Rover 45 Roffle brought to a close.

purplebargeken

13 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

Too shite for a roffle even? Crikey, that's disconcerting.

No, it's not too shite. If I could put my hands on an Xbox and a knackered child's bike I'd be swooping it for it. More seriously, if I had 425 pictures of the queen's head spare I'd have booked a ticket to the smoke and applied for a visa to get in as it really looks ace.

A big thanks to Ken for lending me his lovely  45 for a couple of hours to reverse engineer the CVT diagnostic protocol.

The car looks pretty good apart from an ill fitting front left indicator and some minor wing damage there. It's presentable enough as it is or with a bit of effort (like a front wing repair or replacement) could be perfect.

I didn't drive it but I did run the engine and it sounded fine, and didn't overheat or anything.  There were no current error codes in it either.  I would love to have gone for a spin as I've never driven (or even been in) a CVT but I just didn't have the time.

Personally if I needed a cheap auto right now I would have just bought it on the spot.  But I don't.

4 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

^^ Flash bastard ;)

also because it was the only pen that could survive my chewing :mrgreen:

pretty much any other pen would be  a stub by the end of the school day, probably one of the many reasons I had no friends no school :) (its also why half of my shirts where missing buttons *nom* )

Oh well, thanks to the folk who participated in the roffle, your interest was hugely appreciated. Sadly it doesn't seem to be something that folks want, is it the CVT? Is it just Rover 45? Who knows. 

There was only a small amount of roffle interest, no interest in outright purchase either.  Shame really as it really is a lovely, lovely car to sit in, drive and enjoy but that's how it goes.

Thanks anyway :)

I dunno what it is about 45s , Ken, but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of love for them generally (BL Bloke and a few others on here excepted). I agree, they are a lovely wafter to tool about in - if I didn't already have the 620, I'd have had this off you in a heartbeat.

Maybe worth chucking it up on the Rover 200/400 Owners Club forum (they accept 45s now) ? 

http://www.rover200.org.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=13

2 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

Oh well, thanks to the folk who participated in the roffle, your interest was hugely appreciated. Sadly it doesn't seem to be something that folks want, is it the CVT? Is it just Rover 45? Who knows. 

There was only a small amount of roffle interest, no interest in outright purchase either.  Shame really as it really is a lovely, lovely car to sit in, drive and enjoy but that's how it goes.

Thanks anyway :)

does the CVT in these keep the revs in 1 place like in a Model 70 or does it have some black magic mixed in to emulate gear changes so people dont get freaked out by it all?

There's a bit of that, but tickets close to £10 have always needed a desirable prize, and nice as this is the CVT will out off a lot including me.

Sub £5 tickets still sell out pretty quickly, as the Almera shows, and it's been a long while since we've seen a sub£2 a go car.

1 hour ago, clayts450 said:

I dunno what it is about 45s , Ken, but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of love for them generally .

Just my opinion but I think the main thing working against the 45 is the cost of insurance as they are generally in a higher insurance group than a Rover 75 with the same engine.  My 1.4 45 for example is in the same insurance group as a 1.8 75 (Group 17) and I suppose that, given the choice, a lot a people would rather have a 75. To be honest it's the thought of the insurance costs that has .put me off buying it, as well as not having driven an automatic before.   

26 minutes ago, loserone said:

There's a bit of that, but tickets close to £10 have always needed a desirable prize, and nice as this is the CVT will out off a lot including me.

Sub £5 tickets still sell out pretty quickly, as the Almera shows, and it's been a long while since we've seen a sub£2 a go car.

Id have 2 tickets at a fiver each or 3 at 2 quid