Slartibartfast

Upgrade complete - thanks for your patience

11 minutes ago, Crusty Sills said:

In the next round of upgrades is there a possibility of changing the colour of the  Roffle, Project and other tags? 

Being simple and from Norfolk, them being all in red confooses me. 

I'm sure it's on the list and it is of no real hurry. 

A quick glance suggests the tags all have the same CSS class so I'm not sure how I'd do it. I'll look into it though!

1 hour ago, Felly Magic said:

Having random blindness these days, the new look is actually harder for me to read, the old style had better contrast

I'm struggling too,

You can go black and white by clicking theme at bottom of  page, and default IIRC, but you lose the beige.

Bizxarrely if I try to reply to a topic Im involved in, say shite in miniature on my phone, it automatically puts my past post in, I think there may be a few issues along the line, like with EVERY form of IT update ever. 

4 minutes ago, Felly Magic said:

Oh and error code 502 BAD GATEWAY has popped up several times, and processing replies can be laggy, something clearly needs a Dragon 32 computer hammering over it

Speaking of Dragon, I just finished watching a restoration of one. I blame the Dragon myself.

nice update, thanks

historic posts for me all images appear in 100 pixel thumbnails. click on each to blow up to size originally posted. but spoils the reading flow.

what do I need to do to blow up thumbnails while I am reading through or is this a feature?

Cheers

Richard

10 hours ago, Nibblet said:

Using Andoid on phone- I can't see a login button at the bottom or anywhere else on the page. I've had to login by being prompted by attempting to post.

Tapping the top right hand part of the brown banner activates profile options, settings can be altered there.

I had to select 'switch to desktop site' to be able to log in on my mobile, as always, updates aren't always better. The4 contrast between the shades of beige urgently needs tweaking, this new look has made the forum very hard to read, and I know I won't be the only one thinking this, also the server is taking an absolute age to respond when opening on my computer, when all other sites open near instantly, summat aint right somewhere, let me get a hammer and screwdriver to give the server a polite slight adjustment

6 minutes ago, Felly Magic said:

I had to select 'switch to desktop site' to be able to log in on my mobile, as always, updates aren't always better. The4 contrast between the shades of beige urgently needs tweaking, this new look has made the forum very hard to read, and I know I won't be the only one thinking this, also the server is taking an absolute age to respond when opening on my computer, when all other sites open near instantly, summat aint right somewhere, let me get a hammer and screwdriver to give the server a polite slight adjustment

Go down the bottom and click 'theme' then 'default', sorts the colours if you don't like 

Dan, you are missing the point entirely, there is something quite seriously wrong somewhere, posting attachments is now taking an absolute eon, as the servers keep hanging, and bringing up Error 502, which is a server communication error, and unless people speak up, these faults won't be fixed. It could even be that the servers themselves are corrupted, and the site host is running it on a shoestring to maximise profits. It does happen, and if it is with the same company as previous, with the glaring security issue it had for over 6 months, I personally would not trust them, especially with all the serious data breaches going on

Previously it was a doddle to go through new posts, but now it simply is not, and using on an android device is seriously awkward, and buggy. The login button is completely missing for instance, that is a very big oversight on someone's part. This update has made the site far from user friendly, and I have noticed we are losing way too many regular posters who provided some pretty decent content. To be honest, this update is going to cause many more to leave, and the forum is only as good as it's content/ I am seriously thinking of sacking off this site now, because it simply is now a pain in the arse to use

4 hours ago, Felly Magic said:

Dan, you are missing the point entirely, there is something quite seriously wrong somewhere, posting attachments is now taking an absolute eon, as the servers keep hanging, and bringing up Error 502, which is a server communication error, and unless people speak up, these faults won't be fixed. It could even be that the servers themselves are corrupted, and the site host is running it on a shoestring to maximise profits. It does happen, and if it is with the same company as previous, with the glaring security issue it had for over 6 months, I personally would not trust them, especially with all the serious data breaches going on

