Sign in to follow this  
lesapandre

Welcome Back - best car chases with new music

Welcome back. Site works just dandy on my  Samsung phone. Fab Parker.

In celebration I am posting this adapted car chase from the film McQ - 1974 with John Wayne directed by John Sturges. It's clipped from the film - if you have not seen it watch it right through to the finale - its only a few minutes. The music is added later. What shines in the cinematography - epic storytelling (basically some parking wardens want to give JW a parking ticket - he is having none of it...*) Turn your sound up.

This time it's a slightly eerie 1940's LA - like an Edward Hopper painting come to life. The band is the American group the Still Corners. Having thought about what this is - I am guessing this was shot to be used as back-projection for a film driving scene - it is on colour stock not bw colourised as far as I can see. 

I was hoping for a Primal Scream - Kowalski/Vanishing Point mashup but instead I found this which has a different vibe altogether. If I had more skills and time I'd make one but I am badly lacking in both departments. 

Everyone should watch Vanishing Point BTW!

Nothing too obscure here, but it's no secret I've been hooked on Claude Lelouch's 'C'Était Un Rendez-Vous'  ever since a friend stuck a terrible quality VHS dub in the tape machine late one night after a few drinks... some audacious early-morning driving through central Paris on an August morning in 1976, and apparently with no closed roads or any official sanction - total cinéma verité.

Snow Patrol then used the end part of the footage as the video for their single 'Open Your Eyes' in 2007, which kinda works.

If you haven't seen it, the original short film's still pretty mind-blowing though. All 6.9 litres of Mercedes Benz 450 SEL hammering through the awakening city at full chat, overdubbed with the engine noise from a Ferrari 275GTB.

Both cars were owned and driven by the director himself; the first take in the Ferrari was supposedly faster, but unusable due to the vibration through the camera mount. The Merc's supple hydropneumatic suspension (licenced from Citroen, of course) proved more suitable as a camera car on the harsh Parisian streets...

I can't condone the risks taken (you'll note there are more than a few hairy moments with other drivers and pedestrians), but it's eight minutes of Frogchod heaven nonetheless...

On 5/2/2019 at 11:12 AM, lesapandre said:

Welcome back. Site works just dandy on my  Samsung phone. Fab Parker.

In celebration I am posting this adapted car chase from the film McQ - 1974 with John Wayne directed by John Sturges. It's clipped from the film - if you have not seen it watch it right through to the finale - its only a few minutes. The music is added later. What shines in the cinematography - epic storytelling (basically some parking wardens want to give JW a parking ticket - he is having none of it...*) Turn your sound up.

Immediately purchased. Surely with drones, steady cams etc, this sort of cinematography should be easily achievable these days, without resorting to CGI? 

11 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Nothing too obscure here, but it's no secret I've been hooked on Claude Lelouch's 'C'Était Un Rendez-Vous'  ever since a friend stuck a terrible quality VHS dub in the tape machine late one night after a few drinks... some audacious early-morning driving through central Paris on an August morning in 1976, and apparently with no closed roads or any official sanction - total cinéma verité.

Snow Patrol then used the end part of the footage as the video for their single 'Open Your Eyes' in 2007, which kinda works.

If you haven't seen it, the original short film's still pretty mind-blowing though. All 6.9 litres of Mercedes Benz 450 SEL hammering through the awakening city at full chat, overdubbed with the engine noise from a Ferrari 275GTB.

Both cars were owned and driven by the director himself; the first take in the Ferrari was supposedly faster, but unusable due to the vibration through the camera mount. The Merc's supple hydropneumatic suspension (licenced from Citroen, of course) proved more suitable as a camera car on the harsh Parisian streets...

I can't condone the risks taken (you'll note there are more than a few hairy moments with other drivers and pedestrians), but it's eight minutes of Frogchod heaven nonetheless...

Wow. The speed he takes some of those red lights is astounding. He'd be rightly vilified doing that today, but [double standards] in the seventies, through Paris, in a 450sel, it's painfully cool (without the wet Snowpatrol soundtrack obviously). How he managed to marry up the Ferrari soundtrack with the Merc footage without electronical editing is equally amazing.

Another gem. The list of films is in the YouTube comments. The last 30 seconds of the hairy dude in the 911 is great - nothing like driving a sports car at full chat - the up-changes on the gearbox are poetry. So few places you can do that. Cool dog features briefly.