smellypoo

'98 Megane Mk1 1.6 RXE - 33k miles - 12 Months MOT! louiepj = WINNER!

For the first time ever, I'm the (temporary) custodian of some true french chod - although some might argue it's a bit modern for this parish...

Behold, France's answer to the MK5 Ford Escrote 1.6 Ghia - the MK1 Renault Megane 1.6 RXE! (someone is going to tell me I'm wrong, but I don't really mind!)

IMG_20190502_200935689.thumb.jpg.3c4a9daf8a7e40fb56c6c3fe5b0f3e4a.jpg

I have had a snoop around and can't see any bodywork rust, not had a look underneath but it seems solid enough. Overall, it's in pretty good nick - well, it should be...

IMG_20190502_201226056.thumb.jpg.f3e6b5777b291881a0ccf036e2b2435d.jpg

It's incredibly low. Mostly because in recent years, it has lived pretty much stationary but ready-for-action on a street in Wimbledon, being used for the odd trip to Bristol and other car-worthy journeys. 

So my mate Phil has owned this since new (I'll need to confirm again whether he bought it new or nearly new, as it has 3 registered keepers on the v5, one of those was his mum when it went to live in Bristol for a year, and another was himself before his mum - leaving one other...) but anyway, he's had it over 20 years, which is a long time with just one car. It's been his only car, that mileage is genuine!

Phil_Screenshot_20190502-220246.thumb.png.62f50861435a800c08ef070d26df62dd.png

I missed a trick, I should have asked him to do a 'Woollard' shot!

The engine sounds pretty sweet, the car drives pretty well. It's also pretty well specced, being an RXE - it has alloy wheels, velour (with probably one of the nicest patterns I've seen on 90's car upholstery) a radio cassette with a 6 disc changer in the boot (proper '90's!), air conditioning (which blows cool, a regas may make it blow cold), electric windows (drivers side doesn't work and the glass is propped up by some wood strategically installed in the door) and an electric sunroof (which I was told doesn't work, but when I tested it the tilt and slide works and it seems to open and close just fine!). All the main electrics for lights and wipers work fine (had to check, because French!).

It's a bit whiffy, it's had some moisture trapped in there so I'm going to give it a bit of a clean up on the outside (it's covered in tree sap, the lacquer appears to be good) and an airing of the interior at the weekend, if it turns out dry and sunny.

Have some more pics...

IMG_20190502_200958139.thumb.jpg.ee095580650083ac1d5cace04af6231f.jpgIMG_20190502_200948860.thumb.jpg.6e6f53ad5d2807aa09bab1cfbbb196e8.jpgIMG_20190502_201007332.thumb.jpg.5e6018c255f673d12d5d413a04d5f8c7.jpgIMG_20190502_201017921.thumb.jpg.bb5748f3337c8eef61199a01e943e572.jpgIMG_20190502_201056262.thumb.jpg.98e7a3d1802d087f1bcec32dfaa270a4.jpgIMG_20190502_201217308.thumb.jpg.411c6a935af50dc029fc02fa9f224a1d.jpgIMG_20190502_204023634.thumb.jpg.dc4046d1708c1afcb683a5eecdbf7cf0.jpgIMG_20190502_204158394.thumb.jpg.1a42301b4066c112975ebc91ab997455.jpg

The last 2 pics probably give the game away a bit - and explain why I'm the temporary custodian! Phil doesn't want a car anymore - he lives in Wimbledon, so has to pay for a parking permit. He also can't drive it into Central London anymore without paying a ULEZ charge. He pays RFL and Insurance on a car he barely uses, so while he's a bit emotionally attached to it, it has to go. So I've offered to roffle it for him on here, as it deserves to be given a new lease of life - it's mechanically sound, the only problems I'm aware of are with the drivers window (wedged shut) and the sunroof (which does actually appear to work!). Remote central locking works. You can see a slight difference in shade on the drivers front wing, because it had a minor bump many years ago and this was replaced. The colour march is pretty good though. 

MOT exipires on the 18th May 2019. It's done 108 miles since the last MOT, so I think it'll pass! It'll be taxed to get you home. Obviously I can't guarantee it will pass, but I truly believe that it shouldn't have a reason to fail having only done 108 miles since the last one! 

++UPDATE 10/05/2019++ MOT PASSED! Advisories on the front 2 tyres, wearing on the inner edge. That's it! MOT Expires 18/05/2020

If you want more pics, like engine bay, interior, boot etc - just ask!

Car is currently staying with me in Epsom, Surrey.

++UPDATE 08/05/2019++ PRICE DROP! Now £4 a ticket! Or £250 outright. Ideally it needs to be gone by end of day Wednesday 15th May as I need to travel for work.

I'll add people in the order I get their requests, if two or more people ask for the same number before I update the list, I'll keep a random aside for you (if available) until you confirm if you want it or not. Roffle is on...!

