Andy's awful autos: PLAS!

Andyrew

Now back home parked up, 165miles in a £170 ASTRA. 

Brakes are in dire need of bleeding as the pedal is a tad spongey , but we didn't want to risk shearing a nipple,  no nuns or kittens died on my drive home so all is well. 

Joe was an absolute gent, cheers dude. 

10/10 would buy old chod from again. 

He gave me back £30 to get some part worns flung on to get home on. A greatly appreciated gesture.

Even had nearly half a tank of veg/diesel mix. Used a quarter on the return trip which works out about 58mpg. 

20190505_182405.jpg

With the success of yesterday still high I jump In ecto4 this morning and she churned to a click of a starter so one dead battery. It looks ancient so tomorow I'll have a rummage in work for a reasonable one in the scrap pile, because cheap ass.  

Quick buff of the headlights tonight, only a quick buff just to get the worst off. Will give them another buff then a coat of sealer.

Flung an air filter in, will do an oil change tomorow night. 

20190506_203434.jpg

20190506_203441.jpg

Good battery from the scrap pile at work sorted, fresh dolop of oil and filter. 

Nipped up to a guy we send people to who does key repair to have the fob looked at. It was sending a signal but it was scrambled so a good used board was reprogrammed and a new casing and battery fitted. £20 well spent, top bloke. 

20190507_190005.jpg

20190508_130434.jpg

On 5/6/2019 at 11:17 PM, mrbenn said:

Decent cars, these. The headlamp has come up well!

A mate has recently got hold of a 51 plate 1.6 8v estate that we are slowly fettling. Only done 87k and drives lovely apart from an annoying hesitation issue.

A friend at work is having issues with her 1.6 8v. The ecu has been condemned and the company say something else has caused the damage.

04 plate with only 15k on the clock. 

Be a shame if it gets scrapped as there's plenty of life left on the car mechanically.

2 hours ago, Andyrew said:

A friend at work is having issues with her 1.6 8v. The ecu has been condemned and the company say something else has caused the damage.

04 plate with only 15k on the clock. 

Be a shame if it gets scrapped as there's plenty of life left on the car mechanically.

That would be a shame with such low mileage. What symptoms is she getting? I've read that a fault code for the throttle potentiometer is a common one iirc.

44 minutes ago, mrbenn said:

That would be a shame with such low mileage. What symptoms is she getting? I've read that a fault code for the throttle potentiometer is a common one iirc.

I'm not total Sure I've not looked at or driven the car myself.  a misfire and lack of power I believe was the issue. It was left at work, coil was changed but this made no improvement. A trusted mechanic came to conclusion of a failed ecu. 

Ecu was sent off no fault was found. Ecu refitted, symptoms still the same. Ecu was sent back to company and they  retested the unit and came to the conclusion the ecu is beyond repair. 

Thanks for the info. This one has a hesitation and seems to go into limp mode (reduced acceleration, won't rev past 3500 rpm). Switching off and on again usually sorts it out and it was driven nearly 200 miles at the weekend with minimal issues.

Decided to tidy up the rear arch, it had taken a knock at some point and was getting a tad frilly. 

I've no idea why I decided to do it with the varied weather we have going on at the moment And with a workshop full of immobile shite I had to opt to do it outside. With a big rain cloud lurking I grabbed the wob, vactan and rattle cans. I rushed it and got runs in the clear so it really is not great but is marginally better than what was there, with the bottom edge needing a tickle from the welder at some point it will want doing again anyway.  And the shite masking tape resulted in a big blob of overspray on the side skirt, cleaned off with a scrub of thinners. 

20190510_185115.jpg

20190510_185121.jpg

20190510_191422.jpg

20190510_192215.jpg

20190511_190345.jpg