Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

2 minutes ago, Jim Bell said:

Yeah. Even if you click on a member there doesn't seem to be an option to PM?

If you click on the profile there are three brown buttons underneath the profile name. Middle one is for PMs. No icons on them though... 

Left is for follow user, right is to view their content. 

I suspect if your password didn’t meet the new pssssord rules you need to reset your password .

This may well cause less tech savy user issues , anyway for someone to look at that ?

weve just lost a loss of users to the other site we don’t want to lose anymore !

17 minutes ago, skattrd said:

I've just clicked in top right corner of mobile page and there are buttons there, they're just not visible, maybe the same colour as the background? 

I've just found that. At least I know where log in and out page is now. 

Can I have the "my content" bit back please? Usually the 1st thing I look at - otherwise I have to go into my profile and look and click on Forums and then Topics. Used to be a drop-down from my username at the top of the page.

Other than that, ?

1 hour ago, loserone said:

That seems like a likely cause, Cort.  

Password complexity rules are proven to be bollocks now, if it's an easy change I'd suggest removing them.

I had to do a password reset, but it let me reset to my old password - it told me it was "very weak" but let me use it nonetheless.

31 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I had to do a password reset, but it let me reset to my old password - it told me it was "very weak" but let me use it nonetheless.

It should have said that your password is equivalent to a Lancia Y10's starter motor...

2 hours ago, skattrd said:

I've just clicked in top right corner of mobile page and there are buttons there, they're just not visible, maybe the same colour as the background? 

Thanks, I couldn't work out how to login on the mobile page for ages! Yep, buttons are not visible.

Edit* They are visible in the default blue theme though.

2 hours ago, skattrd said:

Nice one. Didn't think to just randomly try clicking. Now logged in on all of the devices. As you say, invisible buttons!

It was like going to bed and waking up inside a pink blancmange .,  where colour, definition and contrast was more like a four year old's cartoon book than metal car / bus / tractor enthusiasts website where authoritative expertise and experiences are shared, as much as good humour.

Thankfully at the bottom of the window is a button ' Theme' and I could change to 'default'.   Aah at last.,  I can at least read the page  in grey, blues clearly defined against a white(ish) background.   

Next, I looked for the topics I was  following and participating in,  Oh sod, there's no date order to them and the filter doesn't help.  Perhaps in time the still active themes will come to the top. 

It is so very true I am an old giffer  ..but still  I do  understand the need for updates from one server to another, and/or from one package of computer software to the next generation ..but really I don't see why Microsoft nerds, or Windows' computer jockeys, or even an Autoshite Administrator  should keep changing what works well,  is familiar and comfortable.  Please be assured : Your tastes are not mine.   Please stop imposing them on me.   Let me explain :  I'm on Autoshite because I greatly prize and appreciate the fundamentals of basic cars and other vehicles.  I have never wanted a brand new auto-blob - which has moulded plastic wrapping around and over the car and throughout the engine bay,  nor soul-less grey plastic padding throughout the interior.   Please don't tell me that pink blancmange is the new beige -  It is not, it is kiddies poo. !

And please don't tell me that arial font or any other sans-serif font is easy to read for someone who is dyslexic.  I assure you - It Is NOT.   In case you are not aware - we read largely by the shape of a word  ie.,  Shape of a word   and that is for the most part is lost with the economy of sans-serif.  With tired eyes I simply cannot see in arial if the letter i when wlthin a word is an l.   .. so please give me the option to write in Times New Roman or similar.  

And who again says I want automatic  'spacing between lines'.   Surely I am old enough to decide for myself.?   

Sorry,  but this website's new 'style' just looks like someone's ego trying to be noticed.   ...Oh pretty please - say how clever I am !  

Poo !

p.s.  Aside from That :  Great job guys on keeping Autoshite up n' running - Big Thanks. 

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Can I have the "my content" bit back please? Usually the 1st thing I look at - otherwise I have to go into my profile and look and click on Forums and then Topics. Used to be a drop-down from my username at the top of the page.

Other than that, ?

Seconded on this one.

