BMW 320 coupe

DoctorRetro

Home! Quick tally. 

Hours on the road: 22

Miles covered :1100

Fuel economy on return leg: 38mpg. (60 litres to 500 miles, feel free to check my maths) 

Autoshite legends encountered: 2

Big thanks to Saabnut and Supernaut for facilitating this. And especially to Saabnut for putting up with me talking for 10 hours non stop... 

Time I need to be at work: 7am Oh sh.... 

Goodnight. 

I do like an E36. I would really try one before they're all drifted to oblivion. Had an E30 318Touring in the past but it was a POS. 

Late 4 door iS probably my preferred spec. Couldn't GAF about 6 cylinders.

My G/F's old man has an e34 520i that's clean as a whistle other than some wear to the driver's seat bolster.  They spent nearly a thousand pound on a full set of Dunlop metrics for it a year or so ago. If I had know I would have found them some different wheels and saved them £500....

Check the obvious first, are there any loose plastic panels, loose brackets, old sockets dropped down onto the engine etc? MY BMW sounded like hell when I revved it at idle, it was the engine cover bouncing around.

Then if you're convinced it's internal rather than external, a long breaker bar between ear and suspect parts of the engine will help you pinpoint it.

2 hours ago, The Reverend Bluejeans said:

Vanos unit is fucked. Good used one £40 and a Man with special tools to fit it. 

Meh. The 40 quid I can cope with, but I'm not used to paying people to do stuff to my cars if I can help it. 

Surely a semi-qualified monkey like me can figure it out? 

As a side point, car runs and idles fine, so is it a big worry? 

In theory no. Whilst possible, a malfunctioning vanos unit shouldn't cause engine damage. But it doesn't work right. So the engine isn't working right, so it's got to be worth doing. I'm sure the rev will put me right but there's not much that goes wrong with these so for that sort of money it's got to be worth getting it sorted