1997 Astra 1.6 estate

montytom

Ok so I thought Id better get a thread on this car due to purchasing it from a member on here HMC.

I wasnt looking for a car but I saw it and it was much cheapness and after a little procrastination decided to purchase it.

HMC very gratiously drove the car to my house and I gave him a lift back.

He had been very honest about the car( I wish more people were)

The first thing was getting a cambelt kit due to the thermostat not working properly( running cool).

So heres a list of things bought so far 

Timing belt kit

air filter

car battery

oil filter

oil

spark plugs

thermostat

waterpump

drive belt

Front brake discs

Front brake pads

Rocker cover gasket

crankshaft seal

sump plug

sump gasket.

Me working nights has stopped me doing anything due to very long hours at work.

My dad woke me up and said you had better come and have a look at your car.

He showed me the cambelt and said you were very lucky that it didnt go due to it not having hardly any teeth left. (its a non interferance engine)

The car is now in bits and he has taken friday off from work to get it all sorted for me. We had a look underneath the car and its very rusty( which we knew)

There are a couple of big holes in the inner rear arches and alot of underpaint peeling so we have got some stonechip and after rubbing down will paint.

Im very happy with this purchase as normally I want my cars to look as good as possible but its nice to have something I am not afraid of leaving in a carpark.

Also I can fit my sinclair C5 in once i complete that.

I hope HMC doesnt mind me using his pictures.

Thanks Thomas.

post-4673-0-41179300-1555879825.png

post-4673-0-89789300-1556309798.png

post-4673-0-00252100-1556309848.jpeg.jpg

post-4673-0-90308700-1556310609.jpeg.jpg

20190428_145701.jpg

20190430_210353.jpg

4 hours ago, dave j said:

Saved just in time looking at that belt! I take it the C5 fits in the back? I would love to see the C5 at some point as I don't think I have ever seen one other than in pictures! 

I hope it fits I have not actually tried it but it looks commodious. If ever we get to the same show I'll bring it along(once it's back together)

3 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

This is class, watching with interest and pleased to see you got to the belt in time. Not sure if these are interference or not but either way that looks to have been properly close to going!

They are non interference from what I have been told. It surprised me when I saw it

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

That belt is fucked. I’m surprised it hasn’t jumped a cog when starting it. 

It's strange isn't it. It started up and then got delivered and ran absolutely fine. I never started it myself.

1 hour ago, snagglepuss said:

That is seriously getting your money's worth out of a belt.

Well spotted !

It has paperwork stating it was done 3 years ago. Just glad we checked it as the cover was cable tied together.

14 hours ago, dave j said:

Saved just in time looking at that belt! I take it the C5 fits in the back? I would love to see the C5 at some point as I don't think I have ever seen one other than in pictures! 

Proper dodged a bullet with that there belt.  As far as Close shave go, you'd have people buying the timing belt manufacturers because they were that impressed

+1  for Mk3 Astra lurv, especially the estates. I had an L reg one from new with the 1.7TD engine (and natty 'intercooler' badging) that was just epic - always delivered 600 miles or more to a tank, irrespective of how I drove it. And I ragged the thing everywhere for 220,000 miles by the time its lease was up - a brilliant workhorse. I'm interested to know how you get on with the 1.8(?) pez engine. Nice colour, too. Please keep it from the bridge - I cannot remember the last time I saw one, and that is a huge shame - iirc they were one of Vauxhall's biggest sellers.

1 hour ago, Isaac Hunt said:

Proper dodged a bullet with that there belt.  As far as Close shave go, you'd have people buying the timing belt manufacturers because they were that impressed

My dad thinks the garage tensioned it up incorrectly. Hence it looking the way it does

1 hour ago, chodweaver said:

+1  for Mk3 Astra lurv, especially the estates. I had an L reg one from new with the 1.7TD engine (and natty 'intercooler' badging) that was just epic - always delivered 600 miles or more to a tank, irrespective of how I drove it. And I ragged the thing everywhere for 220,000 miles by the time its lease was up - a brilliant workhorse. I'm interested to know how you get on with the 1.8(?) pez engine. Nice colour, too. Please keep it from the bridge - I cannot remember the last time I saw one, and that is a huge shame - iirc they were one of Vauxhall's biggest sellers.

It's the 1.6 8v engine in this one. I dont think it will be going to the scrapyard as I have spent over double the original outlay. I've not driven it yet but I had the newer shape astra 53 plated one and that drove nicely with the same engine.

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

I’d have a thorough survey underneath before spending anything. If we’re talking fist size holes we’re talking major expense.

My dad has been through it and found 2 bits which will need welding up (mot failure) they are about 4 inches round.

The other bits are not structural but alot bigger. 

If it's the boot corners that are gone, just bodge them so they don't let water in as they're not structural.  My Cav is the same, and I've got pieces of cat piss tarp covering the gaps.  Passed the test OK.  I'm not that fussy so long as the rest of the car is relatively safe and mechanically in good order!

38 minutes ago, RobT said:

If it's the boot corners that are gone, just bodge them so they don't let water in as they're not structural.  My Cav is the same, and I've got pieces of cat piss tarp covering the gaps.  Passed the test OK.  I'm not that fussy so long as the rest of the car is relatively safe and mechanically in good order!

Thankyou. Yes the boot corners have gone. The near side inner arch is the big hole with the tyre in view. And both sill ends.

My dad says the skills are the things that need welding the rest is not an mot issue.

Thanks again Thomas

3 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I can’t be right sure from looking at the pictures but I’d say it would’ve a fail as the hole in the arch is in a prescribed area within 30cm of a suspension mount. 

Oh right bugger. Thing is that's just a quick push with fingers made it like that. 

If you imagine a sphere of 30cm from the perimeter of a suspension or seatbelt mount that’ll give you a good idea of if it’s a fail. Like I say I’m just going on the pictures. 

If its 4 inch now though could be more like 8 once you’ve chased it back to solid metal. I’d try and get it on a ramp and be able to properly check the underside before spending anything on it. Likely candidates for rot will be the spring mounts, get something like a blunt old chisel and poke up into the centres. If these have gone I’d have a rethink. 

Glad to see it getting some TLC! I know the ethos of the site differs from this but If it’s purely a case of £150 worth of budget transport to you and nothing more, why not run it as is (plus the belt swap) and weigh it in come January 2020? On one level That’s the beauty of a £150 car after all.