1997 Astra 1.6 estate

montytom

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

If you imagine a sphere of 30cm from the perimeter of a suspension or seatbelt mount that’ll give you a good idea of if it’s a fail. Like I say I’m just going on the pictures. 

If its 4 inch now though could be more like 8 once you’ve chased it back to solid metal. I’d try and get it on a ramp and be able to properly check the underside before spending anything on it. Likely candidates for rot will be the spring mounts, get something like a blunt old chisel and poke up into the centres. If these have gone I’d have a rethink. 

Thankyou I will check it out. Thanks again

3 hours ago, HMC said:

Glad to see it getting some TLC! I know the ethos of the site differs from this but If it’s purely a case of £150 worth of budget transport to you and nothing more, why not run it as is (plus the belt swap) and weigh it in come January 2020? On one level That’s the beauty of a £150 car after all.

Definately Matt its cheap motoring no matter what happens

Ok so the update. It's all back together now and starts up and runs. Gets warm on the temperature gauge as it should(thermostat fixed)

Filled in the hole in the rear inner arch. 

Also put 2 new tyres on today.

The main reason for me getting the car was wanted to take my Sinclair c5 places then ride on cycle tracks etc.

Well that's buggered that plan as it doesn't fit in the car.

I have to thank my dad as he done all the work. 

I must admit I dont like the car even though I have not driven it so my dad is thinking of having it for himself as a car to get him to work and back. 

I should have measured it before buying it but you live and learn