Autoshite technical help. Ask questions about how the site works here.

Pillock

54 minutes ago, tobyd said:

I have reduced this down to 1280px square which should be adequate for 99% of images on a regular display. If you need to have 4k / 2560px images you'll need to host them on an image host or out of onedrive / drop box or something.

Ah right - is this why it's no longer possible to upload any images above 1.4MB using a mobile device?

I know the site resizes pics on upload, and that works fine for me in terms of resolution - but ever since the site changes I've found that any images larger than 1.4MB just hang as 'uploading'. Ultimately I have to exit out of the thread, then go back into it and try to reload my text before I can proceed. I don't seem to have an option on my phone to resize pics beyond simply cropping them, or even see what size the image is before uploading (although it seems that's a  phone limitation - Nokia 8.1 running Android 10, using Firefox 81.1.1).

I do a kind of liveblog/virtual car boot sale on a Friday morning for the Shite in Miniature thread at a local market, and it's gone from taking me about 15mins to upload pics of what's on the stalls to over an hour to mess about cropping and recropping pics to get them to upload, along with text. I appreciate that's not necessarily a function that the forum's geared towards, but I've been doing this for a few years now and I'd hate to have to call it a day.

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

I know the site resizes pics on upload, and that works fine for me in terms of resolution - but ever since the site changes I've found that any images larger than 1.4MB just hang as 'uploading'. Ultimately I have to exit out of the thread, then go back into it and try to reload my text before I can proceed. I don't seem to have an option on my phone to resize pics beyond simply cropping them, or even see what size the image is before uploading (although it seems that's a  phone limitation - Nokia 8.1 running Android 10, using Firefox 81.1.1).

I think this might be a problem with Firefox. Works fine on Chrome on my phone (I use Firefox by default, v81.1.1) but images about 1.4M don't upload as you described. I plugged my phone into the debugger and there is nothing there, no errors, no network activity, zip. Very Odd. I increased the limit temporarily back to 2k and it was still a problem. Firefox have an open bug about this exhibiting the exact symptoms but it was back on v62 - someone commented they were still seeing this on a phpBB forum. I don't know if this is related to the updates in FF v81 - that was quite an overhaul - or whether it predates that. Will keep digging.

I don't know if this is an issue for anyone else (and apologies if I've missed discussion elsewhere) but the unread notification font is much less big'n'bold than it used to be a week or so age. Makes it hard to distinguish between read and unread topics - not a huge problem, just mentioning. This is both on PC and 'phone.

One thing I have noticed recently is when I receive a notification about a post I have made (quote, reaction etc), when clicking I more than likely end up being sent to another member's post in that thread.

Same when I click the star/circle so I can continue reading where I left off, just end up elsewhere in the thread, either before or after the last one I read.

Any ideas @tobyd?

4 hours ago, tobyd said:

I think this might be a problem with Firefox. Works fine on Chrome on my phone (I use Firefox by default, v81.1.1) but images about 1.4M don't upload as you described.

Aha... that may be the culprit, then. I was previously using quite an old phone (Samsung J3) with probably quite an old version of Firefox until last month, and I [i]thought[/i] the new one was working ok for the first week until the forum upgrade - but maybe I just had smaller pics that week.

If I have to just use Chrome for my eagerly* anticipated Live From The Tat Market events, it's no biggie.  Cheers for checking that out!!

• 2 weeks later...

I can report that as of about five minutes ago the "feature" where the editor randomly decided to erase a whole chunk of the text you just typed out is still alive and well.

Really had been hoping we'd seen the back of that as it's absolutely maddening when it happens.  Not least because it's just infrequent enough that it keeps lulling you into thinking it's gone away before sneaking up and kicking you in the nuts again when you least expect it.

• 2 weeks later...

@tobyd can we please restore the max image size to how it was before?

I uploaded this screenshot to help another shitter save photos from Gumtree, and its been shrunk so much its almost illegible! 

image.thumb.png.b379ef9a2f6a8fffc7c1f8e3bab0febc.png

I did not have this problem with how it was before when it wast at 2K, and I really dont think it would use up all the amount of extra space! 

(especially not compared to the videos and other such that get uploaded here)

and I really dont want to use external image hosting websites as its well known just how shit those are and how they can screw you over or break at a moments notice and ruin whole forum threads

for example see this post made just a few days ago the externally hosted image is already broken!

On 25/10/2020 at 21:12, egg said:

I think I've mentioned before that in my mind the Mk1 Scootacar with it's 197 villiers (naturally) may have been quite suitable to adapt, but the doors would have needed some work.

oAEuL85tYwXjLlAdfbVMnSpqLMUBkDdqP15OSffF

6 minutes ago, spartacus said:

I only use the forum on mobile. Is there any way I can view all the threads I have started?

Top right, activity, content I started.

Image size still driving me nuts too, but it appears most people only browse on their phones so aren't bothered.

I think one reason image size bugs me so much is that I'm already paying for image hosting which works everywhere but here - Google photos.  But embedded Google photos just show up as an image icon. 

So instead the image is downloaded and re-uploaded  to here, only to be so small it's lost loads of detail.