14 minutes ago, Bfg said:

It was like going to bed and waking up inside a pink blancmange .,  where colour, definition and contrast was more like a four year old's cartoon book than metal car / bus / tractor enthusiasts website where authoritative expertise and experiences are shared, as much as good humour.

Thankfully at the bottom of the window is a button ' Theme' and I could change to 'default'.   Aah at last.,  I can at least read the page  in grey, blues clearly defined against a white(ish) background.   

Next, I looked for the topics I was  following and participating in,  Oh sod, there's no date order to them and the filter doesn't help.  Perhaps in time the still active themes will come to the top. 

It is so very true I am an old giffer  ..but still  I do  understand the need for updates from one server to another, and/or from one package of computer software to the next generation ..but really I don't see why Microsoft nerds, or Windows' computer jockeys, or even an Autoshite Administrator  should keep changing what works well,  is familiar and comfortable.  Please be assured : Your tastes are not mine.   Please stop imposing them on me.   Let me explain :  I'm on Autoshite because I greatly prize and appreciate the fundamentals of basic cars and other vehicles.  I have never wanted a brand new auto-blob - which has moulded plastic wrapping around and over the car and throughout the engine bay,  nor soul-less grey plastic padding throughout the interior.   Please don't tell me that pink blancmange is the new beige -  It is not, it is kiddies poo. !

And please don't tell me that arial font or any other sans-serif font is easy to read for someone who is dyslexic.  I assure you - It Is NOT.   In case you are not aware - we read largely by the shape of a word  ie.,  Shape of a word   and that is for the most part is lost with the economy of sans-serif.  With tired eyes I simply cannot see in arial if the letter i when wlthin a word is an l.   .. so please give me the option to write in Times New Roman or similar.  

And who again says I want automatic  'spacing between lines'.   Surely I am old enough to decide for myself.?   

Sorry,  but this website's new 'style' just looks like someone's ego trying to be noticed.   ...Oh pretty please - say how clever I am !  

Poo !

p.s.  Aside from That :  Great job guys on keeping Autoshite up n' running - Big Thanks. 

I did wonder why you use a serif font on your posts; thanks for explaining to the uninitiated.

For all sorts of reasons the update needed to happen. No egos, just common sense to protect the future viability of the community. I’m sure all concerns can be addressed, including (perhaps) another different AS theme which is easier for other friends to read. 

Stick down your suggestions, I’m sure in time everyone will be satisfied. 

Yeah that was tough... I'm glad to be back.

Good work guys. I'm liking some new aspects already - the "activity" bit seems useful... and it looks generally better on a phone, I think. I'm sure that as we all get to know it more positives will emerge.

Agreed though that there are some readability issues. The font in the editor here while I type is pretty awful, too small and bold, and there is, I think, something wrong with the overall colour scheme, which is making my eyes go a bit weird. Can't quite put my finger on it but I think it needs a tweak. Generally it feels to me that there are too many different fonts, font sizes and variations used overall, and maybe too many tonally similar colours.

Funny how personal this is though. In the old forum I used to ignore Bfg's posts because of his choice of a serif font. To me it read like he had chosen to wear a top hat and a monocle and was looking down on the rest of us. I read and enjoyed his post above in a "normal" font, so I think that's one to reconsider. I've always found sans serif fonts more readable, and had always understood that to be a universal thing. The dyslexia thing is an interesting one - it's not commonly known, I don't think, and as someone who has trained as both a teacher and a graphic designer I'm shocked to have missed that one...

Not beige enough, this is more of a very weak cup of lukewarm drinking chocolate with too much milk, or Horlicks. It's all new and I don't like it. Change it some more so I can not like that too. Regardless of my petty griping well done to the boffins adjusting the virtual knobs, as the electrons seem to be flowing again.

Edit to add; my name has wrapped and now looks shit. That is actually a real gripe, albeit an utterly trivial one.

Edited by somewhatfoolish
extra moaning

2 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Hopefully no........

Did you know on the old website you could chose to turn them off, individually or en-mass.   I used to turn off many which imo were too long,  but equally used others to visually recognise particular person's posts.   My own included a discrete one-click-link (for me to use) back to 'my contents' page, which  saved a ton of scrolling up n' down.