Andy's awful autos: PLAS!

Andyrew

3 minutes ago, garethj said:

Oh, fucking bollocks!  That was solid 6 months ago.  Shit🙁

Think id have been more surprised if it hadnt needed a tickle with the welder there than i am now. 

Out of curiosity, do you know what caused the damage to the rear end?

And the oil looks fairy decent do you recall its last change? 

After looking at a few (and owning another Mk2 a couple of years ago) this one was good and solid on the front chassis legs.  I can’t believe it’s deteriorated so much in 9 months.

Damage to the rear was clonking it against a crash barrier.  It was less than 30mph and we took it for an alignment check to make sure there was no damage on the suspension.

It had a service just before we bought it so last summer.  I don’t think it’s taken more than half a litre of oil in that time.

• Andyrew changed the title to Andy's awful autos: NOW 4% LESS CRISPY
52 minutes ago, Talbot said:

That is a lovely repair job.  I've no doubt being able to just chop out everything that is rotten  right back to a decent seam makes things a bit easier, but that's a superb bit of surgery.

Having the panels saved a ton of time, the little patches where made as fast and easy as possible. Hence the odd shapes.  Start to finish was 8 hours. 

There are bits that i dont like but its far better than whats been chopped out. probably a fair bit stronger now, The cutting , fit and finish is crude and some bits of heavy pitting left in but given its a 109k scabby mx5 with a bashed rear quarter theres got to be a time limit somewhere. 

Are you using 0.6mm or 0.8mm wire for those welds?  I've got a glut of 0.8mm wire at the moment so am tending to use that for everything, including work that would be better with 0.6, meaning the welds often end up too big as I can't turn the wire feed speed down slow enough while maintaining a stable weld.

I think I might have to upgrade to a decent inverter-type mig welder then, as my current massive cebora panther 200, even on the lowest voltage setting, simply will not do a small neat weld on bodywork with 0.8 wire.  It's amazing for bigger welds, but thin stuff it struggles on.

It also weighs 600 tonnes and is a bastard to move about.

One issue with sorting the tyres is the front pair are one style in 14inch 

IMG-20210328-WA0012.thumb.jpeg.4f6b1cdb55b09c2bb9cff0d89550916e.jpeg

The fronts have good tread but are a smigde cracked and a bit old. The rear are mismatched one recent and one shagged.

So 1 part worn?  A pair on the rears? Live with the mis match? Decisions decisions. 

Trying to find a rim with a good used tyre on it seemed to be around 40 quid and not local. A full set for 120 was fairly local but in that there east london. Ballache and ulez whatevs. 

Being next to luton a partworn could be fitted easily with plenty of places in the shithole town selling used tyres but given the shite the locals of luton are happy to drive on and sell as a good tyre id rather not waste the money.

A chap who comes in the shop breaks the odd mx5 up so a message or two later and an order with demon tweeks ebay shop later, some toyo tr1s and 4 slightly scruffy black rims became mine. 

20210330_194400.thumb.jpg.54aed7b313539cce308e3895f2ae5be2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

Trying to find a rim with a good used tyre on it seemed to be around 40 quid and not local. A full set for 120 was fairly local but in that there east london. Ballache and ulez whatevs. 

Being next to luton a partworn could be fitted easily with plenty of places in the shithole town selling used tyres but given the shite the locals of luton are happy to drive on and sell as a good tyre id rather not waste the money.

A chap who comes in the shop breaks the odd mx5 up so a message or two later and an order with demon tweeks ebay shop later, some toyo tr1s and 4 slightly scruffy black rims became mine. 

20210330_194400.thumb.jpg.54aed7b313539cce308e3895f2ae5be2.jpg

Excellent

20210330_203803.thumb.jpg.2aec83a82f066648a29cf1574863cf5e.jpg

Not too bad condition wise but im not feeling the black tho.  Time to check what rattle cans are in stock, im not buying any paint so the cabinet decides what colour they will be.  

I didnt want to spend more than half hour or so a wheel so a quick scuff with some scotch bright, and some simoniz steel wheel silver gets this result.

20210330_203333.thumb.jpg.94e9775bd922c77f7715e1824993cbd8.jpg

Thats good enough,  certainly better. Not too silvery.

Well it would have been left there, but  ideally it wants clear coat over it. I didnt have any. But i did have some matt clear so i went over it with that. This changed the colour however, looked nice enough but i had some Astra star silver too and some masking tape. So the outter rim got some silver to give that " faux machined lip" look 

20210330_215912.thumb.jpg.072a9acc01c5e61d739f7c7f285bacb4.jpg

My friend john then took them and shod them with the new rubber.

20210331_184331.thumb.jpg.473bedee485908328761096c1ed815d7.jpg

Ooooooo

La 

La

Who doesnt love new tyres?