Have noted a few videos that I can't view over the last few weeks, did a bit of investigation today and it appears that all videos actually hosted on here show up like this for me.

screenshot.thumb.png.dfe7416de4ab87ef8ad3d77833700992.png

I get the audio and the playback controls, but no video.  Embedded YouTube videos work fine.

This is the same on my phone, tablet and desktop.  Tried both Firefox and Chrome on all three with the same results.  The only solution I've found so far that does work is to reboot into Windows and use Edge (Chrome and Firefox behave exactly the same as under Android and Linux Mint).

I've tried disabling adblockers etc to no effect so honestly haven't a clue what's going on.

11 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Have noted a few videos that I can't view over the last few weeks, did a bit of investigation today and it appears that all videos actually hosted on here show up like this for me.

screenshot.thumb.png.dfe7416de4ab87ef8ad3d77833700992.png

I get the audio and the playback controls, but no video.  Embedded YouTube videos work fine.

This is the same on my phone, tablet and desktop.  Tried both Firefox and Chrome on all three with the same results.  The only solution I've found so far that does work is to reboot into Windows and use Edge (Chrome and Firefox behave exactly the same as under Android and Linux Mint).

I've tried disabling adblockers etc to no effect so honestly haven't a clue what's going on.

interesting for me videos like that tend to show up as downloadable's 

image.png.47d230038829c4af98495107bb66ca84.png

where I click on it and it downloads to my computer and I can play it fine

(latest version of Chrome, Mac OS X 10.14.6)

I know some other formats will play in the browser for me on the forum but I cant quite recall which to go back and find one to see what it currently does

• 1 month later...

Just encountered another editor issue which I don't recall seeing mentioned before.

I was listing a few things A, B, C etc...with a colon to denote the prefix before the text.  When I got to C it interpreted me typing C followed by a colon to mean I wanted a smily face inserted instead.  I've never deliberately used a smily in my life.

However once it was there there appeared to be no way to delete the damned thing.   Even doing select all and delete didn't get rid of the sucker... I've had this happen with user tags once before too - on one of the few occasions I actually got them to appear (I've just stopped bothering now).

After fighting with it for ten minutes and nearly hurling the phone out the window I just gave up and chalked it up to get another way this editor has found to annoy the hell out of me.

God I wish Invision would give us a plain text editor, even if the "too damned smart for its own good" option was the default.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2020 at 19:32, dozeydustman said:

One thing I have noticed recently is when I receive a notification about a post I have made (quote, reaction etc), when clicking I more than likely end up being sent to another member's post in that thread.

Same when I click the star/circle so I can continue reading where I left off, just end up elsewhere in the thread, either before or after the last one I read.

Any ideas @tobyd?

Yesterday I clicked on the grumpy thread to moan. I have been on that thread this year and commented previously, clicked the little star and I got taken back to 2013.

Fully up to date with my reading of it so no idea why I keep getting sent to random posts when I open one up of respond to a notification that I’ve been quoted or someone reacted

13 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

Yesterday I clicked on the grumpy thread to moan. I have been on that thread this year and commented previously, clicked the little star and I got taken back to 2013.

I find that happens to me when another thread gets merged into an existing thread

for whatever reason it confuses the last read post tracker

not a big deal as it does not happen regularly (to me anyway!) thankfully

On 16/01/2021 at 20:43, Remspoor said:

Now I see why it took a bit of time for me to be reconnected. Thank you for the help.

Was your email a Microsoft one (outlook, hotmail, hosted office365)? We've had problems with them of late.
Also problems with everyone else but i think most of them are ok with us again. We are only so-so with MS at the moment.
I'm looking to sort out the contact-us page too.

7 hours ago, tobyd said:

Was your email a Microsoft one (outlook, hotmail, hosted office365)? We've had problems with them of late.
Also problems with everyone else but i think most of them are ok with us again. We are only so-so with MS at the moment.
I'm looking to sort out the contact-us page too.

None of the above.

I joined using gmail. I then switched to my email associated with my website. That has it's own server and based here Spain.  That switch meant I could receive daily updates for a week or so. Then they stopped again. I went back to the Gmail and then tried another email server with a temporary address. None of them worked. Just after Xmas was when I never received any link to change email address. Then I could not get back in.

I normally use thunderbird but I can also read the own server and gmail on line. Nothing got through.

7 hours ago, loserone said:

Holler if you need any help with DMARC

Cheers but i think it's all OK, Gmail likes our setup, MXToolbox likes us, mail tester likes us its just Microsoft that don't. We are on the naughty step ish with them at the moment.

15 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

None of the above.

I joined using gmail. I then switched to my email associated with my website. That has it's own server and based here Spain.  That switch meant I could receive daily updates for a week or so. Then they stopped again. I went back to the Gmail and then tried another email server with a temporary address. None of them worked. Just after Xmas was when I never received any link to change email address. Then I could not get back in.

I normally use thunderbird but I can also read the own server and gmail on line. Nothing got through.

Could you PM me your mail domain and i'll check the logs to see if they don't like us and I need to send them a BL cigar lighter bribe to get us whitelisted?