Collection thread

wuvvum

Home safe and sound.  The old crate never missed a beat.  It's far from perfect (as one would expect at this age, mileage and price point), but it's a comfortable thing to cruise along in, the cruise control works and the radio sounds decent, and that's all you need really.

It's a bit of an unusual beast being a manual 530D - the majority of these were autos.  Initially I found the performance a little disappointing, but I think that was a combination of a. me expecting too much from a fairly old-fashioned engine lugging a heavy car through a high-geared transmission, and b. me shifting up too soon as being a 6-pot it sounds like it's revving higher than it is.  70 is about 2,000rpm, so going from 50 to 70 in 5th it doesn't exactly set one's pants on fire, but as I discovered when I dropped it to third to get past a lorry on the A17, it actually shifts quite well when properly given the beans.  I haven't dared turn off the traction control yet, but I think it could be good fun on wet roundabouts too once I know it a bit better.

It's an SE, so quite well equipped, with beige leather and Xenon lights, but no nav or electric seats.  The stereo is at least as good as the Rover's though, and the cruise is rather less basic and therefore more useful. 

DSC_0164.thumb.JPG.27fa60ed1629bbe8b5cf022227a8919d.JPG

DSC_0166.thumb.JPG.2d1aece9e18fb1de07b350dcb4efa3e1.JPG

It's also eligible for membership in the Autoshite High Mileage club - it wears its miles fairly well from a driving point of view, although you can tell it's far from a new car.

DSC_0165.thumb.JPG.6fcb66bffe6901246719b56cfcd5a3c6.JPG

I'm not 100% sure how it did on fuel as I forgot to reset the trip computer on the way back, but it was saying about 35mpg average when I left, and that had risen to 44 by the time I got home, so it's safe to say it was doing at least 45mpg on the run back from Huddersfield (which is a bloody long way from Norfolk).  I didn't have to put any fuel in it in the end - it got me home on what was in the tank with (according to the computer) 63 miles to spare.  So that was a bonus.  Also, because my train left an hour late, I can claim the full price of the ticket back - which is just about enough to cover a Honda Spacy exhaust I've spotted on eBay.  Looks like everything's coming up Milhouse.

12 hours ago, Broadsword said:

First class on LNER can be excellent value for money. Cheaper than buy the food yourself sometimes!

On a Friday afternoon, the price of first class advance from Hemel Hempstead to Runcorn was 25 quid cheaper than the 2nd class advance.  LNER not involved