Slartibartfast

Upgrade complete - thanks for your patience

I think I've worked out what the problem is.  It's too much change at once, that I haven't initiated, and therefore I'm failing to cope with it.  My entire life stands as precedent for this viewpoint.

I'm on computer, I don't do phone-based internet.

A forum catering to luddites gets upgraded and the members aren't happy. Quelle surprise.

Unfortunately in technology circles updates are a necessity if things are to remain secure. And no you can't just put a Disklok on it and hope the baddy nicks your neighbour's car instead.... because the baddy is nicking anything and everything he can, without even knowing what he's nicked until days/weeks/months later.

The old version of the forum was outdated, insecure, and most likely a pain in the hoop for the team to maintain. If its a weigh up between the forum being 1) supported by the vendor 2) more secure 3) less painful for the team to maintain vs 1) "omg my eyes cant cope i'm going blind" 2) I remember when this place used to be more beige 3) waaa waaa waaa its not compatible with my steam powered acorn electron - then frankly some have absolutely zero appreciation for what it takes to keep this place going with excellent stability, without being done over by those elusive "chinese hackers" (remember them every time the cup runneth dry?) and without it being down for weeks on end after yet another fucked up daveb47 upgrade/rollback/cashback saga.

This place sometimes, christ.

I think I've worked out what the problem is.  It's too much change at once, that I haven't initiated, and therefore I'm failing to cope with it.  My entire life stands as precedent for this viewpoint.
I'm on computer, I don't do phone-based internet.
So rather than lose you what can we do go help?

What do you miss?

5 hours ago, Pillock said:

I'm actively looking into the image issue.

The tiny images seem to only be an issue on threads created on the old forum though, correct? If an image was uploaded to the forum post-upgrade is it big for everyone or is that just me? (fnar)

Yep thats how it is, post update images are fine, its just the pre update ones that have tiny thumbnails

I think its a thumb nail image issue, because if I take one of the tiny images and open it to the big version then copy that URL into a new post so it embeds the image automatically then the image is full sized, despite being uploaded from before the software update

On 5/12/2019 at 3:01 AM, snagglepuss said:

So rather than lose you what can we do go help?

What do you miss?

You won't lose me, it's not that easy!  I just won't be here as much.

What do I miss?  Being able to see at a glance which threads have been updated since I was here last, without having to look at the time of the last posting and work out if it was before or after my last visit.  That's just For Example.  I don't think I've used the forum enough yet to pick out much else.

Don't mind me, I'm just a grumpy old fart who can't keep up.

3 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

What do I miss?  Being able to see at a glance which threads have been updated since I was here last, without having to look at the time of the last posting and work out if it was before or after my last visit.  That's just For Example.  I don't think I've used the forum enough yet to pick out much else.

I think the updated topic thing is the top of the list to sort now.

I have fixed it so you can easily see the indicators next to the topics. I know it's not as in-yer-face as it used to be which is why we're still looking into it

Screenshot 2019-05-12 at 11.09.35 - Edited.png

Dark star is "a topic you've participated in, that has new replies since your last visit "
Light star is "a topic you've participated in, with no new replies"
Circle is "new replies since you've last visited, but you've not participated"
Blank is "not participated, no new replies"

I blame Daveb47.

Again.

We’ve made a huge leap forward all at once here, rather than just rolling out updates for the last few years - as and when. They’ve been resisted because of the shitstorm last time, and so we’ve jumped from steam power to hydrogen without anything in the middle. 

I’ve not experienced any issues now for over a week, and have now got the hang of everything. No errors appearing at all. Thanks guys. 

I don't blame Daveb47.

He trialled a parallel upgrade and the Luddites smashed the loom.

5 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

and so we’ve jumped from steam power to hydrogen without anything in the middle. 

Which isn't the best way to do things as TSB found out (and they should have learned that from British Airways and the Terminal 5 at Thiefrow fiasco)

Too many people are finding the site very difficult to view, and there are still several things very broken behind the scenes, especially when it comes to the repeated bad gateway error which is at the server end, it simply is not responding properly, sounds like a shite host to me, with very outdated hardware.  The change themes link is deader than Nigel Farage's brain, and so is the search content function when you click on the profile. I think the site needs taking down again as a matter of urgency and the faults repaired, because this new look is far from friendly to use, and may indeed breach disability guidelines, and trust ,e I will be checking that out. For people with slight vision impairment, this site is nigh on bloody impossible to use, and I messaged mods via the 'contact us' almost a week ago, but zero response, I am sorry, but that does not bode well for the site, too many have the same issues as me, and we post a fair bit of content between us, and the more good content we lose, the site suffers more. I've noticed lotrs of once familiar names no longer posting, or wrongly forced out. Sorry, but the mods are failing badly, and how long before this site loses it's secure status? I would wager less than 6 months. It isn't worth posting on here, the mobile version is even less user friendly, and shocking. I suspect this new version is not compatible with the Chrome browser, or Android operating system, and both my6 PC and mobile are updated regularly. 

4 hours ago, Felly Magic said:

Too many people are finding the site very difficult to view, and there are still several things very broken behind the scenes, especially when it comes to the repeated bad gateway error which is at the server end, it simply is not responding properly, sounds like a shite host to me, with very outdated hardware.  The change themes link is deader than Nigel Farage's brain, and so is the search content function when you click on the profile. I think the site needs taking down again as a matter of urgency and the faults repaired, because this new look is far from friendly to use, and may indeed breach disability guidelines, and trust ,e I will be checking that out. For people with slight vision impairment, this site is nigh on bloody impossible to use, and I messaged mods via the 'contact us' almost a week ago, but zero response, I am sorry, but that does not bode well for the site, too many have the same issues as me, and we post a fair bit of content between us, and the more good content we lose, the site suffers more. I've noticed lotrs of once familiar names no longer posting, or wrongly forced out. Sorry, but the mods are failing badly, and how long before this site loses it's secure status? I would wager less than 6 months. It isn't worth posting on here, the mobile version is even less user friendly, and shocking. I suspect this new version is not compatible with the Chrome browser, or Android operating system, and both my6 PC and mobile are updated regularly. 

