Slartibartfast

Upgrade complete - thanks for your patience

Just now, Slartibartfast said:

Your mobile browser should have the option in its menu. I use Firefox for Android and it's called "Request desktop site" and it's in the menu that you get by pressing the three dots in the top right of the browser.

I can highly recommend Firefox for Android.

It's definitely not visible on the Xiaomi in-house browser, but will try as you suggest. Phone is quite short of onboard space (and apps can't be placed on the micro-SD card), so not sure if I'll be able to squeeze Firefox in.

UPDATE: think I've cracked it. At the bottom of the Xiomi browser, it has a single drop-down list marked "Theme" showing "Default" and "Autoshite Theme". If I select "Default", it all turns blue and white, but full functionality is restored!! 👍

Guest Lacquer Peel2

Hello, it's Lacquer Peel.

I signed up a long time ago with an email address I don't have access to and can't reset my password. 

Is there any way around it or do I need to set up a new account?

Thx

20 hours ago, Nibblet said:

Still getting constant email notifications from here even though I went to settings and switched everything to the off position. 

Annoyingly, me too!  It's almost certainly a "Pillock can't work the settings" issue than a forum bug though so I'll do some digging and let you know :)

Edit: Right, so I think in my case I'd turned of "Automatically follow content" but I was already following some stuff that was still sending emails.

Click on the notification bell, and then Notification Settings. Under "Method to use" choose either the top or bottom option, i.e. neither of the ones that say Email. Click save. Let me know if that sorts it.....

Am I the only one having trouble with both versions of the font and background colours ? my eyes are struggling badly and it's giving me headaches, sadly I can't really stay on the site for long 😢

Desktop on mobile. 

Screenshot_20190505_155617_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.a0a0fc8fbe13e23f16b1fdf9b2779b92.jpg

Maybe it varies depending on the phone? Although the typeface is a bit smaller so it makes reading it in upright a bit difficult. I've taken to browsing with the phone horizontal which is fine once I'm settled into my chair with a cushion on my lap. 

I'm missing being able to tap on a thread title and be plonked at the next unread post from where I ws more than I thought... 

I've also had the reply box filling up with something I typed and posted when replying to something else, and having to find the clear editor button. I know it's only being helpful but it's a bit annoying

That’s one  thing I’ve found when replying to threads, whether I quote someone else or not, is that any previous reply I’ve made to that topic is present in this reply box and needs to be deleted first. Where is this clear editor button of which you speak?

The only other thing I have to comment so far, is that now there are no country flags ( boo), it’s a little pointless having “location country:” in the user box.

i lied, I see that the thanks tally has gone, and replaced with a green number and +. Can someone help me out with this as I fear I’m missing something obvious.

2 hours ago, jonathan_dyane said:

I hate to complain but as someone who is dyslexic and suffers migraines I find the new fonts available and the colours (both the Autoshite and Default themes) render it almost impossible for me to tolerate the forum.

Sorry.

Click at the bottom of the screen, and select 'Default' rather than 'Autoshite theme, surely? 

Or am I missing something? 

17 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I'm missing being able to tap on a thread title and be plonked at the next unread post from where I ws more than I thought...

Hi, If you click on the brown circle or white star (if you've contributed to the thread) in front of the title it takes you to the first unread post.

Colin

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Presumably the country flags function no longer works, as I'm seeing "broken image" icons for those.

I've been looking into this today, it appears that Country Flags were a paid plugin and with a lot of these things, you also have to pay to upgrade them when you upgrade the core forum sofrware (see also: different coloured tags). It's on the list to fix though.

21 hours ago, jonathan_dyane said:

I hate to complain but as someone who is dyslexic and suffers migraines I find the new fonts available and the colours (both the Autoshite and Default themes) render it almost impossible for me to tolerate the forum.

Sorry.

OK, so we need to look into this. You're probably best placed to tell us what would work better, and whilst we can't promise it will be perfect if we can tweak anything to make life easier for you and other dyslexia sufferers then that sounds like a plan. PM me if it's easier to let me know what's not great.

22 hours ago, richardmorris said:

i lied, I see that the thanks tally has gone, and replaced with a green number and +. Can someone help me out with this as I fear I’m missing something obvious.

Yeah, the core forum software changed that it seems when they went to "reactions" instead of likes. The general idea is that a "thanks" or "like" gets you +1 on your Reputation, whilst Confused and Sad don't add to it. In theory we could make a "bugger off you bastard" emoji and give it a score of -1

Like Beko says, you can click on it for a breakdown... it's hard to read right now so I'll add it to the list of theme oddites as it's brown on dark grey currently.