Previously it was a doddle to go through new posts, but now it simply is not, and using on an android device is seriously awkward, and buggy. The login button is completely missing for instance, that is a very big oversight on someone's part. This update has made the site far from user friendly, and I have noticed we are losing way too many regular posters who provided some pretty decent content. To be honest, this update is going to cause many more to leave, and the forum is only as good as it's content/ I am seriously thinking of sacking off this site now, because it simply is now a pain in the arse to use

Conversely,  you using a much larger font for your post made it much, much harder for me to read.  LIKE WHEN PEOPLE TYPE ADVERTS IN CAPITAL LETTERS ON EBAY THINKING IT'LL STAND OUT BUT IT ACTUALLY MAKES IT HARDER TO READ BECAUSE PEOPLE READ THE SHAPES OF LETTERS. (This is why motorway signs aren't CAPITALS)!

I think it's just a small amount of tinkering that needs to happen here, it's not a full "Root and Branch Football Association Inquiry".  

Come on, man.  I know it's mildly frustrating - but that's the full and complete extent of it.  I, personally, haven't found it taking longer to upload attachments and have had no issues at all on iOS or Chome via Windows 10 where I am right now.  

I'd like to extend my thanks to CdC and the rest of the team for their efforts this week.  I imagine they're all sat at home saying "Yep - here's the backlash we bet our life savings on happening." !

Think of it like getting your project car back on the road.

It's running and driving, but still needs some small tweaks and some paint touch-ups.

The forum is useable, and that's the main thing. The small adjustments will come in time.

I am also on the 'more contrast between the shades of beige please' bandwagon though.

7 hours ago, Felly Magic said:

The hosting company are not running it on a shoestring to maximise profits. Stanky personally knows the company that hosts our server (he used to work there) and has actually been there and seen it in situ. Also we don't use a cheapo shared hosting machine, I have console login to it and am fully aware of what it is and how it's running. Security is also not their responsibility, it's mine. Well, apart from physical security, they handle that. Otherwise it's all me. It is not the same company as previous, and those security issues were all oversights by the previous site admin. Same goes for performance. I'm responsible for how well or badly the server performs.

The new forum software has had quite a few improvements and has changed an awful lot of things. I've had to update software libraries on the server to support it, and it uses a whole new caching system (Redis) which is working well but will need some tuning. I think it's that part that's responsible for the 502 errors, but I can't yet be sure. Rest assured, I'm working on it.

After all the work I went though to update the site I will not be rolling it back. Sorry, but the old version was so out of date that it was no longer getting security updates and I was unable to log any bug reports about it as Invision refused to support it any more. We'll get all the various little and big niggles sorted in time.

Have noticed a small problem in that I can sign in and view the Forum on my Android mobile phone but, since the upgrade, I'm no longer able to post material or replies to threads, or upload photos. Might be that my phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 4G) is now incompatible.

No such problems are experienced when going via my desktop PC.

Just logged in for the 1st time, since the site upgrade...my old password worked alright, so no problems there.

Not everyone likes change, they feel compfy sitting (or shittin)  in there old worn out armchair!!!

But hey, time for a sparkly new "Parker Knoll".................once youve spilt your beer/fastfood on your new armchair a few times, it will soon get as compfy as your old piss stained armchair, that you just chucked out!

Now wheres that feckin preview post/icon option FFS?!

9 hours ago, Felly Magic said:

I had to select 'switch to desktop site' to be able to log in on my mobile, as always, updates aren't always better. ....

I don't even have that option showing anymore on my Xiaomi Android phone, which now displays the Forum in the same format as on my PC, but with the ability to post / reply / add photos apparently disabled.....

18 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I don't even have that option showing anymore on my Xiaomi Android phone, which now displays the Forum in the same format as on my PC, but with the ability to post / reply / add photos apparently disabled.....

Your mobile browser should have the option in its menu. I use Firefox for Android and it's called "Request desktop site" and it's in the menu that you get by pressing the three dots in the top right of the browser.

I can highly recommend Firefox for Android.