For the sake of everyone, can I just get a few things clarified? That way there can be no confusion.

You suspect that this forum, and therefore no other forum powered by Invision, doesn’t work on planet earth’s most popular mobile operating system (88%) or the most popular web browser (62%). 

You are concerned fewer people are posting at the moment, but also advocate taking the website down. 

You suggest Autoshite might be in breach of disability guidelines; making them responsible for the generic Invision Theme freely available to all users of all forums hosted by them. 

I would appreciate confirmation of the above (!)

My only criticism is related to my own muppetry.  If you select a photo, and want to go back to the page, and click to go back you leave the page you were on.  You should click the X in the corner.

In my case that is to the unread posts page. And because the post you were looking at has been read. There is no direct link back to it. 

Having done this more than once, you'd think I'd learn. 

Also in the old forum, it was new posts. And now it's unread posts.  But I actually have no issues where I would complain bitterly. Cause it's great. Beige could be less pink and more brown ? 

Using Tapatalk I get this once I have read a few of the unread posts

41a0c191bc43247277c2164a0c8039d7.jpg

Then it just says loading for ages and doesn't load. I have cleared the cache and the data which resets it for a bit.

Is this a forum thing as doesn't do it on other Tapatalk forums.

12 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

For the sake of everyone, can I just get a few things clarified? That way there can be no confusion.

You suspect that this forum, and therefore no other forum powered by Invision, doesn’t work on planet earth’s most popular mobile operating system (88%) or the most popular web browser (62%). 

You are concerned fewer people are posting at the moment, but also advocate taking the website down. 

You suggest Autoshite might be in breach of disability guidelines; making them responsible for the generic Invision Theme freely available to all users of all forums hosted by them. 

I would appreciate confirmation of the above (!)

Don't forget we're also running on a shite host with very outdated hardware, on the basis that we're seeing bad gateway errors. Laughable.

Presumably they're being thrown by Cloudflare, not the origin server - I wouldn't know though, I've not seen the errors.

Also don't forget the site will lose its secure status within 6 months, whatever that means. Presumably because the Cloudflare SSL expires in October, so presumably EVERYONE involved will forget to renew this?

10 hours ago, snagglepuss said:

Then it just says loading for ages and doesn't load. I have cleared the cache and the data which resets it for a bit.

Is this a forum thing as doesn't do it on other Tapatalk forums.

Hmmm, that is odd. I kinda want to say it's a Tapatalk thing, maybe it's the TT version of the 502 error? I know it just stops loading when it loses connectivity so perhaps test it on mobile network and wifi, different wifi, stick your arm in the air whilst you do it etc.

I'll reinstall TT and give it a blast later, see what happens.

It works fine on all the platforms I use.  It looks fine.  

It was unsecure to the point of irresponsibility and illegality under new(-ish) legislation before, and now it isn’t.

There’s a choice of viewing options for people with visual impairments, plus it’s compatible with browser tools for enlarging text etc.

The old functionality is there but is controlled differently and takes a while to get used to. Just like the old forum did. It’s easy when you know how and the team are willing to help. They have patiently answered the same questions multiple times.

I don’t post or visit here much any more but that’s nothing to do with the forum upgrade, it’s all the whining about the evil mods/admins who are working fucking hard for nothing to make this happen.

In return they get personal attacks and threats of litigation.  I’m sick of it.

I’m not having a go at everyone who suggests improvements or points out things that need fixing, but several people on here need to have a fucking word with themselves about just how much they are taking others for granted.

41 minutes ago, Skizzer said:

It works fine on all the platforms I use.  It looks fine.  

It was unsecure to the point of irresponsibility and illegality under new(-ish) legislation before, and now it isn’t.

There’s a choice of viewing options for people with visual impairments, plus it’s compatible with browser tools for enlarging text etc.

The old functionality is there but is controlled differently and takes a while to get used to. Just like the old forum did. It’s easy when you know how and the team are willing to help. They have patiently answered the same questions multiple times.

I don’t post or visit here much any more but that’s nothing to do with the forum upgrade, it’s all the whining about the evil mods/admins who are working fucking hard for nothing to make this happen.

In return they get personal attacks and threats of litigation.  I’m sick of it.

I’m not having a go at everyone who suggests improvements or points out things that need fixing, but several people on here need to have a fucking word with themselves about just how much they are taking others for granted.

Why is there no ‘love’ function like on Facebook. 

I’d give this post (and Skiz) some serious lovin’ 

Sorry to be a pooper but I Loved the old site, I just cannot get on with this new one, too bright, too difficult to read, makes my eyes hurt, in both modes. I have the same experience on other modern Forums.. Where has colour in our lives gone ? Why does everything have to be so incredibly monochrome and bright ?? All I can say is I came to this forum at least once a day and spend hours on it but I can only cope with a few minutes a couple of times a week and that's out of loyalty. I don't want to go but it looks like I will have to.. Sorry again..

Started over the last 24 hours to get the 502 gateway error when using Opera on my Macbook. Not tried safari yet on the macbook, but iPhone is fine. I'll fire up my Win7 machine at some point see how that copes.

Can’t access desktop from my phone- I can’t see at a glance who is online which I now realise brings a sense of community to a visit. 

Would it be possible to have a list of members/ users viewing at the bottom on the mobile version? (dare I say like the only other automotive forum I visit)