1   stephen01 --- Paid
2   louiepj  --- Paid
3   davehedgehog31 --- Paid
4   Split_Pin --- Paid
5   Cavcraft --- Paid
6   bramz7 --- Paid    
7   brownnova --- Paid
8   RobT --- Paid
9   TheDoctor --- Paid
10  mitsisigma01 --- Paid  
11  loserone --- Paid
12  brownnova --- Paid
13  Aston Martin --- Paid
14  davehedgehog31 --- Paid
15  mitsisigma01 --- Paid
16  Prepace --- Paid
17  SRi05 --- Paid
18  Cavcraft --- Paid
19  ruffgeezer --- Paid
20  clayts450 --- Paid
21  Maurice Marina --- Paid 
22  clayts450 --- Paid
23  davehedgehog31 --- Paid
24  louiepj --- Paid
25  bramz7 --- Paid    
26  davehedgehog31 --- Paid
27  mitsisigma01 --- Paid
28  gadgetgricey --- Paid
29  RobT --- Paid
30  jumpingjehovahs --- Paid
31  Danterzza --- Paid
32  Cavcraft --- Paid
33  davehedgehog31 --- Paid
34  brownnova --- Paid
35  RobT --- Paid
36  SRi05 --- Paid
37  davehedgehog31 --- Paid   
38  brownnova --- Paid
39  louiepj --- Paid
40  Split_Pin --- Paid
41  Iamgroot --- Paid
42  Aston Martin --- Paid
43  Cavcraft --- Paid
44  RobT --- Paid
45  TheDoctor --- Paid
46  Prepace --- Paid
47  gadgetgricey --- Paid
48  clayts450 --- Paid
49  stephen01 --- Paid
50  Aston Martin --- Paid
51  davehedgehog31 --- Paid 
52  Danterzza --- Paid
53  clayts450 --- Paid
54  Iamgroot --- Paid
55  Maurice Marina --- Paid
56  TheDoctor --- Paid
57  jumpingjehovahs --- Paid
58  Ohdearme --- Paid
59  barrett --- Paying on Tuesday

14 minutes ago, loserone said:

I bet that's a pretty decent place to be.

I'll have a random please!

Cool, thanks L1!  - I'll see if there is more interest before I send out the numbers sheet, but I think it's a pretty neat car!  It certainly deserves to be used! I'm hoping not to have to MOT it, just because I'm lazy - but if people insist, I'll get it done! :)

36 minutes ago, smellypoo said:

MOT exipires on the 18th May 2019. It's done 108 miles since the last MOT, so I think it'll pass! It'll be taxed to get you home. If there is enough interest, I might even put it through a new MOT, our local Mr Clutch do one for £27. If you want more pics, like engine bay, interior, boot etc - just ask!

Car is currently staying with me in Epsom, Surrey.

What do you reckon would be a fair price? I was thinking £6 a ticket, which works out to around £350... Is that realistic or too high/low?

Quoted this just because I'm changing the original post, to put in the roffle form, to set the tickets at £6 each, and to say I'll put it through an MOT if it sells out by 10pm Sunday 05/05/2019. Obviously I can't guarantee it will pass, but I truly believe that it shouldn't have a reason to fail having only done 108 miles since the last one!

25 minutes ago, loserone said:

I think unless it sells out pretty quickly, it will need one to be appealing.

God alone knows what I'd do with it

You've convinced me. Post updated, you have no. 11 :)

Good job I'm on the wrong side on the world, I have a soft spot for these cars. The new owner will be able to enjoy* Renault's infra red central locking (it needs starting within 30 seconds of being unlocked via the plip fob). Also if it has any running issues the idle air valve will want cleaning or coil packs replacing. 

These also wade rather well ...

3 hours ago, Landy Mann said:

Good job I'm on the wrong side on the world, I have a soft spot for these cars. The new owner will be able to enjoy* Renault's infra red central locking (it needs starting within 30 seconds of being unlocked via the plip fob). Also if it has any running issues the idle air valve will want cleaning or coil packs replacing. 

These also wade rather well ...

Good tip re: the 30 seconds thing, I didn't know that! It runs really well so I don't think there are any issues - may do a video of it running if I get a moment at the weekend, not sure if I have the face for a hubnut-style video review! 

It's a bit unusual to hear about the wading capabilities of a family hatchback! Out of curiosity, how do you know? :)

Quick update, checked it over a bit more having arrived home from work;

Being a French car its probably best to check if the key electrical functions work. Lights and wipers are all good! No disco lights at the back, it all seems fine.

Air-con blows cool rather than cold. A re-gas should help (yes, yes I know - but I do really think it’s ok). I tried the electric windows at the front, passenger one is fine, drivers one you can hear the motor whizzing when you push the button - it might have just been the regulator that broke, but I can’t guarantee that and I’m not taking the door card off. Phil said the garage put some wood in there to hold the glass up as a cheap and quick fix, so this might well be something that can be resolved cheaply by diy.

I had a quick look underneath, sills are all in good shape. The boot floor is clean, this car appears to be in good shape! It does need a good clean though.

10 hours ago, castros_bro said:

If only I wasn't in Surrey and needed a newer Megane I'd wave a wad of cash.

image.thumb.png.87d077990c6c5ce6dc6f71445e518299.png

I applaud your choice of conveyance, yours is more base than this one but because of that it is pretty representative of the Mégane MK1 of the period - these things used to be everywhere! 

Working sunroof too, nice!

Can confirm these are incredibly good on fuel and very pleasant to drive.