well. The low hanging rear exhaust was also messed around with and now sits slighty higher, a new more shallow exhaust may need to be made. 

With that done he left and i lobbed the Black Astra on the lift.

Many moons ago id picked up some cheapo rear shocks and a supplier at work had at the time a load of springs on clearance so a rear pair were purchased at 1 pound plus vat each!

Crusty!

20230801_212959.thumb.jpg.f57dacf864012ecba26f95b408df6a6f.jpg

Shocking 

20230801_212954.thumb.jpg.78cb4a73c537b01ac6bf6f3291c393b3.jpg

In and done.  

20230801_215248.thumb.jpg.d333a7227ab8c74dae71e48ad092f4e9.jpg

See you tomorrow!

• Andyrew changed the title to Andy's awful autos: Autoshite August - Daily Diary

Day 2

Squeaky Accent.

20230802_205158.thumb.jpg.993a32eeab859a322eaf9701a804240b.jpg

The last time this wee wagon was here id done some balljoints and links upfront. I also changed the belts as the powersteering had been squealing its arse off.  I changed the belt, the power steering belt is an industrial sized belt and i set the tension maybe a smidge less than id nomally go but the belts driven off the water pump pulley an the possibly original 135k waterpumps got a tickle of play in it and i wasnt looking to over do it. 

20230802_205220.thumb.jpg.68c38ec5a4dc7e5319c15c8b76ab57ea.jpg

All was well but a week or so later once the belt had settled in the noise returned on full lock.  I gave it a little tighten first but it seemed to make it worse.

With  the owner on holiday i said id have another look. This time i popped it all apart and gave the pulleys a bit more of a clean up. Id wire brushed them before to remove all the belt slip burnt on crud.  but this time i nipped over the channel with some abrasive paper and chucked a new belt on again. 

Fires up and lock to lock it seems to have cured it but it did last time! We will see. 

With that done i rummaged around the workshop and put some spares id had kicking around for the jimny inside it ready for it to go to its new owner.

20230802_221238.thumb.jpg.28d825c873a30c271e6ab15c8939ffd1.jpg

And thats as exciting as it got. 

See you tomorrow.